• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Basketball 2023

beo

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All it takes is having an off night against a hot shooting team and that's all she wrote.

Which is what makes it a fun watch and other than the big rivalry games, the only thing most people care about when it comes to college basketball.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Which is what makes it a fun watch and other than the big rivalry games, the only thing most people care about when it comes to college basketball.

Yeah, the difference in overall interest in college basketball now vs. in the '80s and '90s. is very palpable and it's honestly been trending this direction for 20 years.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, the difference in overall interest in college basketball now vs. in the '80s and '90s. is very palpable and it's honestly been trending this direction for 20 years.

A large part of the lack of interest in college ball is the lack of star players. Until the NBA changed their rules, guys stayed in college for 3 or 4 years. When the NBA allowed high school grads into the league, the big name players skipped college. Then the NBA realized that those kids couldn't compete with grown men for the most part, so they changed the rules to 1 and done in college. So, guys are doing that instead of staying in college unless they've been told they won't be drafted. The NBA really screwed college basketball.

13 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

A large part of the lack of interest in college ball is the lack of star players. Until the NBA changed their rules, guys stayed in college for 3 or 4 years. When the NBA allowed high school grads into the league, the big name players skipped college. Then the NBA realized that those kids couldn't compete with grown men for the most part, so they changed the rules to 1 and done in college. So, guys are doing that instead of staying in college unless they've been told they won't be drafted. The NBA really screwed college basketball.

Agreed. The one and done rule sucks. It would be better off for college basketball if they were allowed to go straight to the NBA. I really think it was that Kwame Brown/Eddy Curry/Tyson Chandler draft that made the NBA realize they needed to save themselves from themselves. It was only a couple of years after that when they instituted one and done.

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed. The one and done rule sucks. It would be better off for college basketball if they were allowed to go straight to the NBA. I really think it was that Kwame Brown/Eddy Curry/Tyson Chandler draft that made the NBA realize they needed to save themselves from themselves. It was only a couple of years after that when they instituted one and done.

The sad thing is that the one and done rule doesn't really help the NBA or the college game. The majority of the one and done guys end up riding the bench their first year or two in the NBA or playing in spurts in the G League. Staying in college for 3-4 years would serve both the schools, the NBA, and the players much more. But that's not going to happen.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

The sad thing is that the one and done rule doesn't really help the NBA or the college game. The majority of the one and done guys end up riding the bench their first year or two in the NBA or playing in spurts in the G League. Staying in college for 3-4 years would serve both the schools, the NBA, and the players much more. But that's not going to happen.

I dunno, I saw this week where Silver stated publicly that they’re reconsidering the entire idea of the G League now because of NIL.  

If they could come to some sort of solution where the NBA and NIL could keep kids in college for 2 or 3+ years and they still get paid (at least what the G League was paying)...  Seems like a win-win might be possible.

If you’re 19-20 and projected borderline or late 1st round, everyone’s going to want you back in college for another year.  And the NBA teams will start shying away from those “developmental” 20 year olds in favor of an Armando Bacot, for example.

JMO

37 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

I dunno, I saw this week where Silver stated publicly that they’re reconsidering the entire idea of the G League now because of NIL.  

If they could come to some sort of solution where the NBA and NIL could keep kids in college for 2 or 3+ years and they still get paid (at least what the G League was paying)...  Seems like a win-win might be possible.

If you’re 19-20 and projected borderline or late 1st round, everyone’s going to want you back in college for another year.  And the NBA teams will start shying away from those “developmental” 20 year olds in favor of an Armando Bacot, for example.

JMO

I haven't seen that about the G League and nil. The G League has also been mostly a flop, so I can see why the NBA is looking into a way to keep guys in college. It'll reduce their costs.

I dunno about Bacot or similar guys. Bacot isn't what the NBA is looking for in a modern center and he isn't physically dominating enough to get away with an old school game in today's NBA. I think he's the kind of guy that ends up playing overseas if he plays beyond college. He wouldn't have stayed at UNC all these years if his NBA prospects were better.

4 hours ago, SOJA said:

UNC is too inconsistent to win the title this year. They will have a clunker in the tourney against someone. 

Before you come berate me this is coming from a UNC fan 

UNC fan here as well and I agree. They cannot string enough games together to get there. 

• Pie 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:55 PM, SOJA said:

UNC is too inconsistent to win the title this year. They will have a clunker in the tourney against someone. 

Before you come berate me this is coming from a UNC fan 

A lot of it comes down to who gets hot at the right time. A team that might not be playing great right now might win it all and a team that looks like a sure-fire contender probably will get bounced in the 2nd round. Just the way the tourney goes. Not even the biggest of homers would've predicted UNC's last championship game run. Now THAT team was inconsistent.

• Pie 1

On 2/18/2024 at 2:16 PM, jayboogieman said:

I haven't seen that about the G League and nil. The G League has also been mostly a flop, so I can see why the NBA is looking into a way to keep guys in college. It'll reduce their costs.

I dunno about Bacot or similar guys. Bacot isn't what the NBA is looking for in a modern center and he isn't physically dominating enough to get away with an old school game in today's NBA. I think he's the kind of guy that ends up playing overseas if he plays beyond college. He wouldn't have stayed at UNC all these years if his NBA prospects were better.

Actually Bacot is the poster-child for my original point and this discussion about players entering the draft at 19/20 and busting in the NBA.

Bacot and NIL

Bacot probably could’ve been drafted at 20/21 years old and would be out of the league by now.  But NIL kept him in school for two extra years.  

He’ll never get an NBA contract and that’s fine - it’s better for the league, it’s better for the schools, and it’s better for the player (he’s worth $5mil and has multiple businesses). This is the upside of NIL.

• Pie 1