• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young is historically bad, and he's regressing

TN05

32 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

This is exactly what terrible OL play, bad scheme, and no receiver separation can do to a QB.

He already had "unconventional" footwork in the pocket; now he is much more sloppy and bails quickly.  He is constantly expecting pressure and his pocket awareness clock is out of skew.

He is forcing passes and not patient with developing plays.  He is checking behind his back on play action expecting to be hit.

He may have struggled even with things going well around him; it's impossible to tell.  But his environment has harmed his development tremendously.

They need to fix it this offseason with every $$$ and draft pick they have or he will be lost forever (and maybe he was always destined to fail?)

They should not invest in anything tailored specifically to Bryce, just get the best players you can get and if he can't deliver, play someone else at qb. For instance if we got an actual deep threat it would be useless to Bryce but old ass Dalton could use that to his advantage

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think our offensive issues are more due to Bryce's issues than Bryce's issues are due to our offensive issues.

Hopefully that reads right.

I don't but it's beating a dead horse to argue it.

All we can do is hope that the team re-tools and Bryce is a capable player next season with better talent and coaching around him.   I don't know if it's likely.  But it's the only option we have unless you want to miserable and pull for another 1-17 season to be proven right.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jamos14 said:

I don't but it's beating a dead horse to argue it.

All we can do is hope that the team re-tools and Bryce is a capable player next season with better talent and coaching around him.   I don't know if it's likely.  But it's the only option we have unless you want to miserable and pull for another 1-17 season to be proven right.

Put the best tools around Bryce that we can and if he Pickles us to a top pick in '25 then hope we choose wiser next time.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

They should not invest in anything tailored specifically to Bryce, just get the best players you can get and if he can't deliver, play someone else at qb. For instance if we got an actual deep threat it would be useless to Bryce but old ass Dalton could use that to his advantage

Agreed.  If so, we'd sign 3 more Adam Thielen clones.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think our offensive issues are more due to Bryce's issues than Bryce's issues are due to our offensive issues.

I mean it’s still a mix of both. I’ve long been a Bryce defender, but as the season has progressed, I’ve come around to the perspective that he’s definitely a big part of the problem.

I still think he’s better than he’s shown, but that at this point, he’s shellshocked. And I do still believe the offensive line, the WRs, and scheme (route combos) really make/made it hard on him. But he’s missing too many plays when the rest of the offense does execute. Everything is such a poo show and all the deficiencies play off each other and multiply to give us the historically bad offensive production that we have. Bryce is a part of that. 

It remains to be seen whether the situation and he himself can improve into a workable offense over the course of the next year. But I’m off the “he can be a franchise QB train.” I see serviceable at best if everything comes together perfectly, which of course is unlikely. And living “in the middle” of the NFL hierarchy is not where we want to be long term (although god it would feel so much better than where we are now…)  

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Put the best tools around Bryce that we can and if he Pickles us to a top pick in '25 then hope we choose wiser next time.

I agree. 

We do need to develop a specific scheme that's best suited for our players (including Bryce) instead of going the Reich route of round peg/square hole.

I truly think he can/will be successful with solid blocking, some WR talent, and scheme.   (yes, I'm disappointed with what we traded for this but it's sunk cost at this point; I'll take above average)

43 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's not just regressing, he's regressing HARD. He was limited from the get go, but now he's limited and the NFL knows it.

Its going to get even uglier if they keep sending him out there. For the love of god Tepper, please bench the kid.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

This is exactly what terrible OL play, bad scheme, and no receiver separation can do to a QB.

He already had "unconventional" footwork in the pocket; now he is much more sloppy and bails quickly.  He is constantly expecting pressure and his pocket awareness clock is out of skew.

He is forcing passes and not patient with developing plays.  He is checking behind his back on play action expecting to be hit.

He may have struggled even with things going well around him; it's impossible to tell.  But his environment has harmed his development tremendously.

They need to fix it this offseason with every $$$ and draft pick they have or he will be lost forever (and maybe he was always destined to fail?)

Lol the dude can't even hit wide open receivers anymore. I'm sorry, but regardless of how poor our talent is, it isn't just a failure of him to elevate people around him like other good QBs (even rookies) do, it's his inability to even play decently.

He's just getting worse and worse... He needs to sit.

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah teams know what he can't do, and that takes out nearly 50% of the guess work that goes into game planning for an offense. No deep ball, can't qb sneak, won't step up into the pocket because he's too short to see over the line at that point. Defenses would play Dalton completely differently with the same O-line and wr's

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

elevate people around him like other good QBs (even rookies) do,

Like CJ did yesterday without his top 2 receivers?

It's impossible to have a real football discussion with people on here because there are so many trolls or people posting with extreme hyperbole  (HE CAN'T THROW A PASS, HE'S THE WORST EVER, blah blah blah).

I'm not even on here spreading rays of sunshine or acting like his poo doesn't stink.  Everybody has to constantly hate instead of trying to actually discuss the entire football team.  

• Flames 1