• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panther OL Michael Wahle on Ikey

Tbe

That first clip in the first link I remember from watching the game. Ekwonu went way too far back, had to extend too far to try and get any kind of punch and the rusher just went around him.

In the second one, you can't see from the angle in the clip posted but as I recall he went down because Throckmorton either stepped on him or tripped him.

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

You can't just plug the most athletic person in at a position and expect them to succeed. Technique trumps athleticism 90% of the time at this level. The bigger question than draft picks is how has our amazing oline coach not addressed these things? 

Is technique a problem with anybody other than Ekwonu though?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is technique a problem with anybody other than Ekwonu though?

I'm sure there's issues, but Ickey looks like he is relying on his athleticism far more than others it appears. He has the vertical movement, but his lateral has been rough at best. Being able to keep your feet positioned is key to playing on the edge.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm sure there's issues, but Ickey looks like he is relying on his athleticism far more than others it appears. He has the vertical movement, but his lateral has been rough at best. Being able to keep your feet positioned is key to playing on the edge.

Understood. What I was getting at though is that if it were on coaching, I think there'd be similar problems across the board.

What I've said before about this season, and still believe, is that Ickey is out of his element in our current blocking scheme. Last year's heavy run emphasis was more his game if you want him to play the left tackle spot. Left tackle in a WCO is typically manned more by a smaller, more agile type.

If we kept the emphasis we had last year, I'd have said keep him on the outside. In an offense of primarily WCO concepts though, he makes much more sense at guard.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I heard him on WFNZ this morning. When asked if Campen can fix him he says there is only so much you can do in team practice. He said this requires a lot of individual technique coaching in the offseason which Ickey doesn’t seem to be investing his time in outside of the club. , and the club can do very little due to the CBA restrictions on offseason programs 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

I heard him on WFNZ this morning. When asked if Campen can fix him he says there is only so much you can do in team practice. He said this requires a lot of individual technique coaching in the offseason which Ickey doesn’t seem to be investing his time in outside of the club. , and the club can do very little due to the CBA restrictions on offseason programs 

That's not something you want to hear.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

We'll see what he looks like next year. He might have let the praise go to his head.

If he isn't improved next year we need a new LT. And that would SUCK.

Honestly, it could just be one of those transitional things.

Going from a college player that's used to having summers off to a professional who's basically working year round isn't an easy thing for some people. Failure to do so is a big reason why some guys bust out of the NFL.

Perhaps in the second pro offseason, he'll take a better approach.

• Pie 1