• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Antonio "Wilks" is why Frank has to be fired tomorrow

TheBigKat

8 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I was ok with going in a different direction....................BUT NOT FOR FUGGIN FRANK REICH! If you were just going to hire a retread coach who literally just got fired midseason, you should have just rolled with the guy who got us back to competency.

It's the same as the Cam situation. I was fine moving on from him as the time had come.............BUT NOT FOR FUGGIN TEDDY BRIDGEWATER!!!!!! I'm starting to actually hate this franchise.

Ever since Tepper took over, even the "right" decisions, like moving on from Ron, Marty, Rhule etc., have been bungled by circumstances and timing, and their hand picked replacements have gotten worse with each round. It's just an unending spiral we're in.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, travisura said:

Let's not be dramatic now

First black panthers coach who rallied a loser and directionless team in to a group of men with restored pride. They were ready to run through a wall for that man. Wilks was much more than just a coach to them. 

and he never even got a chance. Rejected. Image how that looked and felt to the players. 

all they had to do was give the man a fair chance and most of the current poo wouldn’t exist. That’s where the locker room is. And I don’t know how to make that right. 

was he the coach for the job? I don’t know. Maybe? Maybe not. 

if he never won a game and they continued to flounder, then ok. But he came in and turned them in to winners, when he wasn’t supposed to.

• Flames 1

It also helps to take over when all the blame walks out with the people fired. Either way getting a half season of that kind of football can really allow your ownership to piss it all away by hiring another clown they fell in love with in the offseason.

I don't see a quality option on the staff. Brown needs a lot more time at the very least. Caldwell is outdated and limited. Evero should be too smart to take that bag of issues.

1 minute ago, Gapanthersfan said:

First black panthers coach who rallied a loser and directionless team in to a group of men with restored pride. They were ready to run through a wall for that man. Wilks was much more than just a coach to them. 

and he never even got a chance. Rejected. Image how that looked and felt to the players. 

all they had to do was give the man a fair chance and most of the current poo wouldn’t exist. That’s where the locker room is. And I don’t know how to make that right. 

was he the coach for the job? I don’t know. Maybe? Maybe not. 

if he never won a game and they continued to flounder, then ok. But he came in and turned them in to winners, when he wasn’t supposed to.

He went 6-6 as interim, and got rocked by good teams, so I disagree with your evaluation that he turned the team into "winners". He had good wins against the Lions and the Bucs (first game), and had absolute howlers against the Steelers and Bucs (second game), the latter of which was with the division and playoffs on the line. It's not hard to understand the reasoning of not hiring him as HC. Like I have said and will continue to say, just because Reich was the wrong hire, doesn't mean Wilks was the right one.

• Pie 1

Say what you will but Wilkes coached to the strength of this team. Last year the oline was road graders.  It was smash mouth fb. If not for a stupid penalty in Atlanta on DJ Moore this team would've hosted a playoff game. Under Wilkes Ikem looked liked an up and coming all pro. This year he looks like he'll be out of the league in 3 years. The running game was super efficient.  Remember Detroit. Remember at Seattle.  If they'd kept him and this system in place sure they wouldn't have serious contenders. They would however Been a playoff contender and also candidates for getting an NFL qb in this year's deep QB class. Now it's a crap show of crap shows. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, KSpan said:

Wilks is a poor strategist - he has proven that many times over the years. Him being better than Rhule was enough to warrant the job 

Wasn't Wilks just like Rivera? Teams knew we were running power but couldn't stop it. To be fair to Wilks, he was playing to our strengths of the team and only Tampa snuffed him out. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, travisura said:

He went 6-6 as interim, and got rocked by good teams, so I disagree with your evaluation that he turned the team into "winners". He had good wins against the Lions and the Bucs (first game), and had absolute howlers against the Steelers and Bucs (second game), the latter of which was with the division and playoffs on the line. It's not hard to understand the reasoning of not hiring him as HC. Like I have said and will continue to say, just because Reich was the wrong hire, doesn't mean Wilks was the right one.

this makes sense on the surface, but keep in mind he had to work with what was given him.

it wasn't his staff or players, and there was no offseason to prep. he couldn't hire anyone, and his hands were tied with bringing in new talent.

he just stepped in and made it work. 

it's a given that mistakes would be made, but everything was trending upwards.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Cam Lawter said:

Wasn't Wilks just like Rivera? Teams knew we were running power but couldn't stop it. To be fair to Wilks, he was playing to our strengths of the team and only Tampa snuffed him out. 

Brady and Evans kept us out of the playoffs. 

We imposed our will on teams. It was fun to watch. It actually won games. It was a good ride while it lasted. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, demcj said:

this makes sense on the surface, but keep in mind he had to work with what was given him.

it wasn't his staff or players, and there was no offseason to prep. he couldn't hire anyone, and his hands were tied with bringing in new talent.

he just stepped in and made it work. 

it's a given that mistakes would be made, but everything was trending upwards.

That's fair, and he did do a good job of restoring respectability and stabilizing the ship. He should be commended for that, I just believe with all context considered, it is not a stretch to believe that he would not be the best HC candidate available. Unfortunately, we have Tepper making those decisions, so now in hindsight he looks miles better than what we have now.