• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Young safe?

TheBigKat

8 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Joe burrow.

He's the closest I came up with as well, that said he had some let's say "average to above average" offensive skill position talent on that team. Not overall offensive talent because his offensive line was trash. But he's skill position talent wasn't half bad that first year. Higgins, Mixon and Boyd. I'd certainly take them over what we have. 

But my point is, in this league it is very very hard to be a good QB with bad weapons. A good QB on a bad team, yes, your defense could just suck, we see that all the time, but when you have nothing around you on offense, you are usually not going to perform good. 

Lastly I do understand the "flashes" argument. That even with trash weapons, offensive line and coaches, someone who is elite/good would still show flashes. I agree, which is why although I've defended Bryce, I'm not sold on him being the guy 100%. 

19 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

A good QB on a bad team will show you signs they are least capable of making franchise QB throws.

Bryce lack of arm strength and his lack of pocket awareness is not a good sign moving forward. I think even if we put talent around him at best he will be a middle of the pack QB.

I haven't seen anything that tells me this guy was worth the #1 pick. Stroud, AR, Levis have all looked better.

I get the lack of arm strength and agree, it's a concern. I've seen his lack of pocket awareness here and there, and I've also seen him have good pocket awareness here and there. This particular trait is a wait and see for me. It's a lot easier to have good pocket awareness when you consistently have a pocket you can be aware in. Bryce has a had very little of that with this offensive line. 

Any HC walking into a situation with a rookie QB who's struggling & limited, a GM who can't build a roster & a husband/wife meddling owner combo is on a fast path to failure. 

Let's not forget a defense that can't stop the run, RBs who can't impact a game & receivers who are not playmakers.

The HC job will be to prove all of these failed parts can be the best in the NFL. We need a miracle worker who makes zero decisions & can beat the best coaches in the NFL. Who would that be?

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

he'll be safe for next year. best way of securing an early 1st round pick (unless he miraculously turns it around).

Yup, if we're smart we're clear with any prospective candidates that the short term priority is building around Bryce. That means adding more pieces to the OL and especially at WR/TE. The thing is, everywhere on the roster needs talent. So regardless of who is playing QB we would need to be adding talent to these groups anyways. Anyone interviewing has to know Bryce is the priority next year, but if he doesn't start showing growth next season they can start looking for alternate solutions. But the QB musical chairs has to stop. Bryce will have a chance under a new staff with hopefully a better roster, but if he still isn't playing well next year or especially the year following then you can start looking for a replacement to step in while hopefully the roster has been strengthened. It's not as disastrous of a spot as some are making it out to be.

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Justin Herbert come to mind. 

Really??

Just Cam alone.. 

And I love Cam he’s my  favorite player all time but reality is Cam had a bad defense.. On Offense he was set up great..

Olsen, Shockey, Smitty, Lafell, Stewart, Dwill the Oline had Gross, Wharton, Kali and Hangarner .

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2011_roster.htm

Who on this offense starts on that team??

Just now, recceice said:

Tua wasn’t good his rookie year right?? It took investment from Miami to improve his play right??

We traded the farm for a QB that can hopefully someday be as good as Tua?  How many playoff games have the Dolphins won with him? He's undersized and injury prone. One more concussion and he's done.   

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, recceice said:

Really??

Just Cam alone.. 

And I love Cam he’s my  favorite player all time but reality is Cam had a bad defense.. On Offense he was set up great..

Olsen, Shockey, Smitty, Lafell, Stewart, Dwill the Oline had Gross, Wharton, Kali and Hangarner .

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2011_roster.htm

Who on this offense starts on that team??

Newton had a better roster but the nfcs was a much tougher division then. Rookie Newton would probably have 5-6 wins by now with this team.   

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

We traded the farm for a QB that can hopefully someday be as good as Tua?  How many playoff games have the Dolphins won with him? He's undersized and injury prone. One more concussion and he's done.   

Yes we did.. And if we had picked CJ, Levi’s or Ak.. We would be looking the same way IMO.. Because nobody is Superman.. Nobody is making this offensive roster look much better ..