• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evidence of Tepper meddling in football operations?

TeppersEgos

6 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Just because a reporter says that, doesn't mean it's true.

If we had a lame duck coach, I could see Tepper trying to force the issue, but not after he just hired Reich and let him build the "all star staff" that he put together, particularly with all the "QB gurus" that were hired.

If they all came to him and said, look, it can't be Bryce and has to be Stroud for all these reasons and we all fully believe that, he wouldn't have forced them to take Bryce, he's not stupid.

I'm not saying it's not possible that he put his finger on the scale, but this isn't Dallas or the Snyder era Redskins where the owner is also GM or is open about pushing decisions.  It's all speculation by fans that I'm guessing is much further from the truth than it is close to it.

dave is plenty open about influencing the roster.   Teddy Bridgewater ring a bell?

• The D 1

12 hours ago, amcoolio said:

If I owned the team I would meddle in everything EXCEPT actual football operations. I don't know how a man that isn't from football can buy something and then suggest who the team takes in an NFL draft, that's insanity to me. Then again I'm not a billionaire.

To answer your question, Adam Schefter said before the draft that the football operations wanted CJ Stroud, and the owner wanted Young

He absolutely never said this. I hate Tepper but y’all are just making stuff up.

12 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Y’all are just looking for someone to blame for why we drafted the wrong QB. Reality is 31 other teams probably had Bryce firmly above CJ in their evaluations. Sometimes poo just happens. Sucks we didn’t do that first trade where Houston would have gotten 1 and we would have gotten 2.

Reality is there is virtually no chance all 32 teams in the NFL had Young the #1 QB.   Those are very rare seasons in reality where everyone would agree.  And that’s generally a lab built QB like a Luck, Lawrence, etc and I still would be wary of claiming a 32 team consensus. 

Bryce is built like a middle schooler,  there is no doubt some didn’t have  going to have him as the # 1 on physical tools alone vs the other guys.  We greatly debated it internally by reports. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

dave is plenty open about influencing the roster.   Teddy Bridgewater ring a bell?

That was my exact thought, fhe way Tepper was publicly running his mouth about the QB position before the 2020 season was even over.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

and do people really think he has changed?  Hell no

He really thought he was outsmarting the entire NFL with the Rhule hire, like all the buzzword talk of 'sport science' as if the rest of the league wasn't already doing it.

• Flames 1

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

Reality is there is virtually no chance all 32 teams in the NFL had Young the #1 QB.   Those are very rare seasons in reality where everyone would agree.  And that’s generally a lab built QB like a Luck, Lawrence, etc and I still would be wary of claiming a 32 team consensus. 

Bryce is built like a middle schooler,  there is no doubt some didn’t have  going to have him as the # 1 on physical tools alone vs the other guys.  We greatly debated it internally by reports. 

I’m not saying you don’t have points. But you’re ignoring loads of leaks/storylines we got from the media this entire draft cycle to come away with any other thought. Nearly every insider said Bryce was close to unanimously seen as QB1 in this draft. 

All this talk about our owner “forcing” this pick with zero evidence to back it up. Really, there actually were dozens of stories about the Texans not wanting to draft Stroud but the owner more or less forced a QB. Worked out decently well for them. No one would be complaining if that had happened to us. 

I just can’t get mad at the Bryce pick because I’m confident nearly every team in need of a QB (Houston, Indianapolis, Vegas) all would have taken Bryce first. poo is so unpredictable 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I’m not saying you don’t have points. But you’re ignoring loads of leaks/storylines we got from the media this entire draft cycle to come away with any other thought. Nearly every insider said Bryce was close to unanimously seen as QB1 in this draft. 

All this talk about our owner “forcing” this pick with zero evidence to back it up. Really, there actually were dozens of stories about the Texans not wanting to draft Stroud but the owner more or less forced a QB. Worked out decently well for them. No one would be complaining if that had happened to us. 

I just can’t get mad at the Bryce pick because I’m confident nearly every team in need of a QB (Houston, Indianapolis, Vegas) all would have taken Bryce first. poo is so unpredictable 

its not so much "forcing" as it is "influencing"  

And there is plenty of evidence of that. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I'm just acknowledging this wasn't an Andrew Luck type scenario.   Did most probably have him #1? Probably because he was likely viewed as the safest w/ an impressive resume.  But everyone?  Just don't like that argument. 

and Tepper said he would be involved w/ a face of the franchise type pick.  But that frankly is every owner.  Every owner is going to be involved in that pick way more so than anything else.  

I got no issue w/ them picking Bryce.  I got a massive issue w/ the GM/HC/owners building a team around him that doesn't fit what he does.  I don't love Bryce.  I wanted Stroud.  But I was fine if they took a shot on anyone.  But you then got to put him in position to succeed.  They haven't.  And it was clear of that early on w/ the talent they put around him.  It never fit.  And we are seeing the consequences.  And on top of that, they are making no adjustments to help him. 

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, CRA said:

It was reported (whether people believe draft reports or not) that some GMs had Young completely off their draft boards due to his size. I mean it did seem more than not had him at number 1, but who knows the truth. Like you stated no chance all 32 had him at the top or there would have been a bidding war. 

42 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It was reported (whether people believe draft reports or not) that some GMs had Young completely off their draft boards due to his size. I mean it did seem more than not had him at number 1, but who knows the truth. Like you stated no chance all 32 had him at the top or there would have been a bidding war. 

There was a bidding war. We know for a fact the Panthers, Texans, and Raiders we’re all trying to get to 1 to draft Young.