• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football Week 6 Games

Varking

Basketball doesn't generate the revenue that football brings. If and when Clemson and FSU decide to go elsewhere, 2 national brand football programs will be gone. That will have some sort of effect on the TV deal when it comes up, and then it will be a ripple effect of the other programs of note jumping ship as well. Eventually it could be like the reformed Big East, which isn't a bad thing basketball-wise, but that's the end of it.

Edited by UnluckyforSome
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, beo said:

Also calling Duke's basketball program merely "above average" when we both have the same number of non stone-age rings is pretty hilarious but in the interest of not derailing the thread I'll let it slide.

Duke and UNC are the top schools in basketball.  No doubt.  Coach k is a legend as is UNC has Dean Smith and Roy who are unquestionably great.  Duke players in the NBA is really not debatable though…UNC has developed players much better 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Basketball doesn't generate the revenue that football brings. If and when Clemson and FSU decide to go elsewhere, 2 national brand football programs will be gone. That will have some sort of effect on the TV deal when it comes up, and then it will be a ripple effect of the other programs of note jumping ship as well. Eventually it could be like the reformed Big Eat, which isn't a bad thing basketball-wise, but that's the end of it.

This is certainly possible, but I think it's worth considering that the TV deal isn't up until 2036 which is quite a ways out. I just don't really see many of the other ACC teams jumping ship. State maybe to whatever conference UNC doesn't go to so that they can have a stake in the NC football market? Other than that, I see little incentive for any other members. It's true the ACC will be much worse off without FSU and Clemson, but the big 12 lost Texas and OU and seems to be doing fine. I just think there's a bit of fearmongering due to recent events, this isn't really the same situation as the PAC which dug its own grave playing hard ball in negotiations when it had no leverage to do so and had far less longterm security in its tv contract.

Edited by beo

8 minutes ago, beo said:

See above post. UNC leaving is probably the least important departure of the three. Basketball doesn't mean anything in realignment, Football money completely dominates. 

Why would the ACC fold? It's not in the interest of any members besides 3 for it to. 

You are right that all this realignment garbage is 99% about football. It’s undeniable that this is what it’s about. 

Which is weird that you said the acc wouldn’t fold if The top two fb brands left and then your media market would take a huge hit with UNC and UVA probably tagging along. 

I like the acc and hope it survives but come on dude. If those four teams can somehow weasel out of the GOR and are replaced by like UCF and Cincinnati, the conference is toast. 

4 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Basketball doesn't generate the revenue that football brings. If and when Clemson and FSU decide to go elsewhere, 2 national brand football programs will be gone. That will have some sort of effect on the TV deal when it comes up, and then it will be a ripple effect of the other programs of note jumping ship as well. Eventually it could be like the reformed Big East, which isn't a bad thing basketball-wise, but that's the end of it.

Meh…disagree but I do agree everything loses to money to make rich people richer.  I hate that

4 minutes ago, beo said:

This is certainly possible, but I think it's worth considering that the TV deal isn't up until 2036 which is quite a ways out. I just don't really see many of the other ACC teams jumping ship. State maybe to whatever conference UNC doesn't go to so that they can have a stake in the NC football market? Other than that, I see little incentive for any other members. It's true the ACC will be much worse off without FSU and Clemson, but the big 12 lost Texas and OU and seems to be doing fine. I just think there's a bit of fearmongering due to recent events, this isn't really the same situation as the PAC which dug its own grave playing hard ball in negotiations when it had no leverage to do so and had far less longterm security in its tv contract.

Texas and OU haven’t even left the B12 yet. Sure the conference “seems to be doing fine” now but what about in three years? You are being short sighted and obtuse. 

Edited by 4Corners

5 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

It is. Maybe go to Chapel Hill and talk to people? Those subscriptions on 247 don’t count. 

Yeah, rode to the game with a booster who has six seats on the third row in the Dean Dome and six seats on the box in Kenan. They ain't planning on choosing.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, beo said:

The Big 10 and SEC payouts are 49 and 50 million respectively. The ACC is 39 million. There might be some spare change numbers on those but those are the amounts. Rivalries are awesome. No argument there. It all gets down to the dollars though, and 10 million is enough to get eyes and hearts wandering.

If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC, the conference will take a massive hit. That’s the two top brands. If those four schools leave it will be a death blow to conference. Yall denying this are just homers. Sure it might be able to stick around like the big East but come on. 

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

The filthy rich are getting richer as the rest of us work our asses into the ground.   I am about to stop giving a fug

All this talk about a couple of super conferences and everyone else being also rans really isn't much different than the way things have been. All the P5 conferences have their hang arounds who are just there to fill out schedules and due to legacy rivals, etc. They never contend.

3 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC, the conference will take a massive hit. That’s the two top brands. If those four schools leave it will be a death blow to conference. Yall denying this are just homers. Sure it might be able to stick around like the big East but come on. 

UNC will have their choice of conference though as will NCST. Wake and Duke….lol

• Poo 1