• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Cuts

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Whatever when we are down to our 3rd string LT and he allows a sack we will all be upset. Erving would never do that. 

Erving isn't good enough to make a practice squad anymore.  He got out performed by a DII player that is 30 lbs lighter. Think about that for a minute. 

The team has 99 problems, but the oline depth isn't one of them right now. The depth last year was nonexistent as it was. Now it has better depth after they were battle tested in the preseason and in camp. With luck, how much better in the long haul will hopefully not have to be determined in live games this season at least. Next offseason will be another re-evaluation and adjustments as necessary.

• Pie 3

This Ricky Lee guy was signed out of nowhere by the team, clearly he impressed the Panther scouts for SOME reason. And he's continued to impress...even if he is from a small school.

On the other hand, we were all scratching our heads when we first signed Cam Irving, based on his history. We've seen nothing to change that narrative. 

It's Ickey. Lee. And we know Christensen can also fill in at LT.

• Beer 1

Just now, 96Bravo said:

This Ricky Lee guy was signed out of nowhere by the team, clearly he impressed the Panther scouts for SOME reason. And he's continued to impress...even if he is from a small school.

On the other hand, we were all scratching our heads when we first signed Cam Irving, based on his history. We've seen nothing to change that narrative. 

It's Ickey. Lee. And we know Christensen can also fill in at LT.

Once you step into a training camp the college you attended does not matter.  As long as you can play the position it does not matter one bit where you got a degree. This is big boy school and all they want to know is can you get it done. Apparently Ricky can.

• Beer 2

29 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Once you step into a training camp the college you attended does not matter.  As long as you can play the position it does not matter one bit where you got a degree. This is big boy school and all they want to know is can you get it done. Apparently Ricky can.

This. I don't care where you went to school. Well, if you went to UNC that's an added bonus but other than that if you can play you can play and I want you. I thought Ickey was the safest OL in the draft because of potential positional versatility. I thought that if he didn't work out at LT worst case scenario he'd end up being a very good OG. Not exactly what you want out of a top 10 pick but a helluva lot better than an outright bust.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

This. I don't care where you went to school. Well, if you went to UNC that's an added bonus but other than that if you can play you can play and I want you. I thought Ickey was the safest OL in the draft because of potential positional versatility. I thought that if he didn't work out at LT worst case scenario he'd end up being a very good OG. Not exactly what you want out of a top 10 pick but a helluva lot better than an outright bust.

Ickey still is the best Tackle in that draft. He will be fine.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, guards have become far more highly paid and important in the last several years than they ever were before.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Hell, guards have become far more highly paid and important in the last several years than they ever were before.

In the types of spread schemes that are commonplace in the NFL these days it's a lot harder to hide a weak link in your OL. You need five guys who can all hold their own if you want to have five receiving options available.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Frank has all the confidence in the world in Ickey.  That's enough for me.

I loved how he played down the stretch last year but that was in a run heavy scheme that really fit Ickey's strengths. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned watching edge rushers blowing by Ickey with alarming regularity this preseason.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I loved how he played down the stretch last year but that was in a run heavy scheme that really fit Ickey's strengths. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned watching edge rushers blowing by Ickey with alarming regularity this preseason.

That's just growing pains. New calls and new assignments will take time. They will get it ironed out soon enough. He's the last of my worries on this team right now.

• Pie 1