• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More insight from Dianna Russini

Mr. Scot

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Or otherwise...

Mentioned in another thread that I could see Tepper offering the GM job to Browns executive Catherine Raiche, not necessarily because she's the best candidate (she may or may not be, I don't know) but because it would make headlines and help him look like a hero. Hiring an analytics type rather than a traditional personnel guy could also be an option.

The same could be true of somebody like Eric Bieniemy. I don't really expect he'll be the best candidate available in the next cycle, but he could conceivably be one that would take the job. And then Tepper could crow about being the person who finally offered him the head coaching job people think he deserves.

Tepper absolutely strikes me as someone who'd be willing to take a short term "feel good" bump for hiring someone, even if it meant getting a person who wasn't really the best option 😕

Fitterer has another year at least. 

I suspect we will get our 4th or 5th option of HC candidate. 

44 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Fitterer has another year at least. 

I suspect we will get our 4th or 5th option of HC candidate. 

Very possible, and that's the vibe I get from Russini.

But even if he waits and looks for a new GM next year, the same principle applies.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Very possible, and that's the vibe I get from Russini.

But even if he waits and looks for a new GM next year, the same principle applies.

It will be interesting to see. He seems to make wild swings in direction so I sort of expect him to get some veteran GM that is long past his prime and perhaps has been on the shelf for years. Then surround him with a bunch of analytics nerds that feed him info he has no idea what to do with.

So, basically the same construction as our current coaching staff but in the FO.

9 minutes ago, nctommy said:

There is also this.  Didn't see Pat M show, but if true then it is exactly what some have said.  Want money, come in get the contract and get fired.  Easy money.  Want to win, stay away. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/chuck-pagano-carolina-panthers-job/624857?fbclid=IwAR2XCVLs9b68YjBkE7ovTUs7t55mna9ADMO_djY0jbVyGbhbeI_0RR7sMKY

Carolina last had a winning season in 2017 — a year before Tepper bought the team.

11 minutes ago, nctommy said:

There is also this.  Didn't see Pat M show, but if true then it is exactly what some have said.  Want money, come in get the contract and get fired.  Easy money.  Want to win, stay away. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/chuck-pagano-carolina-panthers-job/624857?fbclid=IwAR2XCVLs9b68YjBkE7ovTUs7t55mna9ADMO_djY0jbVyGbhbeI_0RR7sMKY

Pagano, who is a regular guest on “The Pat McAfee Show,” was asked by McAfee on Thursday whether the Panthers job is desirable to prospective coach candidates. Pagano gave a blunt 2-word answer.

“Hell no,” Pagano said.

Pagano, who coached the Indianapolis Colts from 2012-2017, said that the only reason to take the job is if a coach is looking to secure a big pay day.

“Why would you (take the job)? Other than, ‘hey, I need a guaranteed contract of $50 [million], OK, fine.’ But, [coaches] are competitors. They want to win and they want to win championships.

“You want to go somewhere where you got great ownership, you got a great partnership with a GM that they’re going to put you together with … you guys have the same vision, same philosophy … but you can’t go down to a place that … you can’t be successful right now [in Carolina]. Now if you want just the money, go get the money, get the check and get run out of town after 11 ballgames …”

After Pagano shared his thoughts, McAfee noted that the former Colts head coach is still connected to many coaches around the NFL. McAfee was implying that Pagano’s thoughts reflect the prevailing sentiment among coaches regarding the Carolina job.

Tepper has sealed the Panthers into an owners fantasy team. Tepper will control every aspect of the team & delegate all responsibilities to be done according to his plan & metrics.

He's been a math/data/finance guy since his college years. He's clearly focused on proving he can solve & revolutionize the NFL.

Tepper will be used as a stepping stone until he finds the next Bill Walsh merging Brown, Gilman & military analytics.

It's going to be several dark years until Tepper finds his football genius who revolutionizes the game to eclipse the Walsh-McVay dominance rooted in Stanford/Cal/Silicon Valley.