• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into the coaching search from Jonathan Jones

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the Russini article...

Some in the Panthers organization, per a league source, have been texting Johnson about how complicated it has been to work in Carolina this season. Johnson is expected to be the top coaching candidate in 2024.

Yikes! 😬

Not exactly a good sales job.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interesting passage...

As it was described by sources, even though Reich's tenure resulted in a 1-10 record, there was no sense of relief in the building when he was fired. The entire building was relieved when Tepper fired Rhule after Week 5 of the 2022 season.

Why?  I can sum it up in one word: scapegoat.

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Kaye:

Seems like a genuinely nice guy(like the other recently fired Frank).

Mr. Smith, stay the fug away from this shitshow.

I am firmly of the belief that we need a Payton or Harbaugh like guy that is going to put Tepper in his place. It's the only hope we have of getting a little better.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Martin said:

I think it is because Rhule was an asshole and everyone hated working for  him. Everyone liked Frank the person. It is a huge stretch to call a HC going 1-10 a scapegoat.

Name this coach.

image.png.c30802dd2c4968d0e10860f7cdb88730.png

It's a two way road.  People can't say give the rookie time because all rookies struggle, but then say the coach of said rookie is supposed to have a decent record.  That makes no sense.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

One league source described Carolina's vacancy as a "leverage job," meaning candidates will take the interview as leverage for a more attractive job. Tepper's deep pockets could be used to get many candidates raises at their current jobs or increased offers at their new ones.

So not only did he totally screw up our franchise, but he's probably pissing every other team/owner in the league off by basically writing coaches blank checks just to come here. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Name this coach.

image.png.c30802dd2c4968d0e10860f7cdb88730.png

It's a two way road.  People can't say give the rookie time because all rookies struggle, but then say the coach of said rookie is supposed to have a decent record.  That makes no sense.

We can just agree to disagree. I think Frank did an awful job, he was hellbent on not deviating from his scheme. He didn’t care to make adjustments to fit the players, forcing the classic square pegs in the round hole. He did nothing to play to the supposed strengths of Bryce or the o-line, he sat good players etc.

Was it hard to win with Bryce? Sure, but it was also an awful coaching job, I don’t know how it can be viewed otherwise to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

One league source described Carolina's vacancy as a "leverage job," meaning candidates will take the interview as leverage for a more attractive job. Tepper's deep pockets could be used to get many candidates raises at their current jobs or increased offers at their new ones.

So not only did he totally screw up our franchise, but he's probably pissing every other team/owner in the league off by basically writing coaches blank checks just to come here. 

It's fair to point out that what he did but giving Matt Rhule the ridiculous contract he was given, Tepper has now also done for assistant coaches by being willing to "open the checkbook" in hiring Reich's staff.

The other NFL owners that wanted him "in the club" might now be having some second thoughts about it 😕

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

We can just agree to disagree. I think Frank did an awful job, he was hellbent on not deviating from his scheme. He didn’t care to make adjustments to fit the players, forcing the classic square pegs in the round hole. He did nothing to play to the supposed strengths of Bryce or the o-line, he sat good players etc.

Was it hard to win with Bryce? Sure, but it was also an awful coaching job, I don’t know how it can be viewed otherwise to be honest.

Agreed on the disagreement.  I don't know how one gets handed a heaping serving of chopped liver and is expected to make filet mignon out of it.  Frank had his faults, but he also wasn't a miracle worker either.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's fair to point out that what he did but giving Matt Rhule the ridiculous contract he was given, Tepper has now also done for assistant coaches by being willing to "open the checkbook" in hiring Reich's staff.

The other NFL owners that wanted him "in the club" might now be having some second thoughts about it 😕

Exactly, probably shouldn't let anyone in the club that can outbid basically any and all of them. They must get something out of it though since they let the Walmart people in recently as well