• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are some underrated vacation spots outside the US?

CamWhoaaCam

Its almost that season for me. Tired of the cold ready to go to some warm weather climates enjoy some 70/80 degree weather. I do most of my vacations before it gets really hot.

I have been to Jamaica/Costa Rica/Turks and Caicos.

What are some underrated vacation spots I should visit outside of the US?

Over the past 20-25 years we've been splitting our time between Mexico and Aruba, where we usually travel in Feb-Mar. Up until a couple years ago it was almost exclusively Mexico for about an 8-year run after we bought a house down there. The last 2 years we've been back to Aruba and we're headed to Punta Cana in the Dominican in a couple weeks.

I really like Aruba, although it can get pretty pricey if you decide to eat out every night. We usually rent a house and, despite the well-stocked grocery stores, we still eat out every night and a good dinner will easily run you $250/couple. But there are some great restaurants... Sol y Mar, El Gaucho, Madame Jeanette's, Aqua, LG Smiths, etc.

I've been to Curacao, although it was close to 38 years ago. Also very nice.

Edited by Anybodyhome

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Over the past 20-25 years we've been splitting our time between Mexico and Aruba, where we usually travel in Feb-Mar. Up until a couple years ago it was almost exclusively Mexico for about an 8-year run after we bought a house down there. The last 2 years we've been back to Aruba and we're headed to Punta Cana in the Dominican in a couple weeks.

I really like Aruba, although it can get pretty pricey if you decide to eat out every night. We usually rent a house and, despite the well-stocked grocery stores, we still eat out every night and a good dinner will easily run you $250/couple. But there are some great restaurants... Sol y Mar, El Gaucho, Madame Jeanette's, Aqua, LG Smiths, etc.

I've been to Curacao, although it was close to 38 years ago. Also very nice.

I hear so many crazy stories about Mexico that I'm no longer considering that as a vacation spot lol.

Aruba sounds like my kind of vacation. That's what we travel for is the eating and sight seeing. We usually don't buy much because a lot of these vacation spots are pretty expensive. I spend most of my money on the food.

15 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I hear so many crazy stories about Mexico that I'm no longer considering that as a vacation spot lol.

And most of those are stupid people making stupid decisions. Yes, there are parts of Mexico, mostly northern closer to the US border that are run by the cartels and there are dangerous parts of any major city in any country in the world. But, the cartels and the government both know that a huge part of Mexico's economy depends on tourism. Cancun and the surroundings areas are very safe; Mazatlan, Acapulco and Cabo are safe.

We owned a place in Punta Sam for a bit, about 8 miles north outside Cancun. But we soon found a place in Tulum we fell in love with. Huge ex-pat community in Tulum and everything is walkable. I felt safer walking around the street markets and hanging out with people in Tulum than I do walking around downtown in the closest city I live near now in NC.

But, if you really want an adventure, both New Zealand and Australia are far and away the coolest places I've ever been. The Syechelles are close, and I'd put Bali behind The Seychelles.

• Pie 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:28 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

Its almost that season for me. Tired of the cold ready to go to some warm weather climates enjoy some 70/80 degree weather. I do most of my vacations before it gets really hot.

I have been to Jamaica/Costa Rica/Turks and Caicos.

What are some underrated vacation spots I should visit outside of the US?

US Virgin Islands - no passport required
Barcelona

On 2/16/2024 at 9:38 AM, Anybodyhome said:

And most of those are stupid people making stupid decisions. Yes, there are parts of Mexico, mostly northern closer to the US border that are run by the cartels and there are dangerous parts of any major city in any country in the world. But, the cartels and the government both know that a huge part of Mexico's economy depends on tourism. Cancun and the surroundings areas are very safe; Mazatlan, Acapulco and Cabo are safe.

We owned a place in Punta Sam for a bit, about 8 miles north outside Cancun. But we soon found a place in Tulum we fell in love with. Huge ex-pat community in Tulum and everything is walkable. I felt safer walking around the street markets and hanging out with people in Tulum than I do walking around downtown in the closest city I live near now in NC.

But, if you really want an adventure, both New Zealand and Australia are far and away the coolest places I've ever been. The Syechelles are close, and I'd put Bali behind The Seychelles.

Tulum new airport opening to international flights this spring.  Going to make it a hot spot for tourist.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tropical spots don't interest me in the least.   Lived in Hawaii, and visited several other tropical places when I was in the Navy and imo, a beach is a beach is a beach.

My favorite place over the years that I have visited is Italy.  The history, the food, and the culture are wonderful.  I would love to visit Greece.  And maybe China, although the government there gives me pause.  

• Pie 1