• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young needs to ride the bench this season. Let him learn behind Dalton before it's too late.

jasonluckydog

2 hours ago, jasonluckydog said:

Back in the day, it was normal almost expected that a rookie QB would sit back and learn from a seasoned pro before getting the start the following season. If Young doesn't show improvement on Monday Night against the Saints they should bench him before they ruin him. Let him learn behind Dalton. Not every 1st round QB is ready to take the reigns their first season.  Nothing wrong with that, it doesn't mean he is a bust. 

I mentioned earlier that most NFL teams do not play rookie QBs immediately.  They learn behind a veteran.  Look at Jordon Love at Green Bay.

however, this decision should have been made before the preseason games.  I am not saying that starting Young was not the proper decision.  I am saying that benching Young after the first game of the season is a mistake.

We humans are emotional creatures.  (Approximately %90 emotion %10 logic). It is very important to control emotions when making any decisions.  This consideration sounds like panic. 

it is only the first game of the season.  Give Young 2 or 3 more games.  Then make a more realistic assessment.  You still have time to recover.

I was extremely unsatisfied with Bryce Young as a draft pick.  I felt he sh*t the bed pretty badly yesterday, and I'm not willing to use "he's a rookie" as an excuse. It's a weak excuse, and the mistakes he made had little to do with him being a rookie. Overall, I'm not excited or hopeful about him as the future of the franchise either.  

All that being said, benching him now would ENSURE his failure and absolutely destroy his confidence.  You can't make that move at this point.  That decision would have had to have been made back in early August.  You have to stick with your horse and pray he figures it out, and pray that guys like me are wrong.

"Mortgage the future" is an exaggeration but I get what he means, especially with how loaded the 2024 QB Class could be (although I do think some of the QBs are a bit overhyped).

I am sold on Bryce Young though, so no worries from me.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

And the seconds and Moore.   That’s a lot of depth to replace.  If Bryce works then it is what it is.   If not we are back at square one.   

The other picks were irrelevant.  We still have a future.  Nothing was given up but two of our skill players. Granted it was our 2 best skill players but it's not our "future". What we had wasn't working so we started over. This is what happens when you clean house. Get used to it this season. 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If that's what you think. But I'm telling you, if Bryce busts everybody is getting fired and it's another reset minus a landing a Purdy or Howell in the late rounds scenario.

Okay IF.. Even thoe we seen 2 teams come off a bust rookie QB and still been competitive and relevant..

see San Fran and New York Jets

4 minutes ago, Green-Ghost said:

I mentioned earlier that most NFL teams do not play rookie QBs immediately.  They learn behind a veteran.  Look at Jordon Love at Green Bay.

however, this decision should have been made before the preseason games.  I am not saying that starting Young was not the proper decision.  I am saying that benching Young after the first game of the season is a mistake.

We humans are emotional creatures.  (Approximately %90 emotion %10 logic). It is very important to control emotions when making any decisions.  This consideration sounds like panic. 

it is only the first game of the season.  Give Young 2 or 3 more games.  Then make a more realistic assessment.  You still have time to recover.

Yeah, Love sat. That's not the norm in today's NFL though. All the first round rookie QBs this year were week one starters.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

And the seconds and Moore.   That’s a lot of depth to replace.  If Bryce works then it is what it is.   If not we are back at square one.   

I love Moore but we need to stop acting like we lost Terek Hill and he can’t be replaced..

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I was extremely unsatisfied with Bryce Young as a draft pick.  I felt he sh*t the bed pretty badly yesterday, and I'm not willing to use "he's a rookie" as an excuse. It's a weak excuse, and the mistakes he made had little to do with him being a rookie. 

Being a rookie is not a "weak excuse."  It ain't like Young looked like Jimmy Clausen out there.