• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All 22 Review: Panthers vs Viking [Week 4 2023]

TheCasillas

30 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

• Starting to see a theme here with our deep shots…. Sacks. This is the fumble play by Bryce. Looks like this play was a deep shot to Chark on the right side, but it just never developed. We had both DJ Chark and Marsette going big on this play. We just can’t line these calls up with our protection. Very Frustrating. [VIDEO]

Great job.  This stuff is illuminating, but it also can be hard to draw full conclusions on certain plays because we aren't in the rooms with the players and coaches, so we don't know what the protection schemes should be or what the progressions are for reading the routes. 

On this one, I can't tell if this is on the offensive line or on Bryce.  It could be that the protection wasn't properly called pre-snap and/or that combined with deceptive blitz design by the Vikings.  Basically, the offensive line doesn't kick out to block the free rusher, but that's because it looks like there are multiple guys running at the RT and RG only for one of them to drop in coverage after a step and a half toward them on a feigned blitz.  The offensive line has to block inside out, as the inside defenders have a shorter route to the QB.  This left the LG with noone to block, with Moton handling the end, allowing the defender furthest out with a free run at Bryce.

Without knowing how they handle protections, I don't know if this is an issue with how the protection was called once the Vikings showed blitz, an issue with the offensive linemen communicating pass offs o blocks during the play, or something else.  It's tough to diagnose who is and isn't going to come on a Brian Flores defense, so my assumption is that the offense has to assume they all are and call the protection accordingly.  With the look the VIkings showed pre-snap, that would mean Bryce should have known that there would be a guy unblocked and that defender was his responsibility, meaning he has to hit his guy on a hot route quickly after the snap.  He has Hurst open on the curl route to his left and should have gotten the ball to him in that scenario.  But it looks like Bryce didn't conside that blitzer as his responsibility.  Not sure if that's on him or someone else, as I don't know if Bryce or Bozeman calls the protections.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Can't wait for all the anti-Bryce folks to come and bash the one person who actually takes time to analyze film and figure out what's what because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Outstanding work.

It’s incredible for a football forum how majority of vocal posters here have their knowledge end at “bust cause not throwing bombs”

• Pie 7
  • Flames 2

^To add on to my post above, I agree that it looks like the offensive line is really crippling the offense.  You didn't show any clips of run plays, but in addition to them struggling to pass block, they are also not executing in the run game.

That's not to excuse some of the other scheme issues.  I believe that if Reich would open the playbook from Bryce like he did for Dalton, that would mitigate some of our issues.  But like you said, the offensive line is just brutal and is torpedoing the good stuff that Riech does come up with.

• Pie 1

@TheCasillas truly appreciate the write up and sharing of all 22 film. 

The Ickey illegal man down the field is frustrating for two reasons: it happened away from the play of action, where Shenault catches a screen on the opposite side and gets tackled at the Vikings 8-yard line. 

The play is called back, and two plays later Bryce fumbles. Complete momentum shift

Quick rant - I don't understand how Ian Thomas has survived making 53-man rosters for three Panthers coaches - Rivera, Rhule, and Reich. He's not that great of a blocker and zero receiving threat. 

• Pie 3

Thank you for doing this write up. Truly great posting. It feels like as bad as things look, we do have a few pros. CJ looks to be worth a third, DJ look to be worth a third, and YGM a second. This is all 1 game but if we get DJ and YGM both growing into this scheme as young players it would be huge. CJ is so hot and cold but I will give him benefit of doubt being only 4 games into a new scheme. If Jaycee is ever healthy again and CJ plays into what we saw this weekend consistently, that’s a great 1/2 and corner. 

I don’t know what to make of Ickey, just extremely disappointing slump. I am holding out the slightest hope that when Corbett comes back the line tightens up. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

^To add on to my post above, I agree that it looks like the offensive line is really crippling the offense.  You didn't show any clips of run plays, but in addition to them struggling to pass block, they are also not executing in the run game.

That's not to excuse some of the other scheme issues.  I believe that if Reich would open the playbook from Bryce like he did for Dalton, that would mitigate some of our issues.  But like you said, the offensive line is just brutal and is torpedoing the good stuff that Riech does come up with.

Run plays were pretty bad, there were a few good ones. I didnt spend much time on our run plays because they were very frustrating to watch, just absolutely no push. Here is an example

We have bodies on bodies on that play but their bodies toss ours around and Throcmorton just goes nowhere with his man. It comes off as if Throckmorton isnt trying, but we know he is.

• Pie 1

@TheCasillas in your opinion, what are the main needs we should be targeting at the trade deadline and further looking in the draft and free agency? Feels like G, WR, and LB are the big 3 to me. DB I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Troy Hill stepping up but we are 1 more injury away from having a CFL lineup back there. 

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Run plays were pretty bad, there were a few good ones. I didnt spend much time on our run plays because they were very frustrating to watch, just absolutely no push. Here is an example

We have bodies on bodies on that play but their bodies toss ours around and Throcmorton just goes nowhere with his man. It comes off as if Throckmorton isnt trying, but we know he is.

Puzzling.  Last season the personnel that remains this year showed they can get push in the run game.  Hard to blame scheme for failing to do so when you actually get engaged, unless there's something I don't know about technique wise about what the coaches are implementing schematically that doesn't allow the players to utilize their full strength and/or leverage.  I suppose that's possible.

Regardless, they need to improve.  

11 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

Puzzling.  Last season the personnel that remains this year showed they can get push in the run game.  Hard to blame scheme for failing to do so when you actually get engaged, unless there's something I don't know about technique wise about what the coaches are implementing schematically that doesn't allow the players to utilize their full strength and/or leverage.  I suppose that's possible.

Regardless, they need to improve.  

We are running a new run scheme this year. Last year was a simple downhill run scheme. Thomas Brown's run play designs are a bit more complex, and I have to think that Zavala and Throckmorton are just struggling to pick it up. 

There is a lot of timing in TB's run play design, and it just seems that Throckmorton and Zavala can't get the cadence down.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

@TheCasillas in your opinion, what are the main needs we should be targeting at the trade deadline and further looking in the draft and free agency? Feels like G, WR, and LB are the big 3 to me. DB I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Troy Hill stepping up but we are 1 more injury away from having a CFL lineup back there. 

I think we need to steer clear of trading any assets for players by the trade deadline. However, we know we are on the hunt for a WR1... so let's say that does happen.. then with that... I wouldn't be against the following:

• Bring La'El Collins in for a workout and see what he has.
  • Activate Corbett from PUP

The only we acquire a LB is if it's a pick swap or late conditional. Anything else, we can wait. 

• Pie 1