• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Bowl Season

jayboogieman

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, I don't really care that they got jobbed. Without their QB they definitely weren't one of the best four teams and ultimately I want to see the best possible field. I couldn't possibly care less about the ACC as a conference.

I’m speculating but I think the ncaa is so pissed at Michigan that may have played a role in putting Bama in there as well - Free Shoes University with their 4th string QB would have been a free pass to the title game - they are probably hoping Bama takes Michigan out and will certainly be there to say “I told you so” when UGA curbstomps the Criminoles 

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

I’m speculating but I think the ncaa is so pissed at Michigan that may have played a role in putting Bama in there as well - Free Shoes University with their 4th string QB would have been a free pass to the title game - they are probably hoping Bama takes Michigan out and will certainly be there to say “I told you so” when UGA curbstomps the Criminoles 

FS better have something for UGA. 

FSU vs. UGA is irrelevant. Who cares which one is the better team with all their draft bound players chilling on the sidelines in street clothes? It's why the non-playoff P5 bowls are irrelevant now. Just do the playoffs and then keep a handful of bowls around for the good non-P5 D1 teams that are never gonna qualify for the playoffs anyway. It might be time for a total realignment. There should probably only be about 40-50 true D1 football teams. 

If you're on a team at that level, your a good player. Those coaches are paid millions to make sure the next guy is going to play well. The score will be remembered in my book. Why have we been  talking about the Panthers week to week. They have been out of it since preseason. I would think that if FS wanted to make a statement, it's in their corner.

1 hour ago, GEM said:

If you're on a team at that level, your a good player. Those coaches are paid millions to make sure the next guy is going to play well. The score will be remembered in my book. Why have we been  talking about the Panthers week to week. They have been out of it since preseason. I would think that if FS wanted to make a statement, it's in their corner.

It's not in "their" corner. They'd love for all of their players to suit up. It's not in the interests of draft bound players to suit up. I honestly won't be surprised if we get to the point that draft bound players start opting out mid-season if their teams aren't playoff bound. It is what it is. It sucks for college football but I don't blame the players. You could try to do something moving forward to having NIL money incentives to not sit out but other than that what else are you gonna do? It is what it is.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not in "their" corner. They'd love for all of their players to suit up. It's not in the interests of draft bound players to suit up. I honestly won't be surprised if we get to the point that draft bound players start opting out mid-season if their teams aren't playoff bound. It is what it is. It sucks for college football but I don't blame the players. You could try to do something moving forward to having NIL money incentives to not sit out but other than that what else are you gonna do? It is what it is.

NIL specific contracts for bowl games could work. That or include NIL incentives for playing in bowl games.

10 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

NIL specific contracts for bowl games could work. That or include NIL incentives for playing in bowl games.

It would probably have to be extra incentives. And then other programs would probably use that to recruit against you. I mean, honestly they'd rather their players suit up for the bowls but they're cashing that check anyway so at the end of the day they're not really negatively impacted by the sit outs at the end of the day. 

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It would probably have to be extra incentives. And then other programs would probably use that to recruit against you. I mean, honestly they'd rather their players suit up for the bowls but they're cashing that check anyway so at the end of the day they're not really negatively impacted by the sit outs at the end of the day. 

Yeah. And as FSU proved today, it's all about the money

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Yeah. And as FSU proved today, it's all about the money

Oh, it's definitely about the money. And it's football. College basketball is on the steep decline. Growing up in NC in the '80s and '90s college basketball was life. It's a shadow of what it once was. 

Everything is about money and football is where the money is.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, it's definitely about the money. And it's football. College basketball is on the steep decline. Growing up in NC in the '80s and '90s college basketball was life. It's a shadow of what it once was. 

Everything is about money and football is where the money is.

There's also money in college women's basketball and volleyball. Those two sports are on the rise, with the volleyball championship doing 1.7 million viewers last Sunday against the NFL, but it still doesn't compare to football. That said, the volleyball game increased its ratings by 115% over 2022, so ABC/ESPN were probably thrilled.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

There's also money in college women's basketball and volleyball. Those two sports are on the rise, with the volleyball championship doing 1.7 million viewers last Sunday against the NFL, but it still doesn't compare to football. That said, the volleyball game increased its ratings by 115% over 2022, so ABC/ESPN were probably thrilled.

In terms of revenue it's football by miles followed by men's basketball then another drop off of miles to everything else. 

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

FSU vs. UGA is irrelevant. Who cares which one is the better team with all their draft bound players chilling on the sidelines in street clothes? It's why the non-playoff P5 bowls are irrelevant now. Just do the playoffs and then keep a handful of bowls around for the good non-P5 D1 teams that are never gonna qualify for the playoffs anyway. It might be time for a total realignment. There should probably only be about 40-50 true D1 football teams. 

Bowls have been irrelevant for almost 100% of their existence. The playoffs didn't change this at all.

• Flames 1