• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just a thought

Craig Cartner

1 hour ago, travisura said:

I don't understand the inclination to trade Dalton. He's a good, experienced backup that is mentoring Bryce through his first NFL season. Y'all would give that up for a 5th? And who would our backup be?

It doesn’t matter. If Bryce gets hurt the season is over. This whole season is about him. Our backup QB should be traded if we can get something for him.

1 minute ago, Varking said:

It doesn’t matter. If Bryce gets hurt the season is over. This whole season is about him. Our backup QB should be traded if we can get something for him.

You're disregarding the most important aspect of Dalton's value to the team, which is his mentorship of Bryce.

26 minutes ago, Varking said:

I don’t think he needs Dalton to be mentored. He has former QBs on the coaching staff. At least two of them. 

TOTALLY different things to hear things from a teammate than it is a coach, have always seen coaches/players talk about how different it is.

A coach needs to be hard on the player at times, the teammate is the one to then put their arm around them, pull them to the side, and re-lift their spirits, it's an entirely different dynamic.

Coaches also don't spend a lot of time in the locker room, they have their own lockers/area and let the players have their own.  That's where Dalton is most beneficial to Bryce, just being there for him and for Bryce to watch how a vet QB goes about his business on a day to day basis.

It might seem dumb, especially for the #1 pick in the draft, but it's the little things like that, that can help rookies grow and learn faster than if they're trying to figure it out on their own or from an inexperienced backup/teammate.

I'd guarantee if they traded Dalton (which in itself still seems very unlikely), they'd end up then signing someone like Colt McCoy to come in and replace Dalton's role of mentor, you don't leave that job to a Jake Luton type.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

TOTALLY different things to hear things from a teammate than it is a coach, have always seen coaches/players talk about how different it is.

A coach needs to be hard on the player at times, the teammate is the one to then put their arm around them, pull them to the side, and re-lift their spirits, it's an entirely different dynamic.

Coaches also don't spend a lot of time in the locker room, they have their own lockers/area and let the players have their own.  That's where Dalton is most beneficial to Bryce, just being there for him and for Bryce to watch how a vet QB goes about his business on a day to day basis.

It might seem dumb, especially for the #1 pick in the draft, but it's the little things like that, that can help rookies grow and learn faster than if they're trying to figure it out on their own or from an inexperienced backup/teammate.

I'd guarantee if they traded Dalton (which in itself still seems very unlikely), they'd end up then signing someone like Colt McCoy to come in and replace Dalton's role of mentor, you don't leave that job to a Jake Luton type.

Any vet QB can do that. It doesn’t need to be Andy. And I think most folks here played football into college and are well aware of locker room dynamics. If anyone in the league is willing to offer a pick for Andy Dalton, you take it. 

19 minutes ago, Varking said:

Any vet QB can do that. It doesn’t need to be Andy. And I think most folks here played football into college and are well aware of locker room dynamics. If anyone in the league is willing to offer a pick for Andy Dalton, you take it. 

Most people here played college football?!?!?!  I'll bet less than 1% of the people on this site played any college sport, let alone football.

And if you mean playing HS football, the locker room dynamic from that compared to what an NFL QB does to mentor a rookie, isn't even in the same galaxy of comparison.

Also, no, not any vet QB can properly teach a rookie QB all the dynamics that go into their job, at least not to the level you'd like to support your #1 draft pick at.  You need someone who has been in the league for 10+ years as an occasional starter (like a Colt McCoy) or an actual longtime starter like Dalton.

A 5th round pick isn't worth more than the mentorship that Dalton provides Bryce, which is why I'd do it if we also could swap TMJ for KJ Osborn, but not just Dalton for a pick.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Craig Cartner said:

Given the situation of the Vikings (QB out for the year) can we and should we try and get something for the REDROCKET?

It seems more likely that the Vikings are going to be selling rather than buying at the deadline (given their record and no healthy Cousins or Jefferson). I would much rather poach their OG/OT Ezra Cleveland. He's 25 on an expiring deal, and has been a quality lineman. Most analysts say it would take around a 4th to get him.

• Pie 1