• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How about Steve Wilkes?

WarHeel

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

No one is blaming Wilks. He just didn’t perform some miracle nor does this make him a great HC candidate. He let his loaded DL do work and did drop back coverages. That worked great. KC just adjusted to it in the end. It is what it is. 

Yeah, I'm not stumping for Wilks as a HC but he's a good DC. Not elite, but good. I put significantly more blame on Shanny for that L than Wilks.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

at this point Reid is just trolling DC’s

you’d think Wilks would be prepared for this

Honestly, teams run the same basic concepts over and over again. They just throw in small tweaks to throw the D off. Slight formation variances, maybe a different guy in motion. It's the same concepts at the end of the day but just enough variations to disguise it. That's where Shula dropped the ball in SB50. He changed NOTHING so the Broncos basically knew our plays before the ball was snapped and said as much after the game.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, teams run the same basic concepts over and over again. They just throw in small tweaks to throw the D off. Slight formation variances, maybe a different guy in motion. It's the same concepts at the end of the day but just enough variations to disguise it. That's where Shula dropped the ball in SB50. He changed NOTHING so the Broncos basically knew our plays before the ball was snapped and said as much after the game.

Agreed

but this play was also at the most crucial time of the game like last year, not like it was run randomly in the second quarter

58 minutes ago, frankw said:

Some just like him because CMC plays for them.

Some are dug in on Purdy because they like his "Rudy" story of ascendance from a QB not in the usual physical mold who can show QB's like Lamar Jackson who don't actually deserve MVP how to play the position. Call it what it is.

What are we calling it?

40 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Spag also called a great game and is a terrible HC. Being a good DC doesn’t make you a good HC. He mostly called drop back coverages and let his loaded front 4 handle the pressure. KC adjusted in the end and SF did not. That’s all part of it. 

I believe he’d actually make a better HC simply based off his leadership ability. 

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Always love it when folks reach for narratives to fit their biases. And it's usually both camps pointing at each other like the Spiderman meme.

Yeah I’m not sure what narrative I was trying to spin by saying some people admire humble athletes who have an underdog story. I’m not even a Purdy fan but his story is essentially Hollywood. 

56 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Wilks called a good game in the first 2.5 quarters.  Then he started playing soft zone and Mahomes picked them apart.   Changed it to heavy cover 0 and got picked apart there. 

Which, if we're honest, is pretty much vintage Wilks.

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really just don't understand folks blaming Wilks. They held KC to 19 points in regulation. The Niners didn't score enough points.

The mistake is only blaming one and not both.

Wilks did what he frequently does; got conservative in the latter part of the game and allowed the other team back in.

Shanahan called a poor game putting it on the back of Purdy rather than McCaffrey.

Hell, even special teams had miscues.

Nobody comes out of this looking like a hero.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which, if we're honest, is pretty much vintage Wilks.

Didn’t Shanahan call a timeout to “overrule” Wilks on one play? At least that’s what I thought I heard Nantz say. But yeah, that last drive in OT was vintage Wilks and why I didn’t want him as HC. Great guy, aggressive scheme, but he doesn’t show up when the game is on the line. Kind of like, Ron. 

• Pie 1