• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Cannot Make Basic NFL Throws

BIGH2001

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Honestly. Mac Jones was a significantly better QB at Alabama than Bryce. And he is ass cheeks in the NFL.

I feel like for Bryce Young to turn this around and have a hall of fame career he would have to be the ultimate outlier. Second only to Tom Brady.

Mac Jones statistically had one of the best rookie qb seasons ever. Some elite golfers just get the yips and ruins a promising career.

9 minutes ago, frankw said:

Honestly. Mac Jones was a significantly better QB at Alabama than Bryce. And he is ass cheeks in the NFL.

I feel like for Bryce Young to turn this around and have a hall of fame career he would have to be the ultimate outlier. Second only to Tom Brady.

I just don't understand how everyone could see Mac's NFL limitations and yet convinced themselves that Bryce was some kind of super processor who would be able to overcome his. This narrative that Bryce was overcoming a talent deficit at Alabama was especially baffling. It's ALA-fuging-BAMA. Bama in a down year is still absolutely a top 10 NCAA roster. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My concern is this might be the best Bryce is gonna look. Most 1st round QBs are drafted largely on potential. You expect them to get better as their experience catches up to their talent. With guys like Bryce you're expecting their experience and mature beyond their years mentality to carry them. Mac Jones was a similar guy. He threw for nearly 4k yards and 22 TDs vs. 13 INTs as a rookie. Everyone was talking about him as potentially the next Brady. Well, look at him now after the NFL has got more film on him and can better exploit his talent deficiencies. 

I fear it's very possible that we're seeing the best of Bryce right now. 

On the other hand, if psychology major Bryce can find the clutch gene he was drafted for, he could shred these stacked boxes and route-sitting db’s. 
Alex Smith was the same thing- super IQ weak arm. Just took him 5 years 

2 minutes ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

On the other hand, if psychology major Bryce can find the clutch gene he was drafted for, he could shred these stacked boxes and route-sitting db’s. 
Alex Smith was the same thing- super IQ weak arm. Just took him 5 years 

And Smith's ceiling was as a game managing average QB while playing for arguably the greatest offensive coach of all-time.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And Smith's ceiling was as a game managing average QB while playing for arguably the greatest offensive coach of all-time.

Here’s the sad thing, if we had Alex Smith at his peak, we’d probably rule the NFC South (the worst division in pro football) for the rest of the decade.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Here’s the sad thing, if we had Alex Smith at his peak, we’d probably rule the NFC South (the worst division in pro football) for the rest of the decade.

We'd definitely be in the mix this year, that's for sure. We'd honestly probably be in the mix if we had simply played Dalton. I honestly thought we would've rode Dalton until the wheels fell off after his promising game in Seattle. There should've been no rush to get Bryce back out there 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Peak Alex Smith was still a top-15 qb, who became very good to nearly great once tyreek hill and Kelce came along. Brady was a game manager until Moss. If you have a crap team, managing is the best you can do

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, Shocker said:

This is not getting better this season but beat the dead horse all you want.  His supporting cast sucks

It’s not good but can be serviceable in the power run game and from the slot. The main problem is that Bryce just sucks; everything is late, he can’t handle the pressure, there’s not enough zip on his balls to make tight window throws, his footwork is making it difficult to protect him, there’s no positives. He’s not giving us a chance.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

He’s not giving us a chance.

This is the part the defenders refuse to acknowledge. Our QB isn't giving us an opportunity to compete. It's really that simple. Forget all the stat breakdowns. Just watch the games. There are plenty of plays where we don't have a chance. The OL gets blown up or receivers don't get separation and there's no running lanes to scramble. That's true. But there's also plenty of plays where there's an opportunity there and our QB doesn't give us a chance. Today featured a lot of them. It blows my mind that people are actually saying they were encouraged today simply because Bryce threw the ball down the field. Yeah, he did. But the results were awful. He didn't EFFECTIVELY throw the ball down the field. Honestly, he made me realize why we didn't throw the ball down the field more this year. We threw the ball 20+ yards more than 5 times twice all year. Week 3 when Dalton went 4/7 with a TD and today when Bryce went 1/9.

Folks, we have a QB problem. I'm sorry, but it's really obvious. We have other problems too, but we absolutely have a QB problem.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, RayRedd said:

Unanimous choice by the "football people"...

...crying shame Tepper went along and didn't use his veto.  🤦‍♂️

That’s probably Tepper’s main take away from the circumstance…that he needs to override the coaches and scouts more often. I’m also certain it was very clear who he wanted before they all voted.

• Pie 2

*long post*

We traded the 2 best players and this year’s first for this. You could literally take any practice squad qb from any team in the and get the same results as we are seeing now. 

I swear to God the hit job on the Panthers 100% has to be purposeful. Decline 2 firsts for Burns, see ya later to the only coach that had us winning since God knows when, ship off 2 pro bowlers and this year’s first. All of this over the period of a little more than a year?

The formula is so stinking simple. Crash the line with 8 or run an stunt and take away the first shallow read because that’s where he’s looking to go 75% of the time. So now that’s gone. 2nd and 3rd reads are further than he feels comfortable since NFL safeties, CBs and LBs close a lot faster than college. You can forget about ever trying to hit a TE with a 30 yard dart who found the soft spot in the zone. He’s just not capable.

So the pressure is now on him because pistol lines him up as a sitting duck  from the left side. He usually will escape to the left, praying for a busted coverage or a dump off to Chuba 7 yards behind the LOS where he is gang tackled by 3 defenders. 

TEs make a living as warriors of the middle of the field. Bryce throwing in to the middle of the field is a recipe for disaster. So take that away. I’m not sure how a stud TE would really help him. 

He has always found his success off improv… in other words, finding busted coverage. His arm shortcomings eliminate so much from an NFL playbook. Trying to win by following the script will never happen with him. It would take a generational freak like Megatron for him to have reliable production that way. 

Our receivers outside of Thielen aren’t great, but they’re not terrible either. Chark and Mingo know that almost every ball that comes their way will either be way high or behind them. Rarely they’ll actually get a good one thrown their way, but the play almost never feels like there’s any rhythm or timing. Nothing ever feels on time (WRs have their fair share of blame in this as well). They’re certainly unmotivated and it shows. They feel like they don’t deserve this, and I agree, they don’t. In better circumstances, both are probably 600-800 yard 5-8 td type of dudes.

So we gave away our team for a guy that needs an all pro center and LT and receivers who can immediately beat the jam off the line so they can run their shallow route, that takes them no deeper than 15 yards off the LOS, or juke defenders out of their shoes on a comeback after Bryce is running for his life on another busted play. 

Again, I love the guy and hold no ill will on him, I just want him on someone else’s practice squad. He can not make the throws an NFl qb has to make to win games on script. He relies on busted coverage or high level WR play. Trying to play on script with a full NFl playbook will set a league record for pick 6s. It’s not his game and never has been. Throwing vertically down the middle of the field gives me chest pain.

I sure wish Dave and Nicole would have thought about this before they fell in love. Football is a big man’s game. Not a game of Stump the Schwab. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

We may have the worst skill position group but I don’t believe the line is the worst. Going off PFF’s pass blocking efficiency metrics they have the Jets, Giants, and Titans worse. I think Bryce just tends to struggle with normal NFL pressure, no one gets clean pockets in the league, 84% of pockets are considered “muddied” league wide.

Go back to camp when the pads went on and it wasn’t just pitch and catch. Word was not good. This has been what it always was going to be.