• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For being an elite processor…

Knaakedup

11 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

He is also playing like a guy who is constantly hit by huge dudes...give the man an O-line and watch how the super processor works without "OMG" occurring every play.  Panic is real

it's the NFL.  We all want ideal OLs.  Special players still look special behind bad OLs though. 

• Pie 4

I'll never doubt my football acumen again.

Pre draft I stated after warching film of all 3 Qb's CJ looked to be the better prospect. And then I took a hiatus from the board and came back just a few days before the draft and it was all Bryce, Bryce, he was the guaranteed lock to the the Panthers Qb all you heard was the inside sources, super processor blah, blah, blah.

And I started doubting what I saw on film, and assuring myself because hey they are the "experts" maybe they're getting it right.

They absolutely didn't get it right, and what I saw on film was the truth. 

Man I was hoping to be wrong, but nope at all. 

• Pie 4

6 hours ago, CRA said:

it's the NFL.  We all want ideal OLs.  Special players still look special behind bad OLs though. 

I would love to know who you are referring to....I can give you an example for my side....Aaron Rodgers last year....2-3X more interceptions as his normal year, lowest yardage in his career for a 16 start year, comp % same as Bryce.....and what was the issue?  Bad Oline, young-mediocre receivers....much better receivers than we have.  Bryce has played 6 games in the NFL in the absolute worst situation possible for a rookie....he isn't overcoming it yet, but acting like elite QB's can have reasonable success with the worst line and receivers in the league is ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

I would love to know who you are referring to....I can give you an example for my side....Aaron Rodgers last year....2-3X more interceptions as his normal year, lowest yardage in his career for a 16 start year, comp % same as Bryce.....and what was the issue?  Bad Oline, young-mediocre receivers....much better receivers than we have.  Bryce has played 6 games in the NFL in the absolute worst situation possible for a rookie....he isn't overcoming it yet, but acting like elite QB's can have reasonable success with the worst line and receivers in the league is ridiculous.

that's not what I said though.  Maybe it can read that way. 

I said, special players still show you they are special behind bad OLs.  But you aren't going to be a good team and win games with bad OL play.   And you aren't going to see consistency.   It was meant to allude to play here or play there. 

Bryce Young (the #1 overall QB) has essentially not provided any glimpses this year showing he is special.  That's all.    Generally, a legit special player still can find away to show you something in the mess.   

Aaron Rodgers still was able to show he was special in moments year.  Patrick Mahomes has played behind people pulled from the stands.  They aren't going to be good versions of themselves and the team won't shine most likely.  But you take any great QB and stick him in horrible spot.....and they will give you some moments. 

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, CRA said:

I said, special players still show you they are special behind bad OLs.  But you aren't going to be a good team and win games with bad OL play.   And you aren't going to see consistency.   It was meant to allude to play here or play there. 

Bryce Young (the #1 overall QB) has essentially not provided any glimpses this year showing he is special.  That's all.    Generally, a legit special player still can find away to show you something in the mess.   

Aaron Rodgers still was able to show he was special in moments year.  Patrick Mahomes has played behind people pulled from the stands.  They aren't going to be good versions of themselves and the team won't shine most likely.  But you take any great QB and stick him in horrible spot.....and they will give you some moments. 

Mahomes also had Travis Kelcey....you know HOF TE, one of the best all time in his prime?  Plus at least 2 WR's at any given time better than any we have.  Plus his O-lines as bad as they were never were as bad as this one.  With Rodgers - again he had Romeo Doubs, Allan Lazard, and Cristian Watson.....who on our team is better than any of those 3?  It isn't all the QB....Houston we had 4 drops of Bryce completes 80% for more than 300yds...glimpse of special?

TLaw is another example - his year 1 was statistically worse than Bryce so far and he had better receivers and O-line even though they sucked.  You get him Evan Engram, Christian Kirk, Travis Etienne, and improved O-line a amazingly they make the playoffs.

Plus it is not true to say Bryce hasn't shown anything special - he has made multiple great throws to covered receivers in tight windows.  The TD throw to Tremble against Houston, multiple scramble away throws to Theilen.  If you watch anyone knowledgeable break down his games they show you great accuracy and anticipation and some special plays.   

14 hours ago, CRA said:

Last thought - you are also saying, if I can paraphrase here "he isn't showing us he is special like 2 of the best QB's of all times - HOF'ers".  Those guys didn't show you anything their rookie year either.

18 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I'll never doubt my football acumen again.

Pre draft I stated after warching film of all 3 Qb's CJ looked to be the better prospect. And then I took a hiatus from the board and came back just a few days before the draft and it was all Bryce, Bryce, he was the guaranteed lock to the the Panthers Qb all you heard was the inside sources, super processor blah, blah, blah.

