• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Deangelo

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

2 right-handers on the third pair?

I thought it might be a move to plug the Ghost hole, but it also means you only have 2 left-hands on the blue line.

Chatfield played his off side a good amount last year when there were injuries and looked damn good doing it, wouldn’t have any concerns with him playing the left side. I also imagine the 7D will be a lefty that can rotate in.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Oh and it definitely means that one of the upcoming free agent defenseman are going to be on the move imo. 

Don’t think it means that at all (for this year).

TDA is in the same boat as Skjei and Pesce, they all only have one year left on their contract. Acquiring TDA does absolutely nothing to fix the problem of not having any second pairing defenseman under contract for 2024.

I definitely think Pesce gets extended, Skjei probably just walks, and TDA might get extended after the year is over if he plays well.

Something else to consider, when TDA was QB’ing the PP two years ago our PP was ranked 13th, last year it was 20th.

He’s not coming here to play top defensive minutes, Rod will give him sheltered minutes on the third pairing and he’ll QB the PP.

And for those that don’t think he can be sheltered, he was +30 in his time as a Hurricane, Rod knows how to handle TDA.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Something else to consider, when TDA was QB’ing the PP two years ago our PP was ranked 13th, last year it was 20th.

He’s not coming here to play top defensive minutes, Rod will give him sheltered minutes on the third pairing and he’ll QB the PP.

And for those that don’t think he can be sheltered, he was +30 in his time as a Hurricane, Rod knows how to handle TDA.

This is actually happening though? I thought we time traveled back to April 1.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

This is actually happening though? I thought we time traveled back to April 1.

LeBrun said it hit a snag but I saw a Philly insider recently say it’s been ironed out.

The original proposal was:

Carolina Receives: Tony DeAngelo (50% retained)

Philadelphia Receives: An unsigned prospect from Carolina. Many speculated it’s either Bokk or Wall with the most likely being Wall.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

LeBrun said it hit a snag but I saw a Philly insider recently say it’s been ironed out.

Philadelphia Receives: An unsigned prospect from Carolina. Many speculated it’s either Bokk or Wall with the most likely being Wall.

50% retained is nuts! And only for a prospect? That tells me Philly wants him gone yesterday. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Would you bump burns? I personally wouldn’t. Let TDA QB unit 2. Or maybe do something that would equate to less minutes for burns over the season but in crucial games keep burns on 1.

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Would you bump burns? I personally wouldn’t. Let TDA QB unit 2. Or maybe do something that would equate to less minutes for burns over the season but in crucial games keep burns on 1.

Honestly not sure what the plan is but I’m under the belief that TDA is coming to be a third pairing guy and help the PP.

I might be in the minority but I don’t think this has anything to do with Pesce. I think you specifically go get TDA so you can bring back Pesce. I don’t think you’ll find many, if any, guys out there that can do what TDA did for us a couple years ago at a $2.5M cap hit.

Last year, Staal’s and Ghost’s combined cap hit was around $10.5M, Carolina would now have Staal and TDA at a combined cap hit of around $5.5M. That just opened up $5M in cap space to give to Pesce.

If I’m wrong and TDA is playing top four minutes then I’ll be right there with the rest of you guys, pitchfork in hand, marching on PNC Arena. But I truly believe TDA is solely being brought in for the PP and third pairing.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

TDA was a league worst -15.1 defensive goals above replacement in Philly last year. For all intent & purpose, a skating slalom. Imagine what Aho did to him last season and add 10 more of those. That's how bad he was.

Think of the money Chatfield will get if he survives a season covering TDA fug-ups.

Oh, and I'm in the camp this has nothing to do with Pesce. It's to fill the spot Ghost is leaving.

• Pie 2