• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for the Burns pocket watchers...

CamWhoaaCam

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Cmon guy I know he wants big money. My point is pay him just don't give him away for a useless pick which is what it will be when Fitt makes that pick.

Im okay giving Burns 30 mi. At least we know what he brings and at worst he's still the best or 2nd best player on the defense.

What is wrong with paying Burns 30 mil a year?

I want us to end it and pay him. If we will not trade him, we should have had him locked up last year.

I still think turning down the Rams 2024/2025 firsts and pick 36 was a huge mistake regardless of how big a Burns fan you are but it’s done. 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, Johnstonny said:

sounds like a fitt move

Damn. That may have been the worst put down I've ever seen on this site. Mean. Just mean.  It's a calculated move to free up money and focus on FA because our next draft is going to be close to a non-factor. My other "fitt move" would be just take BPA in the second and NOT trade down to acquire more picks or trade away any players to acquire more picks. 

• Pie 1

It’s probably just the age we live in, and not winning…but I don’t recall a player as good as Burns being this poo on before by the fanbase. 

The pass rushing ability between him and the next edge on our roster is drastic, he’s a good dude, he gets better every year, causes no problems. He has elite edge size and length, and is still young and about to enter his prime. 

I’d love if he was also had DT like run stuffing ability, but it’s a hell of a lot easier finding run stuffers than pass rushers. Sure he misses some tackles, but that tackle he missed is often behind the line of scrimmage, and his penetration allows others tike to clean it up. 

He isn’t perfect. But damn he’s talented as fug and on an upward trajectory. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Burns being our best player actually probably hurts us right now more than it helps us.

Teams are able to formulate their entire offensive gameplan around Burns and taking him out of the game because they aren't afraid of the rest of our defense in the slightest.

No matter how elite a pass rusher is, unless you have other quality pass rushers to make the blocking scheme account for them and/or quality DB's to make the QB hold onto the ball longer, they are going to be minimized when they send double and triple teams at that pass rusher on every pass play.

In a vacuum I'd love to keep Burns long term, but when you factor in the contract situation and the state of the rest of the team, keeping him isn't the smart play for the long term success of the franchise, no other way around it at this point unfortunately. 

A part of me wants us to trade Burns.

Can't wait for those "No pass rush" topics!

You don't know what you have until it's gone aka CMC/Moore/Burns???

#TheTepperWay

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s probably just the age we live in, and not winning…but I don’t recall a player as good as Burns being this poo on before by the fanbase. 

The pass rushing ability between him and the next edge on our roster is drastic, he’s a good dude, he gets better every year, causes no problems. He has elite edge size and length, and is still young and about to enter his prime. 

I’d love if he was also had DT like run stuffing ability, but it’s a hell of a lot easier finding run stuffers than pass rushers. Sure he misses some tackles, but that tackle he missed is often behind the line of scrimmage, and his penetration allows others tike to clean it up. 

He isn’t perfect. But damn he’s talented as fug and on an upward trajectory. 

Still think this is missing the plot

Sure, some people are just always unhappy and complain to complain, but most people unhappy with Burns aren't unhappy with the player, but the situation.

I screamed all off-season to just pay him what he wanted and get it done, and I'd still more than welcome a long term deal at a fair number (somewhere in the 27-30 a year range).

But it just seems pretty clear that isn't happening, and thus, I want him traded to get us past this situation, not to get us past Burns, there is a big and significant difference between those two things.

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

A part of me wants us to trade Burns.

Can't wait for those "No pass rush" topics!

You don't know what you have until it's gone aka CMC/Moore/Burns???

#TheTepperWay

Aren't you sick of the "we have no WR" topics?

Right now, at this moment, it's one or the other, we can put our money into Burns or we can put that into a WR.

Trading for Burns gives us the ammo to either draft a WR in the first or trade a first for a WR who wants a new contract (or hell, maybe both, if we get the 2 first rounders that come with the tag, we could take a WR with one and trade the other for a second if we really wanted to).

The people who want to trade Burns completely understand the negative affect of that, but we also know that the #1 priority for this franchise right now is developing Bryce, not building an elite pass rush.

12 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

What's wrong with it?

You mean, other than the fact that Burns wants more money than that?

Nothing at all

But seeing as he wants more than that, and yes, it's pretty clear he does, as if he'd have taken 30, a deal would have been done before week 1, then yea, there is a big problem in paying him that since he won't sign that contract.

