• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With Panthers cleaning house how safe is Bryce

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't  think the message is to not try to win.  I think it's acknowledging that it is an uphill battle from the start. It's not saying playoffs or bust. It's says let's see what they are made of and who is part of the plans going forward. If you base it on last seasons results that means only a handful of players. Of course there will need to be a lot more of those types to include.  But it's hard to say if there's any being overlooked because everything was complete ass with this team. There's not enough talent here or that can be added in one offseason to expect a winning season. This team is just not good enough to seriously compete. But the team will never admit that in public. It's just a given that will go unstated or unacknowledged by the team. As fans you should know this also. If not you will be severely disappointed. 

As we sit here today on 1/9 my over under for 2024 is 5 wins.  Sure that could change but a lot and I mean a lot of poo has to happen and go right for us

14 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That's the million dollar question.  That decision will probably be decided between Tepper and the new coach.  I'm sure it will be determined before the 1st game is played. When is enough enough? Only Tepper can decide that as he will be watching along with the rest of us.  

I think Tepper is almost an unpredictable morphing figuring at this point.  Overcorrecting.  I do think Tepper "tries" to do good.  I think his hires have been very different because he doesn't actually have a vision of how to win or what he wants his team to be.....and I think his approach with each coach was very different.  But he almost had it backwards.  Rhule needed a lot of help to start things off and had none.  Not saying it needed to be Tepper.  But Rhule needed NFL help.  It came late essentially to do deal with the end of days of the Rhule era.  But the Rhule era was too light on NFL knowledge.  Newb GM.  Newb HC.  Newb NFL DC. Newb NFL OC.  

Then Frank didn't need help and Tepper went overboard ramming it down Frank's throat.  Old HCs overseeing both sides of the ball.  Young OCs. Weekly meetings with the owner.  Rhule might of needed that.  It killed Frank from being able to be a Fox/Ron and have us be respectable.  If you got 30 identities you got none.  Rebuild.  Win now.  Old school.  New school.  Check in with Tepper.  What was the Frank era?  No one ever knew. 

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, recceice said:

And they won’t be getting the job.. 

But please help me out .. Show me a “reputable” football analyst that’s saying BY is the biggest problem in Carolina.. 

I haven’t seen 1 yet..

I think you are confusing tv analysts with league opinions. They might be the same, they might be different, you have no idea.

24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't  think the message is to not try to win.  I think it's acknowledging that it is an uphill battle from the start. It's not saying playoffs or bust. It's says let's see what they are made of and who is part of the plans going forward. If you base it on last seasons results that means only a handful of players. Of course there will need to be a lot more of those types to include.  But it's hard to say if there's any being overlooked because everything was complete ass with this team. There's not enough talent here or that can be added in one offseason to expect a winning season. This can't is just not good enough to seriously compete. But the team will never admit that in public. It's just a given that will go unstated or unacknowledged by the team. As fans you should know this also. If not you will be severely disappointed. 

He was saying that they have to play Young, I said competition is best. Saying you must play Young when he can't win the job is saying play Young over trying to win. It's a 2 win team so ofcouse all of it is uphill from here. If you would have asked anyone if Reich would be fired midseason year 1 no one would have said yes. If you are saying play Young in all 24 regardless then you are asking, baring a miracle I guess, them to lose. That is tanking and a terrible way for a new crew to start. He will play and get a shot but if it's still 'all in on Bryce' and not 'give Bryce a chance' there is a solid chance it ends the same way. 

The Bucs went to the playoffs with Baker. It really doesn't take much more to win more, at least in the NFCS. People are already afraid of missing that #1 pick in 25 and if that was the top priority they should just keep Tabor as the HC for another year and hire a GM to hire the new HC in 25.

I am on a board for Panthers fans, disappointment all we get now. It's easier to just say the people hiring everyone are really bad at it so why expect anything to change now? 

Edited by Waldo

48 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Fans have buyers remorse because he looked bad and this was one of the worst seasons by a team in the 21st century.  That I get.  Fact is, the next coach & GM has Bryce on the roster. He's here for 2024.  

Combined with this past season's film, the new staff will have an entire offseason, preseason, and probably 8-10 games before they know what they have with Bryce.  That's what we're working with here.  We'll find out a lot of things this next season and where the future lies. 

It's absolutely unrealistic to expect us to trade for Fields.  It's also unrealistic to expect a QB at 33 or even maybe 65.  Have we not learned about forcing QBs without building a team?  We're not immediately getting rid or somehow trading Bryce, and we're not drafting a QB high.  It's just not happening.

HOWEVER, don't forget the new GM will be coming from another team's scouting dept., with their own perspective on Bryce through another lens.   Therefore, it's also unrealistic to expect us to force a new regime to trot out Bryce without getting a sound QB room that suits their standards around him.  He regressed throughout the season sans 1 half game performance against GB.  

It should not deter them from bringing Dalton back or signing a new vet.  It should also not deter them from taking a mid-round chance on a Cameron Ward type as backup who could get thrust into games.  A scenario like that is what we're dealing with if any.

