• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gerald Wallace

NFL Executive

100128_wallace_inside.jpg

Wallace named as All-Star reserve

First of all I just want to express how thankful I am to be selected. This is a great accomplishment for me and the entire Bobcats organization. This was one of my personal goals and I never could have got here without the help of my teammates and (Head) Coach (Larry) Brown mentoring me and strengthening my abilities. I’m just thankful for this opportunity.

I pretty much found out right before the plane took off (for Golden State). My plans are basically just to have fun and enjoy it as much as I can. This is my first opportunity as a participant in the game, and I just want to go out and enjoy my time there.

The coaches called me and my agent called me. (Earlier than today) I kind of figured when I talked to my agent that I was going to make it, but he wasn’t sure. It was one of those times where I didn’t really want to know anything before the announcement because I didn’t want to get my hopes up only to be crushed. When I found out, I actually felt kind of relieved, but I felt great too. Like I said, this was one of my personal goals, but at the same time, I’d rather make the playoffs. I’m hoping this is just the start, because what I really want is to finish this season in the playoffs.

Before I was picked for the slam dunk competition, I told my agent that I wanted to do whatever it took to be a part of this All-Star weekend. I think it is going to be a historical one, being that it’s in Dallas and the expected crowd is supposed to be huge. I wanted to be in it, and I told him that if I couldn’t make the game, then to sign me up for the slam dunk contest. My family and my friends all said, “Don’t you think you’re a little too old for that?” But I just wanted to go out have fun and be a part of it in some way, and now I’m going to.

The slam dunk contest is second in my mind right now. I’m so nervous about the All-Star Game that I can’t even think about the dunk competition right now. I think by the time I get there, it’s not going to be about winning. It’s just going to be about making my dunks and not embarrassing myself.

My teammates were great. They were excited, and all of these guys know what this game is about and really wanted me to get on there. I think everyone is excited, and I do know that some guys have been joking with me about getting their cut – but everyone’s been great. I think half of my family is already booked to go down there. They were excited about me being in the slam dunk contest and hopeful about me getting into the All-Star Game, so it’s going to be important for me to share this with my immediate family, and especially my brother – because this is really exciting for him. I’m not sure if my mom is going to be able to make it, but I’m going to take my kids and let them enjoy it as much as I am.

The fans here were great, too. The entire city of Charlotte really seemed to be getting behind me, and I thank them for that and everything they’ve done for me and help me accomplish that goal of mine.

I also heard that Charles (Barkley), Kenny (Smith) and the guys at TNT were excited for me and thought it was really deserved and that means a lot that guys like that appreciate what I do to go out every night and try to help my team win. It’s also means a lot that the coaches were the ones to vote me in. I think they see a lot more than what some of the fans might see behind the scenes. They see guys playing who are beat up or injured, but going out and fighting every night while trying to help their team win. It’s not always about scoring, but about doing all of the things that can make you a great player, and I think the coaches recognize that coming from the position that they’re in.

I think this selection does it a lot, not only for the team, but for the organization as a whole and the city as well. Hopefully now they’ll put us on TV a little bit more, who knows? But to acknowledge that we’re one of the contending teams and give me the opportunity to represent this organization and this city in the All-Star game is great. I’m not sure if Dwyane Wade is going to take No. 3 or not, but I don’t care – they can give me any number they want.

Classy guy.

I love this guy. For the longest time, he was the only thing good about this team. I won't forget those years. I hope he retires a Bobcat, and I'm glad he was able to get his chance to shine in the NBA, if not for the Bobcats he may be on the bench somewhere still.

some dude on ABC just said if he had any problem with the East all star reserves, it'd be Gerald Wallace. He was probably one of those ones who thought AI should start

LOL.

The fact that Wallace is having one of the better NBA Seasons compared to any other player tells you he's terribly biased.

Oh, they're ESPN commentators afterall

42.3 mpg

19.3 ppg

11.0 rpg

1.6 spg

1.2 bpg

.486 FG %

.371 TP%

He's easily an all-star by stats alone. Throw in the fact that he's doing this on a likely playoff team and hasnt missed a game and it's just blatantly obvious. The guy on ABC clearly doesn't now who Gerald Wallace is and pulled that comment out of his ass.

Archived