Again, you keep arguing about just paying him the money... if you can't see that he clearly doesn't want to be here long term at this point, at least unless he's paid as a Top 3 pass rusher, then I don't know what else to tell you.

He's not worth Top 3 money, not when this team has as many holes as it has, you pay top 3 pass rusher money when you're a SB contending team.

And saying we're just going to screw up the draft picks is just a lazy and pathetic reason to want to overpay him, by that thinking, we might as well just fold the franchise and have 31 teams in the league.  Sure, we might screw it up, but not making the smart move because you're afraid we won't then make the subsequent correct moves is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

By your logic, I'd then argue that overpaying him will be an even worse decision as then we have $30+ million tied up in one player and then we're not going to be able to make smart mid round draft picks to fill out the roster on cap friendly contracts, like we'd need to do if we give him that contract.

Again.... LOOK AT THE WHOLE PICTURE INSTEAD OF JUST ONE THING, it's your biggest flaw in critiquing this team and it's decisions, you do not understand how the NFL operates, it's so painfully clear.

Guy you're suggesting the worst team in the NFL trade their best defensive player for a 1st round pick in which Scott Fitterer will make the selection.

Don't you dare tell me I don't understand how the NFL operates. It's you who can't understand we have a bad owner and gm and that pick will be useless.

Carry on im tired of debating with you. We can agree to disagree per usual. I'll be the bigger man and take the insults. 

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Cmon guy I know he wants big money. My point is pay him just don't give him away for a useless pick which is what it will be when Fitt makes that pick.

Im okay giving Burns 30 mi. At least we know what he brings and at worst he's still the best or 2nd best player on the defense.

What is wrong with paying Burns 30 mil a year?

I would imagine at this point the issue has nothing to do with the yearly salary, but the guaranteed money. My guess is we’re there on a figure, but not on a guaranteed amount. Which if true, it’s smart on us. Can never guess who could get hurt or check out after getting paid. 

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What are you watching now?

A team full of bad players and only a few of good players. 2 players can't make a team. But if you continue to add talent around those few players then you can build something. Trading our last few good players is what you have now a team full of bad players. Burns is the last one standing.

Remember that. So much for loyalty. Burns never caused trouble here. Been a great leader even played injured. But no fug him he wants too much money.

Watching hockey now because it's more entertaining. I will watch the game on recording, watch a play, then fast forward. I'm not sitting through 3 hours of Panthers football right now. 

It's not about loyalty or causing trouble. I've never said Burns did any of those things. I'm not for trading him now because I don't think we're going to get remotely close to the offer we did for the Rams. I'm all for signing him to a reasonable deal. But right now, I don't think he brings elite edge position for the elite edge price. Again, as long as we can assemble a quality team, I don't care. You have to take emotion out of this. This is a business decision. Make the best business decision for the team. 

This is yet again another classic case of you playing Madden GM and not real life NFL GM

You want all the players and positions filled with elite talent at once, something that can easily be done in Madden by gaming the system.  

But it just doesn't work that way in real life NFL when you're trying to re-build a depleted roster.  It gets done in stages over the course of a number of years.  

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Guy you're suggesting the worst team in the NFL trade their best defensive player for a 1st round pick in which Scott Fitterer will make the selection.

Don't you dare tell me I don't understand how the NFL operates. It's you who can't understand we have a bad owner and gm and that pick will be useless.

Carry on im tired of debating with you. We can agree to disagree per usual. I'll be the bigger man and take the insults. 

I don't want Scott Fitterer making another pick for the Panthers ever again. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I want us to end it and pay him. If we will not trade him, we should have had him locked up last year.

I still think turning down the Rams 2024/2025 firsts and pick 36 was a huge mistake regardless of how big a Burns fan you are but it’s done. 

Agreed well said.

Trading him for pennies on the dollar doesn't make sense. I rather we just pay him. At least we know he want be a bust.

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Sweet jesus you still can't see the forest through the trees.

If you spend the money on Burns that you want to, that means we then need to hit on our mid round picks to fill out starting positions on cheap contracts.

You're literally saying you don't trust the GM with a 1st round pick and cap space to make the right picks/signings but want to trust him doing it without cap space and with mid round picks instead.

And don't ever tell me that you understand how the NFL operates and I don't, that's the biggest joke of a statement you've ever made LOLOLOLOL