• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pass catching RB

PanthersGTI

Based on what Im seeing our new offense is going to rely on a lot if quick passes to the RB to fight pressure. We need one of those. Who is the the best most reasonable option this year? Kid from Oregon? NH? Give me some names to start looking into!

Blackshear, Miles and Chubba can handle some passes going they way. What I prefer is a bigger back we can rely on in short yardage. A bell cow with Chubba and Miles as change of pace guys. Along with that the oline needs to open some gaps.  

• Pie 2

13 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

Blackshear, Miles and Chubba can handle some passes going they way. What I prefer is a bigger back we can rely on in short yardage. A bell cow with Chubba and Miles as change of pace guys. Along with that the oline needs to open some gaps.  

Exactly.  Sanders already fills the role of 3rd down back.  Blackshear may not be back, btw.  Chuba is a solid backup who is a nice change of pace player.  I want a pound-the-rock type of back.  That way we have the gambit covered on RBs between the three of them. 

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Exactly.  Sanders already fills the role of 3rd down back.  Blackshear may not be back, btw.  Chuba is a solid backup who is a nice change of pace player.  I want a pound-the-rock type of back.  That way we have the gambit covered on RBs between the three of them. 

While I get that, I am speculating that they are going to want an RB who can catch out there on most downs. Seems like how Canales runs his offense. White had 70 catches for almost 600 yards while also rushing for almost 1K. That ability is going to be key to whoever our #1 RB is, who I don't think is on the roster. Chuba or Blackshear will be spelling the new RB1. At least that how it seems to me. 

Just now, PanthersGTI said:

While I get that, I am speculating that they are going to want an RB who can catch out there on most downs. Seems like how Canales runs his offense. White had 70 catches for almost 600 yards while also rushing for almost 1K. That ability is going to be key to whoever our #1 RB is, who I don't think is on the roster. Chuba or Blackshear will be spelling the new RB1. At least that how it seems to me. 

What will Sanders be doing?  Dude is NOT an early down back.  That's what we really need.  It's not mutually exclusive we have to get one OR the other, we could get both.  However, I am asserting that an early down back is more of a need, IMO.

This is not a top heavy RB class but it's deep. I don't see 1st round guy. 

WR I think we need two. RB one bigger guy to pound the rock on early downs. TE I like Tremble but we need someone to replace Hurst and Thomas. That's 4 picks in a depleted collection this year. So one WR needs to come from FA. That's three targets in the draft at skil. 

• Flames 1

I’m not against taking a RB but I hope it’s not until the 5th round. We have too many other holes to address. Chubba is still under contract next year and Sanders’ contract makes it hard to walk away from until after next year. But have your #3 back start getting reps and learning the offense for the rebuild isn’t the worst thing.

10 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

I’m not against taking a RB but I hope it’s not until the 5th round. We have too many other holes to address. Chubba is still under contract next year and Sanders’ contract makes it hard to walk away from until after next year. But have your #3 back start getting reps and learning the offense for the rebuild isn’t the worst thing.

I agree, wait until day 3, but you don't shy away form upgrades because of other guys contracts.

Dylan Laube out of New Hampshire just showed out as one of the standouts in the senior bowl practices.  He has great hands and tons of production in both the passing and running games the last 2 years.

Kentucky's Ray Davis is an older prospect but he showed off his hands at the senior bowl too to back up what he's done in the SEC the last 2 years too.

...Both could likely be had day 3.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, Untouchable said:

Dylan Laube out of New Hampshire just showed out as one of the standouts in the senior bowl practices.  He has great hands and tons of production in both the passing and running games the last 2 years.

Kentucky's Ray Davis is an older prospect but he showed off his hands at the senior bowl too to back up what he's done in the SEC the last 2 years too.

...Both could likely be had day 3.

I would definitely take a day 3 flyer on Laube.  Guy catches everything out of the backfield and has a knack for finding open space.