• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Entitlement.....

Johnny Rockets

Apparently I have been asleep for hte last decade or so...

Since when has it been mandatory that kids who are turning into young adults be provided with not only a car but also a free car insurance courtesy of their parents? Even if a kid has a summer job is it that unheard of to have them pay for their own insurance and God forbid gas?

Personally I have no problem with handing down a car to my kid, but I am not going to pay for your insurance and/or gas even if it is not going to be a huge financial burden on me. Asking around to neighbors and other parents, it seems I am the only one left that actually has the nerve to think it is a great time for a kid to start experiencing a little bit of what the real world is all about.

Apparently I have been asleep for hte last decade or so...

Since when has it been mandatory that kids who are turning into young adults be provided with not only a car but also a free car insurance courtesy of their parents? Even if a kid has a summer job is it that unheard of to have them pay for their own insurance and God forbid gas?

Personally I have no problem with handing down a car to my kid, but I am not going to pay for your insurance and/or gas even if it is not going to be a huge financial burden on me. Asking around to neighbors and other parents, it seems I am the only one left that actually has the nerve to think it is a great time for a kid to start experiencing a little bit of what the real world is all about.

Back in the day gas was like a $1 so it didn't matter either way.

At Davidson one girl had a Hummer as a Freshman.

My dad gave me his used 1989 4 wheel drive Toyota with no stereo for graduation. I was happy as a clam.

My 19 - almost 20 - year old son still doesn't have a car. He actually has the cash to buy one on his own and I wanted him to buy a car last year. But he didn't because he didn't have the job for gas, insurance, and maintenance. He decided that on his own...but he was also raised to make those kinds of decisions, so no, you're not the only one who feels like that.

Guess who just got taken off my insurance policy a day after I added him on? Someone is not getting their license this week. Shame cause he has enough money in his bank to pay for 3 years worth of insurance.

It is a shame, he is a great kid (my best friend), does great in school, and we never have arguments until last night and I lost it. I am honestly disgusted by the whole thing and more disgusted to find out that his claims of his friends getting cars paid for and insurance, gas paid for are all true.

Dad just threw down $7,000 for 4 wisdom teeth getting cut out and some braces to give you a great smile later on in life. Insurance and gas.....not a chance. Bad thing is that I even said I would pay for the insurance until summer came and he started working, but the rest of the year was on him.

Archived