• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next Season's Goalies- Who Ya Got?

Anybodyhome

Who Ya Got in Net?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Both Raanta and Andersen are UFAs. Who stays?

• Freddie
    • Raanta

Both Freddie Andersen and Anti Raanta are unrestricted free agents. Who does Waddell and RBA decide to keep?

Tough one here. Andersen is a very good goalie, but will be injured and miss 10-15 games per season hurt. And, I think the post season gets in his head. Meanwhile, Raanta is a guy who gives up a head-scratcher every game, it seems, and he has never shown he can go a 10-15 game stretch and not lose some of his focus. Yeah, he was pretty outstanding last season when Freddie went down, but he had a lot of help in front of him and the team was rolling.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1

6 hours ago, DavidEng said:

Kotchetkov. hasn’t shown me enough consistent good play to see him as the  backup.

I'm right there with ya. He came on like gangbusters, but fell back to earth pretty quickly and, right now, he's not even a viable option as a backup, especially if Freddie remains the starter. We all know Andersen will miss significant time due to injury at some point and having to rely on Kochetkov for a stretch of 10-15 games would be a disaster.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I'm right there with ya. He came on like gangbusters, but fell back to earth pretty quickly and, right now, he's not even a viable option as a backup, especially if Freddie remains the starter. We all know Andersen will miss significant time due to injury at some point and having to rely on Kochetkov for a stretch of 10-15 games would be a disaster.

Fred is a UFA. Pyotr is 23 now. We signed him to a 4 year deal this past season. That wasn't to chill in the AHL--as is AHL/NHL salary is the same now. He has shown enough while being young to be in a backup role considering Freddie/injuries likely won't be part of the team this next year.

Considering the other areas we need to spend money, it makes more sense to have the cheap young backup/possible future star, albeit possibly inconsistent--no more so than the injury inconsistency of Raanta/Fred last few seasons.

Pyotr has playoff and previous NHL experience at 23. He was 12-7-5 last season with 4 shutouts, 2.44 GAA. Pending he continues improving that's plenty fine clip for a backup. Fred carried a 2.48 last year before putting up the 1.83 in the playoffs.

Edited by backINblack28
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, backINblack28 said:

Fred is a UFA. Pyotr is 23 now. We signed him to a 4 year deal this past season. That wasn't to chill in the AHL--as is AHL/NHL salary is the same now. He has shown enough while being young to be in a backup role considering Freddie/injuries likely won't be part of the team this next year.

Considering the other areas we need to spend money, it makes more sense to have the cheap young backup/possible future star, albeit possibly inconsistent--no more so than the injury inconsistency of Raanta/Fred last few seasons.

Pyotr has playoff and previous NHL experience at 23. He was 12-7-5 last season with 4 shutouts, 2.44 GAA. Pending he continues improving that's plenty fine clip for a backup. Fred carried a 2.48 last year before putting up the 1.83 in the playoffs.

Raanta was 2.23 .911 SV% regular season I’d rather see him back again as starter or as the backup if we pick up a top goalie.

Pytor got smoked his one playoff game but agree he has potential. 

Edited by DavidEng
  • Pie 1

16 hours ago, DavidEng said:

Raanta was 2.23 .911 SV% regular season I’d rather see him back again as starter or as the backup if we pick up a top goalie.

Pytor got smoked his one playoff game but agree he has potential. 

But Raanta is aging and has injury history and Kotchetkov is younger with potential and we literally already essentially gave him a backup contract deal.  If you don't think Pyotr is going to get paid 2m per year to be full time backup you're essentially admitting we can't re-sign Staal or Pesce because we have to direct yet another couple mil at another backup goalie.  It's time.  Pyotr getting 2 years of experience AND playoff experience at this point is way more than Cam Ward had at this point--he made his debut at this age.  Yes.  20 year olds are inconsistent.  It's time.  We have other areas we'll need to spend on.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

But Raanta is aging and has injury history

Freddie is only a year younger and has an injury history much more significant than Anti Raanta.

I don't mind that Kochetkov will be the backup. I just fear the 10-15 game stretch when Freddie or Raanta goes down with an injury and Pyotr is a regular.

2021-2022 he played 5 games with a 2.42 GAA and a .902 SV.

2022-2023 he played 24 games with a 2.44 GAA and a .909 SV. I think he was 12-7-5 in those 24 games. Points notwithstanding, that's .500 hockey guys.

But the playoffs.... ugh..... 2021-2022: 4 GP, 3.88 GAA and a .869 SV. 2022-2023: 1 GP, 6.18 GAA, .818 SV.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Freddie is only a year younger and has an injury history much more significant than Anti Raanta.

I don't mind that Kochetkov will be the backup. I just fear the 10-15 game stretch when Freddie or Raanta goes down with an injury and Pyotr is a regular.

2021-2022 he played 5 games with a 2.42 GAA and a .902 SV.

2022-2023 he played 24 games with a 2.44 GAA and a .909 SV. I think he was 12-7-5 in those 24 games. Points notwithstanding, that's .500 hockey guys.

But the playoffs.... ugh..... 2021-2022: 4 GP, 3.88 GAA and a .869 SV. 2022-2023: 1 GP, 6.18 GAA, .818 SV.

I think his playoff numbers are unfair because he was thrust into impossible situations.  The Freddie blunder game in NJ as a heaping example.  And same with Boston when we had injuries.

Regardless, it's the time where we have to do it.  You can just go look at the salary cap.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

we have Aho, Pesce, Chatfield, Skjei and Tuevo to extend again (or trade) for 24-25.

Drury trade

RFAs in 23-24:

Puljujarvi, Coghlan

RFAs in 24-25:

Necas, Jarvis, Suzuki, Rees

UFA in 23-24:

Staal, Fast, MacEachern, Stastny, Stepan, De Haan, Ghost, Lajoie, Fred, Raanta, Patches, Kase, Gardiner

Obviously there are plenty of dudes here we will not re-sign and hopefully we get Staal on a huge hometown/want to stay discount.  But we will have a lot of guys to replace regardless, in addition to needing to make at least one big splashy forward add, and likely signing 2 goalies. To say we want a new starter plus bringing one back is directly to take away from the splashy forward add or depth signings. I don't want to do that. It's Pyotr's time.  If he sucks in a backup role, we can do something at the trade deadline. 

But signing him to a 2m per year extension last year meant we were always prepping him at least to be the backup starting now. You don't pay a 3rd string goalie 2m per and get to shore up the rest of the roster.  The wishlist has to account for the amount of dudes we have to extend or replace, and it doesn't work with Kotchetkov on the payroll at goalie 3 + adding 2 more goalies/keeping what we have with new deals. If we wan't Hellybuyck or Korpisalo or Saaros, you HAVE to live with stepping up at 1 and stepping back ish at 2. To me, any of those 3 + Kotchetkov > freddie + raanta + kotchetkov because of the injuries/money that all of those 3 would make as they're all in line for likely getting raises on the open market and i don't want it to be us doing it knowing the injury stuff we do.

Edited by backINblack28
  • Flames 1