33 has to go towards an stud o-lineman or a we. I’d love Ward later in the draft.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

As we sit here today on 1/9 my over under for 2024 is 5 wins.  Sure that could change but a lot and I mean a lot of poo has to happen and go right for us

You are more confident than I on the win loss total.  I'm going to wait until training camp before I decide how many wins are possible. Although I was wrong about last seasons possible wins I'll try again this year. Eventually I'll get it right. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I've never seen one team get so much wrong in one offseason. I do not think anyone saw everything going so catastrophically wrong for this team the way it did. I know I didn't.  I knew we weren't winning much but I never saw it being as bad as it was. 

I did freak out after the first preseason game when I saw how terrible our offensive line looked and was laughed at here lol.  I hoped it was just an overreaction and that coaches would make the difference.  

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Tepper is almost an unpredictable morphing figuring at this point.  Overcorrecting.  I do think Tepper "tries" to do good.  I think his hires have been very different because he doesn't actually have a vision of how to win or what he wants his team to be.....and I think his approach with each coach was very different.  But he almost had it backwards.  Rhule needed a lot of help to start things off and had none.  Not saying it needed to be Tepper.  But Rhule needed NFL help.  It came late essentially to do deal with the end of days of the Rhule era.  But the Rhule era was too light on NFL knowledge.  Newb GM.  Newb HC.  Newb NFL DC. Newb NFL OC.  

Then Frank didn't need help and Tepper went overboard ramming it down Frank's throat.  Old HCs overseeing both sides of the ball.  Young OCs. Weekly meetings with the owner.  Rhule might of needed that.  It killed Frank from being able to be a Fox/Ron and have us be respectable.  If you got 30 identities you got none.  Rebuild.  Win now.  Old school.  New school.  Check in with Tepper.  What was the Frank era?  No one ever knew. 

Frank never had a chance.  For one thing he was too cooperative in aspects where he should have stood firm. But the power dynamics was what did everyone in. It turns out that an "all-star" still needs a leader with a vision. Not complete collaboration that leaves everyone wondering what that hell is going on and who is actually in charge. 

12 minutes ago, NAS said:

I did freak out after the first preseason game when I saw how terrible our offensive line looked and was laughed at here lol.  I hoped it was just an overreaction and that coaches would make the difference.  

I knew we were in for it when Youngs arm strength or lackthereof was on full display.  I knew it wasnt on par with the greats but it was pretty breathtaking how bad it was.  In hindsight we should have known we were in for a long year

23 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He was saying that they have to play Young, I said competition is best. Saying you must play Young when he can't win the job is saying play Young over trying to win. It's a 2 win team so ofcouse all of it is uphill from here. If you would have asked anyone if Reich would be fired midseason year 1 no one would have said yes. If you are saying play Young in all 24 regardless then you are asking, baring a miracle I guess, them to lose. That is tanking and a terrible way for a new crew to start. He will play and get a shot but if it's still 'all in on Bryce' and not 'give Bryce a chance' there is a solid chance it ends the same way. 

The Bucs went to the playoffs with Baker. It really doesn't take much more to win more, at least in the NFCS. People are already afraid of missing that #1 pick in 25 and if that was the top priority they should just keep Tabor as the HC for another year and hire a GM to hire the new HC in 25.

I am on a board for Panthers fans, disappointment all we get now. It's easier to just say the people hiring everyone are really bad at it so why expect anything to change now? 

I do not think they have to play him if he's not earning it. They will give him the 1st shot at it solely on investment alone. In other words last season is not laid on his shoulders as the sole reason it failed. Which would be a fair statement. Whether fans like it or not Bryce Young is the starting qb for the Carolina Panthers in 2024, barring his untimely demise or a trade. Neither of which seem like a realistic possibility. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Bryce is probably guaranteed a roster spot next year because we’re tanking, but after that nothing is guaranteed. Frankly, his performance was historically bad and it’s unlikely he’ll come back from that

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

The day Tepper is absolutely convinced he will no longer be able to make a playoff run with Young at the QB position......then Young will be gone in a heartbeat.

Until then his ego says he holds on to Young. 

Yeah, I think it’s sort of overlooked how quick and easy Tepper could be done with Bryce.  Tepper cuts his losses quicker than a lot of owners.  I mean he is putting himself in position to have to do it….but he still does it. 

End of the day QB play is just that.  What you gave up for a player doesn’t really matter.  And it’s why Mr Irrelevant might play in the Super Bowl this year and the last guy who cost as much as Bryce is somewhere on a bench with another team.  The gotta give him 2-3 years just because mantra just ain’t something I am buy in todays NFL.  

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

End of the day QB play is just that.  What you gave up for a player doesn’t really matter.  And it’s why Mr Irrelevant might play in the Super Bowl this year and the last guy who cost as much as Bryce is somewhere on a bench with another team.  The gotta give him 2-3 years just because mantra just ain’t something I buy in todays NFL.  

The only trade that was close to being as bad as Panthers was 49ers trade for Lance, but Lynch and Shannahan kept their jobs by finding Mr. Irrelevant.  Also, they still built an amazingly strong roster on both sides of the ball so it can be done.