And I started doubting what I saw on film, and assuring myself because hey they are the "experts" maybe they're getting it right.

They absolutely didn't get it right, and what I saw on film was the truth. 

Man I was hoping to be wrong, but nope at all. 

I think this is where a lot of us are at. 

We wanted Stroud, settled for BY because that's who they wanted to pick and tried to talk ourselves into him. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

There is nothing elite about Young. He is just another college kid that peaked before he was drafted and will jump around the league as a backup until he retires at best.

None of the hype was real. His school film was vastly misrepresented, proready to needs to work on his footwork or sit and learn. All the preseason fluff they have spent weeks trying to roll back. His physical abilities should have been under a microscope but it was all just pushed under the rug of 'special'. He singlehandedly proved the S2 is as bad or worse than the test before.

They could bring in a 3rd round QB next year and push him for his job. Any decent backup like Andy is just flat out a better option if your trying to win and not justify that rediculously stupid trade and pick.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Stingray3030 said:

Last thought - you are also saying, if I can paraphrase here "he isn't showing us he is special like 2 of the best QB's of all times - HOF'ers".  Those guys didn't show you anything their rookie year either.

not saying that either.  and you brought up Rodgers.   

Justin Fields has shown that he has elite and special qualities while in a horrible spot in Chicago.  That doesn't mean he is going to be great and work out but teams/fans etc are looking for the justification and those moments to attach hope to.  Think he set a rushing record the other year behind the worst OL in the NFL with no skill talent around him.  That's an elite quality/special aspect shinning through. 

Richardson has did it in just a view games. 

Stroud has done it. 

Trevor even did it during the Urban Meyer shitshow.  

Those are recent guys. 

For the Carolina example, Cam Newton did it as a rookie. Weekly.  They won what, 6 games his rookie year?   They could of won 3 and felt like the pick was good.   

Special players even in horrific spots SHOULD give you a glimpse from time to time.  And that doesn't even mean they will pan out and be great players.  But it gives people hope that in time you will see more and more and more of "it" and the move was correct. 

What "it" has Bryce Young shown? That would have someonesay yeah, that's worth the insane haul and we got that #1 overall pick right.  And I'm not writing him off yet.  I always said before the season started we were going to be REALLY bad.  Flaws of what we put together were always glaring for me.  But I said then and now I think you judge Bryce Young down the stretch.  Not the opening.  But he has to show something. 

• Pie 2

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

not saying that either.  and you brought up Rodgers.   

Justin Fields has shown that he has elite and special qualities while in a horrible spot in Chicago.  That doesn't mean he is going to be great and work out but teams/fans etc are looking for the justification and those moments to attach hope to.  Think he set a rushing record the other year behind the worst OL in the NFL with no skill talent around him.  That's an elite quality/special aspect shinning through. 

Richardson has did it in just a view games. 

Stroud has done it. 

Trevor even did it during the Urban Meyer shitshow.  

Those are recent guys. 

For the Carolina example, Cam Newton did it as a rookie. Weekly.  They won what, 6 games his rookie year?   They could of won 3 and felt like the pick was good.   

Special players even in horrific spots SHOULD give you a glimpse from time to time.  And that doesn't even mean they will pan out and be great players.  But it gives people hope that in time you will see more and more and more of "it" and the move was correct. 

What "it" has Bryce Young shown? That would have someonesay yeah, that's worth the insane haul and we got that #1 overall pick right.  And I'm not writing him off yet.  I always said before the season started we were going to be REALLY bad.  Flaws of what we put together were always glaring for me.  But I said then and now I think you judge Bryce Young down the stretch.  Not the opening.  But he has to show something. 

Now you pivot to a very broad definition of showing something to include running?  The ONLY thing Cam, Fields, and Richardson have shown is that they were elite RUNNING Quarterbacks.  To date Cam and Fields are terrible overall QB's who couldn't win consistently and turn the ball over at a worst in the league rate.  Cam's INT was 2.7% and Fields 3.7%.....those are horrendous.  Fields has won 6 games in 2.5 years....Cam nearly had a losing record for his career.  Cam never lived up to the #1 pick status and Fields is going to be replaced in 2024....very poor choices for the argument.  Cam was every bit as disappointing as Bryce has been so far.  

Trevor and Stroud I agree showed something.....both in better situations than Bryce - Stroud MUCH better.  But I disagree that Bryce has shown you nothing.  That's my only point.  You watch Bryce and he is clearly better than Bridgewater, Baker, Darnold, Heineke, anyone the last 4 years.  His accuracy and decision making is light years ahead of all of them and Cam and Fields.  Just because he isn't a runner doesn't mean they showed more....they just showed different.  

• Poo 3