• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much smarter is the GM then the fans

TheBigKat

2 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

Some were in favor of not trading up for either.

I feel like pre-trade, many wanted AZ's spot at #3.  That seemed to be one of the bigger consensus wishes for either Stroud or AR (Oh and the 2-3 that wanted Levis)

Once the trade happened, then many just got on the Bryce train because of the resounding praise he got from the NFL community and the narrative that "He's just got it, the ultimate distributor and field technician" thing.  The Stroud love was still there, but everyone just decided to accept we traded up for Bryce and got hyped.     

• Beer 1

A lot ... on the business side. Have GMs made the wrong pick? Yes. Would we, as fans, also make wrong picks? Yes. It's easy to bash the GM after the fact. Sure there are some on here who own businesses, and could pick up the GM duties eventually. But no, most fans would be lost trying to do the job of a GM. Which looks to be very hard, as most GMs are not fielding championship teams. You can count on one hand the number of elite franchises in the NFL. That's a lot of "bad" GMs.

• Pie 1

I legitimately think there are fans out there who could do a better job than 1/3 of the GMs in the NFL.

I'm not saying just any fan off the street, but there are some very knowledgeable fans out there who watch film and really know the game and could probably build a better roster than some GMs.

It'd make for an interesting realty show. I can see it now: Hard Knocks: GM Edition. One fan gets hired by their favorite team to be the GM for 3 years. At the end of that time they'll either be fired or extended based on the results.

Would be a hell of a lot more interesting than what Tepper and co. are putting on the field these days.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's pretty damn deep currently. I mean, next year is already having to be written off and we're already starting to peruse the '25 QB class.

Would it really be any worse than that?

Dan orvorskly on Get up was throwing the 2025 season as when we should expect young to be good and the hosts laughed at him

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It's pretty damn deep currently. I mean, next year is already having to be written off and we're already starting to peruse the '25 QB class.

Would it really be any worse than that?

I highly suspect Ewers & Sanders are going to return to school.  They're gonna be the talk IF Bryce is not looking the part in 2024.  

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Really?  I may be wrong but that's definitely not my recollection of the consensus for the 2021 draft lol.  I remember most people being opposed to drafting a LB in the Top 10 because they saw Micah Parsons as an off-the-ball linebacker, not the elite pass-rusher he is today.  I don't know that there was a "consensus" Huddle crush for the 2021 draft, but if anything, the plurality seemed to be gunning for Justin Fields which would have also been a bad pick in hindsight.  There were definitely some who wanted Parsons, but it was a small minority from what I remember.

This. I remember one of the very first mocks from a top ESPN head has us taking Parsons and the Huddle went insane.

4 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I feel like pre-trade, many wanted AZ's spot at #3.  That seemed to be one of the bigger consensus wishes for either Stroud or AR (Oh and the 2-3 that wanted Levis)

Once the trade happened, then many just got on the Bryce train because of the resounding praise he got from the NFL community and the narrative that "He's just got it, the ultimate distributor and field technician" thing.  The Stroud love was still there, but everyone just decided to accept we traded up for Bryce and got hyped.     

For me, I wanted Richardson or Stroud depending on the interviews and full evaluations. I basically put myself through mental gymnastics to accept Bryce despite watching his college games and not seeing an NFL physical talent. It was cope.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I legitimately think there are fans out there who could do a better job than 1/3 of the GMs in the NFL.

I'm not saying just any fan off the street, but there are some very knowledgeable fans out there who watch film and really know the game and could probably build a better roster than some GMs.

It'd make for an interesting realty show. I can see it now: Hard Knocks: GM Edition. One fan gets hired by their favorite team to be the GM for 3 years. At the end of that time they'll either be fired or extended based on the results.

Would be a hell of a lot more interesting than what Tepper and co. are putting on the field these days.

Choosing players is one of many, many, duties of a GM. Change the thread title to: Can a fan have better luck than a GM at picking players? Key word: luck.

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If you are talking about day to day operation sure I give you that, if you are talking about scouting then hell no they are not.  

Yes they are.

Fans on here might have info about five to ten guys they like because they've seen highlights of them. GM's have to have info on hundreds.

They also have to be able to look beyond the highlights and attempt to project things like character, medical, etc. and not just in the first round, but all the way down to the seventh and undrafted players.

Fans on a message board thinking they could do better just because they picked a certain guy in hindsight are roughly equivalent to the people who think they could coach an NFL game because they won a Super Bowl in Madden.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Dan orvorskly on Get up was throwing the 2025 season as when we should expect young to be good and the hosts laughed at him

It's wild how the narrative has shifted. It went from Bryce being one of the most polished, NFL ready QB prospects ever to him being some type of project. A 5'10" buck eighty soaking wet dude with no outstanding physical traits does not go #1 overall unless everything else is deemed basically perfect. All the experts got it wrong. They loved the kid, they loved the idea of this brilliant football savant carving up the league despite obvious physical limitations. But they significantly overrated both his physical and mental talent IMO and that seems obvious at this point.

• Flames 1