• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic article on GM candidates

Mr. Scot

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Scott Fitterer is a good little yes man and that's exactly what Tepper wants. I'll believe we'll have a real GM with real GM duties when I see actual evidence of such a thing. Seeing a legit veteran QB signed to have a legit camp competition with Bryce would be step 1.

"Real GM duties" encompasses way more than just personnel decisions. There are dozens of other things involved across every department on the team. That's pretty standard for every team in the league.

The idea would be to remove him from personnel decisions but keep him running other areas where he's reported to be doing a good job. As mentioned, that's what a lot of us used to wish would happen with Marty.

It's also worth noting that it's a similar arrangement to what they have out in San Francisco. Adam Peters is in charge of anything personnel related while John Lynch handles everything else.

As far as I know, we'd be the only other team with that sort of dynamic.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We were the worst team in the league in part because Bryce Young was our QB. That's a hard truth to accept but it is what it is.

Look, I don’t disagree. Bryce has had a less than stellar rookie season for sure but I also think part of the issue is that we were sold a false reality by the personnel staff. That this roster was a QB away, which wasn’t true and we see that now. Our WR’s are among the worst in the league at separation, the O-line has let up the second most sacks this season, and the offensive scheme is God awful. Bryce has been suboptimal for sure but all I’m saying is that if we get a good GM in here that drafts and hits FA well and a good coach, the kid might be better. And if he’s not then we can cut bait after next year. 

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

it's the NFL in 2024 though.  I think your argument would be 100% spot on years ago.  Players don't get the time they used to get.  Plus you have to factor in the new HC angle.   I don't see how Bryce can suck again next year and get a year 3 as our starter.  New HC will be done with Bryce. New HCs got no time for the prior eras guys.   And no one gets the time they once did.  Coaches nor players.  

I think we’re saying the same thing in a way lol. I feel like the 2024 season will be big for Bryce because if he’s bad and the team is bad, they’ll be in position to draft a new QB in 2025. One that the new HC and hopefully new GM will have had input on. But for now, I 100% guarantee Tepper will hire somebody who thinks they can get the best out of Bryce. So the pressure will be on to show big improvement for him next year. I think he’ll prove that. He was largely viewed as the top guy for a reason, we just gotta hope the next HC can pull that out of him and the next GM is better about acquiring talent. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Real GM duties" encompasses way more than just personnel decisions. There are dozens of other duties involved. That's pretty standard for every team in the league.

The idea would be to remove him from personnel decisions but keep him running other areas where he's reported to be doing a good job. As mentioned, that's what a lot of us used to wish would happen with Marty.

It's also worth noting that it's a similar arrangement to what they have out in San Francisco. Adam Peters is in charge of anything personnel related while John Lynch handles everything else.

As far as I know, we'd be the only other team with that sort of dynamic.

Stop. Nobody cares about who's doing the paper pushing. We're talking about the roster and all that entails. Drafting, signing free agents, re-signing our own players, building a scouting team and front office. That's the only thing fans care about regarding the GM and I seriously question how much influence anyone not carrying the Tepper last name has on the major decisions.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Stop. Nobody cares about who's doing the paper pushing. We're talking about the roster and all that entails. Drafting, signing free agents, re-signing our own players, building a scouting team and front office. That's the only thing fans care about regarding the GM and I seriously question how much influence anyone not carrying the Tepper last name has on the major decisions.

His defense of fitt is nucking futs

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Are we?

I've only seen two or three people actually talk about that in this thread. There's been hardly any mention of the candidates listed.

First response was about Fitterer and numerous other posts have stuck to that topic rather than actually talking about anything in the OP.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Are we?

I've only seen two or three people actually talk about that in this thread. There's been hardly any mention of the candidates listed.

First response was about Fitterer and numerous other posts have stuck to that topic rather than actually talking about anything in the OP.

I just don't think anyone really cares about the GM position because most of us think that it's David Tepper calling the shots whenever he wants to call them. So it really doesn't matter who has the role in title. You're a glorified secretary when David Tepper has an opinion.

On the topic at hand though. I personally won’t be able to feel optimistic about the offseason unless Tepper fires Scott next Monday. Him doing that would signal to me that he’s really trying to don’t things right this time around. 

I think he’d be smart to go out and hire like a Rick Spielman type as a President of Football Ops and let that person guide the GM search. Getting a good GM in here is damn near more important than getting the top HC candidate to me because this team has a talent and depth issue. We need somebody who can draft well in all rounds of the draft, not just round 1. That’ll sure up some depth issues. Whoever that person is that can do that, hire them. We have to start hitting on draft picks if we want to have a competitive and consistent roster. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

that's not similar.  Peters worked his way into the role of being Lynch's assistant.  And is called such.  He wasn't some leftover from a bad prior regime that simply got to keep duties. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just don't think anyone really cares about the GM position because most of us think that it's David Tepper calling the shots whenever he wants to call them. So it really doesn't matter who has the role in title. You're a glorified secretary when David Tepper has an opinion.

I wouldn't say nobody wants to talk about that. Just a certain triggered few...

That people object to the idea of him staying with the team in a non-personnel role just tells me their opinions are more emotional than logical.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yea lets promote Fitterer.  The guy who has been the worst GM in team history and likely stabbed Reich and others in the back to save his own skin.  Sounds like someone a new GM and coach would want in the office.

It seems like there's two requirements to keeping a job with Tepper. 1. A healthy dose of "Yessir, Mr. Tepper! Brilliant idea sir!" 2. Stand there like an idiot when he's assaulting rival fans and act like it's not happening.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't say nobody wants to talk about that. Just a certain triggered few...

That people object to the idea of him staying with the team in a non-personnel role just tells me their opinions are more emotional than logical.

lol he fuging sucks dude

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

lol he fuging sucks dude

Perhaps at personnel decisions, but per insiders he's done a good job at the other parts of running the team offices and such and is very well liked throughout the building.

So given that knowledge, what would be the problem with committing him to those things, which also then leaves the next GM able to concentrate on personnel matters only?