• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Only one year of coordinator experience"

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We can also do a list of coaches with HC experience that failed starting with our most recent one…

I mean none of it matters.  Canalas has to turn us around.  What other people did or didn’t do is irrelevant 

It is fact that Canalas has never been a head coach.  He doesn’t even know he can do it yet.  

Edited by Shocker

I'm hopeful for Canales but far from sold. I honestly don't know if he did a good job or if a talented but very streaky QB just got hot. Baker had 5 300+ yard games this season. 4 of them came after mid-December. Half of his TDs came after mid-December. Was it because Canales did a great job adjusting or did Baker just get on a hot streak? I honestly have no idea.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm hopeful for Canales but far from sold. I honestly don't know if he did a good job or if a talented but very streaky QB just got hot. Baker had 5 300+ yard games this season. 4 of them came after mid-December. Half of his TDs came after mid-December. Was it because Canales did a great job adjusting or did Baker just get on a hot streak? I honestly have no idea.

What about Geno the prior year?

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s wild how coaching candidates get credit for these things when no one knows what he did to influence the situation.  Maybe Geno got healthy and worked his ass off?  Maybe Canalas was the sole reason.  We don’t know.

Canalas seems like a smart young coach with an even temperament.  The rest is TBD

Edited by Shocker

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

It’s wild how coaching candidates get credit for these things when no one knows what he did to influence the situation.  Maybe Geno got healthy and worked his ass off?  Maybe Canalas was the sole reason.  We don’t know.

Canalas seems like a smart young coach with an even temperament.  The rest is TBD

Oh I agree but if success follows the candidate that’s a good sign. Russ’s best year was when Canales was his QB coach. Geno’s comeback year had Canales as the QB coach, Baker’s recent career year featured Canales as OC. 

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I agree but if success follows the candidate that’s a good sign. Russ’s best year was when Canales was his QB coach. Geno’s comeback year had Canales as the QB coach, Baker’s recent career year featured Canales as OC. 

am i detecting a trend?

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Are we supposed to pretend that Ken Dorsey is a great coach because Cam had his best seasons with him as the QB coach?

Line I said, I'm hopeful for Canales but it's based more on sheer hope than it is any empirical evidence as would be the case for any one year coordinator. There's just not a lot of data to go off of when he was in a role to have some real control.

• Beer 2

I'm not upset with the hire. The reality is that this was the best we were ever gonna do. Any candidates with other legit options were gonna choose another option. The state of Tepper's organization leaves us hoping for the equivalent of bailing a mid to late round pick that everyone else has passed on.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Are we supposed to pretend that Ken Dorsey is a great coach because Cam had his best seasons with him as the QB coach?

Line I said, I'm hopeful for Canales but it's based more on sheer hope than it is any empirical evidence as would be the case for any one year coordinator. There's just not a lot of data to go off of when he was in a role to have some real control.

Cam’s success under Dorsey vs Geno’s jump in his first year with Canales isn’t really close to the same thing at all. Geno was written off as a bust and received “comeback player of the year.” The same award Baker is a finalist for this year. 
You can dismiss success for any candidate, but it is a good sign that it at least appears to follow this candidate. Hopefully it will translate at the next level. Nothing is a guarantee but I’m at least intrigued. Pretty solid candidate considering where we are as a franchise. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I get the point you are attempting to make. This an egregious comparison though.

Geno Smith is...Geno Smith. Baker Mayfield? We already know.

These guys can't hold prime Cam Newton's jockstrap.

Winning playoff games with them is at minimum impressive. It does not mean he will be successful though and I agree with that. What will make him successful is if Dan Morgan is the talent evaluator we are hoping him to be.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1