• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More insight from Dianna Russini

Mr. Scot

Our play calling has been nothing short of idiotic. I wish we could hire and then re-fire Frank and Beans. At one point we had 4 receivers all running long hook routs at the same time, and this while it was clear the o-line was giving up a lot pf pressure. Frank was one of the dumbest coaches ever.

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, pantherj said:

If I were a coach on the team I would have wanted to bench Young as well to try and keep my job. Dalton is clearly the better QB, and each loss pushes hot head Tepper closer to firing coaches. Yeah put Dalton in would have been my mantra.

Yup.  Reich couldn't win with the rookie and couldn't bench him either.  Frank was in a no win situation...as I stated numerous time.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup.  Reich couldn't win with the rookie and couldn't bench him either.  Frank was in a no win situation...as I stated numerous time.

Frank couldn’t win with the rookie because he did a terrible job. I think anyone else would have had a better record than 1-10 at this point. His scheme and personnel decisions were baffling to everyone. A lot of assumptions here that the dysfunction stemmed from Tepper, but I think even more of it was on Frank. 

15 minutes ago, Martin said:

Frank couldn’t win with the rookie because he did a terrible job. I think anyone else would have had a better record than 1-10 at this point. His scheme and personnel decisions were baffling to everyone. A lot of assumptions here that the dysfunction stemmed from Tepper, but I think even more of it was on Frank. 

Question, would our record have been 1-10 if Dalton started the last 5 games?  Again, the man was in a no win situation.  Tepper wouldn't let him bench Bryce an Bryce isn't NFL ready.

Edited by 45catfan

12 hours ago, Cavscout said:

Yeah Johnson isn't coming here, lol

Nor will any good HC candidates.

Sometimes the money isn't worth it. We have the most difficult owner in the NFL. Why subject yourself to that as a HC? Only guys like Reich who are on their last hurrah would be interested in one more cash grab. You aren't going to see good young head coaching candidates come here. You might see some Nathaniel Hackett's.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Question, would our record have been 1-10 if Dalton started the last 5 games?  Again, the man was in a no win situation.  Tepper wouldn't let him bench Bryce an Bryce isn't NFL ready.

IDK if I would even say that Bryce isn't NFL ready. He just isn't ready to lead a team that is as poorly built and coached as this. Most rookies would struggle in this scenario.

I have been saying for a few weeks now we should bench him. There is absolutely ZERO benefit to rolling him out there every week to fail. We are just going to ruin the guy we traded all that capital for. 

Dalton will be marginally more successful and there is no downside to him being in a shitty situation. He's at the end of his career. We aren't going to ruin him.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

IDK if I would even say that Bryce isn't NFL ready. He just isn't ready to lead a team that is as poorly built and coached as this. Most rookies would struggle in this scenario.

I have been saying for a few weeks now we should bench him. There is absolutely ZERO benefit to rolling him out there every week to fail. We are just going to ruin the guy we traded all that capital for. 

Dalton will be marginally more successful and there is no downside to him being in a shitty situation. He's at the end of his career. We aren't going to ruin him.

100% agree and I've been saying this as well.  Dalton is collecting easy money holding a clipboard and while we would still not be a good team with Dalton, a win here and there does wonders for moral--the team and fans.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

100% agree and I've been saying this as well.  Dalton is collecting easy money holding a clipboard and while we would still not be a good team with Dalton, a win here and there does wonders for moral--the team and fans.

Yeah and we aren't protecting anyone's draft capital but the Bears.

This is about as much of a win-win situation as we are going to get at the moment. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Nor will any good HC candidates.

Sometimes the money isn't worth it. We have the most difficult owner in the NFL. Why subject yourself to that as a HC? Only guys like Reich who are on their last hurrah would be interested in one more cash grab. You aren't going to see good young head coaching candidates come here. You might see some Nathaniel Hackett's.

Or otherwise...

Mentioned in another thread that I could see Tepper offering the GM job to Browns executive Catherine Raiche, not necessarily because she's the best candidate (she may or may not be, I don't know) but because it would make headlines and help him look like a hero. Hiring an analytics type rather than a traditional personnel guy could also be an option.

The same could be true of somebody like Eric Bieniemy. I don't really expect he'll be the best candidate available in the next cycle, but he could conceivably be one that would take the job. And then Tepper could crow about being the person who finally offered him the head coaching job people think he deserves.

Tepper absolutely strikes me as someone who'd be willing to take a short term "feel good" bump for hiring someone, even if it meant getting a person who wasn't really the best option 😕