• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney's Biggest Mistake

Delhommey

interesting point about jarrett

"He's a football player," said Miami Dolphins general manager Randy Muller, who dismissed comparisons between Jarrett and former USC receiver Mike Williams

, who has flopped with Detroit. "That's a prime example of 'just watch the film.' He has one of the better sets of hands that you'll ever see. He's a big man and he catches it when he's covered. Those are all good things. Who knows how he'll turn out, but this guy's got the skins on the wall.

"When he does get covered, you can't underestimate how big the man is, so he can catch it when he's covered. He's going to be a really good red-zone target because of that. Again, it's about taking a guy's skill set and putting him in a position where his strengths are accentuated. You aren't going to ask him to run by corners all day."

How about trading the pick that year and having Flacco and Otah instead.

The biggest mistake Hurney made was not having some balls to stand up to Julius Peppers. Hell...he let ONE PLAYER determine our entire draft last year. The only reason we traded into position to get Brown was because Hurney's feet were being held to the fire by Pep.

If we don't make THAT trade then we are sitting in perfect position to grab Sam Bradford. Or...make another trade to move down and get another good QB in the first round.

This move got Hurney an NFC South crown last year, so I respectfully disagree with the OP. Hurney's biggest mistake(s) were this past offseason when he locked in an aging non productive Jake Delhomme, then traded away our one immediate chance to replace him for a 2nd round project DE, and mishandling the Peppers situation.

Jonathan Stewart has been a good player for us and is a big part of our offense. He's gonna have a bright future in Carolina. We have the best RB duo in the LEAGUE and that is something Id rather have than not.

To me, the biggest mistake was giving Jake the contract they gave them in the offseason. I realize that in part it was a cap move but they didn't have to go that far to get some cap relief. I think they were trying to give Jake a pat on the back with that contract and bolster his confidence by showing their commitment to him... but it has totally backfired.

The 2nd part of this mistake was not bringing in another QB you trusted to compete with McCown as a potential starter if Jake picked up where he left off last year (which he did). They were ready to put McCown out there, but then McCown was hurt and they had so little trust in Moore that they would rather keep sending Jake out there while he attempted and all-time single season interceptions record and in general looked totally lost. They should have better prepared for a scenario where neither Jake nor McCown could play... why again have we been using up a roster spot on Moore for 3 years if we have this little faith in him?

The most important position on the team is QB and Hurney failed to put us in a position where we had a "plan C" we trusted - to me, that's incompetent. Overall, I think Hurney has been a good GM, but this QB situation is a big stain on his record and may be his final mistake.

But the fact is that the last starting caliber QB that landed in our lap was Flacco. We should've drafted Flacco and Otah instead of Stewart and Otah in order to give our team more balance. We could've still gotten a backup RB some other way. We still had Birmingham who has been good in preseason when given the chance. Or we could've picked up someone else. This year we picked up Goodson and Sutton. Who could be our #2 and #3 if we picked up Flacco instead of Stewart. And who knows what our record would be right now. I think we would have at least 3 more wins.

Not drafting Flacco AND giving Delhomme that contract in the offseason were HUGE mistakes.

Archived