• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Never forget how Scott Two Chinn handled the Lamar Jackson opportunity

TheBigKat

12 minutes ago, t96 said:

McCaffrey has like 400 more yards and 9 more TDs. In a game where Purdy sucked ass, McCaffrey still dominated. Hill is great but he benefits from scheme and teammates just like McCaffrey. The significant gap in production propels Christian ahead.

I just disagree. You have to make a bigger impact on team success than a RB is capable of, IMO.

I can see the counter argument against Hill, as well.

16 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Yep. 

First: plenty of teams were in on Deshaun Watson who hadn’t played in basically two years. Rodgers was falling apart when the jets traded for him. 

second: so? Force their hand. If you really believe the ravens are going to match you lose nothing by making them do so. The panthers weren’t tied to a starter. There was no downside in attempting this. 

Quick glance at OTC, the Panthers had roughly 5m cap space available going into 2023 offseason. To even make the offer, assuming a 50m per season guaranteed offer, they would have needed to create 45m in cap space through restructuring, etc. There is definitely downside to doing this if you think the Ravens would match the offer. To make the offer, you have to be in the position for the other team to say yes. We weren't even close. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Quick glance at OTC, the Panthers had roughly 5m cap space available going into 2023 offseason. To even make the offer, assuming a 50m per season guaranteed offer, they would have needed to create 45m in cap space through restructuring, etc. There is definitely downside to doing this if you think the Ravens would match the offer. To make the offer, you have to be in the position for the other team to say yes. We weren't even close. 

Oh no not…..manipulating the salary cap

anything but that 

• The D 1

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am. In order to make the offer, you need the cap space available. How many teams realistically had 55m plus per season available to make a fully guaranteed offer? And if you didn't have that money available and had to restructure contracts, look at what we did for Watson, and you knew that the Ravens could just match it, all you've done is hurt yourself to accomplish nothing. It's not like teams didn't want LJ. It's not just about the offer. It's what you have to do to your own situation to even make the offer.  

I get this but the reports were the teams who realistically could make that happen just didn't have any interest.

The Carolina's/Atlanta's/Washington's and many more were reportedly not interested in pursuing him at all.

24 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Oh no not…..manipulating the salary cap

anything but that 

You can manipulate the salary cap easily enough, but what purpose would it do to create all that cap space when you don't legitimately have a chance of actually making the trade? 

Asking price pre tag was 3 1sts, multiple 2nds and players. You think they were going to accept 2 1sts and walk away? No chance in hell. You don't shoot yourself in the foot just so you can say you fired a shot. 

21 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

You can manipulate the salary cap easily enough, but what purpose would it do to create all that cap space when you don't legitimately have a chance of actually making the trade? 

Asking price pre tag was 3 1sts, multiple 2nds and players. You think they were going to accept 2 1sts and walk away? No chance in hell. You don't shoot yourself in the foot just so you can say you fired a shot. 

How can you say this knowing what the panthers did with two first rounders?

If you wouldn’t give up a 2025 first to upgrade to Lamar from the Lollipop Guild I don’t know what to tell you. 

Edited by electro's horse
  • Flames 2

26 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

How can you say this knowing what the panthers did with two first rounders?

If you wouldn’t give up a 2025 first to upgrade to Lamar from the Lollipop Guild I don’t know what to tell you. 

Would I rather have Lamar than Young? Without a doubt. But you're using info we didn't have at that time. All I'm saying is there's no way the Ravens were going to settle for 2 1sts with the tag than what they were previously asking for him. Restructuring deals wouldn't have mattered because the Ravens weren't going to let him walk, even if we did make the offer. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Would I rather have Lamar than Young? Without a doubt. But you're using info we didn't have at that time. All I'm saying is there's no way the Ravens were going to settle for 2 1sts with the tag than what they were previously asking for him. Restructuring deals wouldn't have mattered because the Ravens weren't going to let him walk, even if we did make the offer. 

They would have a choice and why do you think they assigned the tag to begin with?

Also why do you think it would be a good idea for another team to negotiate his contract if you knew you would always simply match it?  None of it makes sense

11 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Panthers traded for the first on March 10th.

Lamar was extended in April, and the demands had been known for months. 

We knew everything we needed to know at the time and decided to nuke the team to draft a midget who Nicole didn’t feel threatened by at dinner. 

Edited by electro's horse

Fun fact we gave up more for Bryce Young in a trade then it would have took to trade for Lamar.

Yes Lamar would have screwed up our cap, but we would still have DJ Moore on this offense. Lamar has shown he doesn't need much to win games.

He went into San Fran with basically just a rookie WR and not much else. Dudes were dropping passes and Lamar still carried them to victory. Lamar is the offense. That's why you go after him!

Fug you Tepper!

I'd add with regard to Jackson in particular that the regular season isn't over and the playoffs haven't started.

What does that mean? Well, a couple of the biggest criticisms of Jackson have revolved around games lost to injury and fading in the playoffs.

Those two things haven't happened this season...yet.

The above mentioned timeline means they still could, and even if they don't happen this year, they still could next.

Always be careful about declaring victory before the race is over.

Edited by Mr. Scot