• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and Fox still "have confidence in Jake."

Carl Spackler

I seriously don't know how some people can still defend Hurney (Ccat).

Aw I feel special :D. It's O.K. though seriously. Everyone has different opinions based on their perspective on any given issue. I just think we could be a lot worse off than we are and I don't want to risk screwing things up worse.

Aw I feel special :D. It's O.K. though seriously. Everyone has different opinions based on their perspective on any given issue. I just think we could be a lot worse off than we are and I don't want to risk screwing things up worse.

sorry, but that's an awful way of looking at things.

if your goal is to just be better than a total disaster then you are never going to get anywhere unless you are just lucky. to be the best you have to try and be the best. you can't get there hoping to just be better than the worst of your competition.

I don't want to risk screwing things up worse.
so you would never try to make things better because you are afraid of failing? sounds like a john fox disciple to me.

seriously....making the mistake in the first place would be bad and grounds for considering dismissal. their refusal to admit it, that their confidence in jake was misplaced....give them the boot.

i don't care about their past successes....thats what they were supposed to have. it's the boneheaded errors that would decide your fate.

they need to hire a six sigma black belt to come in and fix things.

sorry, but that's an awful way of looking at things.

if your goal is to just be better than a total disaster then you are never going to get anywhere unless you are just lucky. to be the best you have to try and be the best. you can't get there hoping to just be better than the worst of your competition.so you would never try to make things better because you are afraid of failing? sounds like a john fox disciple to me.

seriously....making the mistake in the first place would be bad and grounds for considering dismissal. their refusal to admit it, that their confidence in jake was misplaced....give them the boot.

i don't care about their past successes....thats what they were supposed to have. it's the boneheaded errors that would decide your fate.

they need to hire a six sigma black belt to come in and fix things.

Don't assume my entire opinion on the matter based off of one post. I have said before that it's not just that he is better than a train wreck. I believe he has done a pretty damn good job although he has made mistakes. Most GM's do make mistakes though.

Edit: I think the point I am trying to make is that I know it is possible to improve at GM because Hurney certainly isn't the best, but we can't just go fire him because he isn't perfect and HOPE that we can find someone better. I'm waiting for some names to be thrown out for who would be replacing him.

I am not completely against getting rid of Hurney, but I want to know who we would be targeting as a replacement first. Give me some names to think about.

Don't assume my entire opinion on the matter based off of one post. I have said before that it's not just that he is better than a train wreck. I believe he has done a pretty damn good job although he has made mistakes. Most GM's do make mistakes though.

Edit: I think the point I am trying to make is that I know it is possible to improve at GM because Hurney certainly isn't the best, but we can't just go fire him because he isn't perfect and HOPE that we can find someone better. I'm waiting for some names to be thrown out for who would be replacing him.

I am not completely against getting rid of Hurney, but I want to know who we would be targeting as a replacement first. Give me some names to think about.

I will tell you why Hurney is horrible because you do not understand.

50.7% of the players he drafted in the past eight years are still on the team (33/65).

If you take out the last three years where the majority of players are still in rookie contacts, that numbers falls to 26.8% (11/41).

11 players of those still on the team from Hurney's drafts the past eight years are starters. 11. Hurney has drafted 11 starters in 8 years. Out of 65 draft selections, 11 are starters on our team.

Now lets look at free agency.

Good things:

Tyler Brayton.

Signing Jake Delhomme in the first place.

Na'il Diggs.

Getting Chris Harris (was a trade, I know, but I'll put it here.)

Bad things:

Kemo's inflated contract.

Jake's new contract.

Mike Wahle.

Keyshawn Johnson.

Ken Lucas.

Letting Spoon go.

Letting Moose go years ago.

Not pursuing a backup WR this past off season.

Thinking that Carter and Colbert were good enough to be a number 2 WR for that painful period of time.

Letting all O-Line depth go in one off-season.

Damione Lewis' over sized contract.

Landon Johnson.

Crippling our cap to the point where we can't even pursue mid-level free agents.

Your turn to say why he isn't so bad.

I will tell you why Hurney is horrible because you do not understand.

50.7% of the players he drafted in the past eight years are still on the team (33/65).

If you take out the last three years where the majority of players are still in rookie contacts, that numbers falls to 26.8% (11/41).

11 players of those still on the team from Hurney's drafts the past eight years are starters. 11. Hurney has drafted 11 starters in 8 years. Out of 65 draft selections, 11 are starters on our team.

Now lets look at free agency.

Good things:

Tyler Brayton.

Signing Jake Delhomme in the first place.

Na'il Diggs.

Getting Chris Harris (was a trade, I know, but I'll put it here.)

Bad things:

Kemo's inflated contract.

Jake's new contract.

Mike Wahle.

Keyshawn Johnson.

Ken Lucas.

Letting Spoon go.

Letting Moose go years ago.

Not pursuing a backup WR this past off season.

Thinking that Carter and Colbert were good enough to be a number 2 WR for that painful period of time.

Letting all O-Line depth go in one off-season.

Damione Lewis' over sized contract.

Landon Johnson.

Crippling our cap to the point where we can't even pursue mid-level free agents.

Your turn to say why he isn't so bad.

You make some good points but first two things:

1. Don't just provide me with his numbers about starters he has drafted in the last 8 years and all that. Provide me with the exact same stats with the rest of the league to compare.

I think 11 is pretty good considering how you put it. That means that BESIDES people still on their rookie contracts (off the top of my head 5 starters are still on their rookie contracts I think) there are 11 starters that STAYED! This doesn't mean there have only been 11 starters drafted. Some have left to free agency correct? Did you account for that in your provided stats? No.

And that's from 5 years worth of drafting, because you are exempting rookie contracts. So 11 starters that have not only been drafted, but that have also stayed in 5 years of drafting. Doesn't sound too bad, but I would need to research the rest of the league before really judging.

Also that means that what, only 6 of our starters weren't drafted here? Not bad also it seems like on first guess.

2. Your list of good and bad things, just remember that it is easier to think of those bad things off the top of your head more than the good ones because the bad moves make us angry, but we really don't get too excited when they make a good move because we take it for granted. I'm sure if you went back and looked at all the moves they have made closely, the good list would get a lot longer.

Just my $.02

Edit: Also, I don't have time to discuss this any more right now because I have to go to Richmond and I won't be back till tomorrow night unless I have a chance to get on the internet there. I would love to discuss this more though if you want to.

Just remember, I'm not trying to argue against you and defend Hurney. Like I mentioned (maybe in another thread), I'm not close minded to firing Hurney at all. I don't think he is all that, but everyone that wants to fire him, and I haven't really noticed any names as possible replacements. That's the main thing I want to know first. I don't want to just fire a guy because he isn't the best, and then hope that we can bring someone in that is going to do better. Give me some names to discuss or something.

You make some good points but first two things:

1. Don't just provide me with his numbers about starters he has drafted in the last 8 years and all that. Provide me with the exact same stats with the rest of the league to compare.

Agreed, if you want those stats to mean anything, you have to show how they compare to the rest of the league. Otherwise, it doesn mean anything.

Archived