• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2024 Panthers Mock Draft

Verge

15 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Young was never not going to be the first QB taken. 

I still don't believe Huston wanted Young. Huston was taking the 1st qb to fall to them. The Bears only had interest from Huston and us for the 1st pick. If we hadn't been snooping around I bet Huston stays put at 2 and takes whoever they wanted. The Bears surely were not drafting a qb. So either Young or Stroud are taken 1st at 2 and the other goes to Indy. We most likely get Richardson, but it's possible we still have Young on the board at 9.  We will never know now of course. 

17 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Sorry, but yes, they can see more lanes and over OL. Picture a 6’5” OL. When he is engaged with a defender, maybe you can’t see over their heads but the shoulders are 3 times the width of the head so I do think they would get better views even with OL partially blocking them. I’ll also point to the first game when Young threw right at Bates. I can remember which of the two it was but from the replay it sure seemed like Bozeman and the DT where right in the path and Young didn’t see Bates at all.

How many sacks did we have because Young had no chance to find an alternate target? I’m not sure I would call it as big an issue as arm strength but not having clean ass Bama pockets made his lack of vision a bigger issue than college. His off platform plays were supposed to be a big strength but we barely saw any of that.

You can pull picks from any QB's film where they miss a defender because a lineman is blocking their line of site.

Also the lack of off platform plays was by Reich's design, which is why Stroud would have looked better in his offense. We were damn near last in the league in terms of PA and RPO before Frank was canned, and once he was, we implemented more with Brown calling the plays.

Like I have said time and time again, I'm willing to give Young and the linemen some grace from last season. Frank's offense did no one any favors whatsoever. We'll see how they look with Cannales at the helm. If everyone still looks completely lost and garbage, blow it all up and take the Best QB available in 2025.

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why would this off season be any different then what hes had since 8th grade.  The kid is who he is at this point.  The mechanics arent changing

His height isn't changing. The mechanics can definitely be worked on.

Again the issue is Bryce himself. He needs to be challenged hard. I honestly get Sam Darnold vibes from him as far as how people in college have praised him until the NFL put him through the meat grinder and now he's culture shocked. He's either going to put in some work or he's going to be another clock in clock out QB like Darnold. Simple as that for me.

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I still don't believe Huston wanted Young. Huston was taking the 1st qb to fall to them. The Bears only had interest from Huston and us for the 1st pick. If we hadn't been snooping around I bet Huston stays put at 2 and takes whoever they wanted. The Bears surely were not drafting a qb. So either Young or Stroud are taken 1st at 2 and the other goes to Indy. We most likely get Richardson, but it's possible we still have Young on the board at 9.  We will never know now of course. 

if houston wanted young they would have young.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

His height isn't changing. The mechanics can definitely be worked on.

Again the issue is Bryce himself. He needs to be challenged hard. I honestly get Sam Darnold vibes from him as far as how people in college have praised him until the NFL put him through the meat grinder and now he's culture shocked. He's either going to put in some work or he's going to be another clock in clock out QB like Darnold. Simple as that for me.

He has had elite coaching since high school, he has had elite qb coaches since 8th grade.  He went to the biggest football factory in the ncaa with more elite coaching.  Why now would he start to work on his mechanics.  I just dont see it, if none of the above could fix it and nfl coaches couldnt do it why now would the light go off in his head?

Strouds mechanics are absolutely flawless and have been since tosu

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He has had elite coaching since high school, he has had elite qb coaches since 8th grade.  He went to the biggest football factory in the ncaa with more elite coaching.  Why now would he start to work on his mechanics.  I just dont see it, if none of the above could fix it and nfl coaches couldnt do it why now would the light go off in his head?

Strouds mechanics are absolutely flawless and have been since tosu

Well in total fairness I wouldn't even categorize what we gave him as NFL coaching. Just straight garbage.

I've already said he's been coddled I don't know what more I can do to acknowledge he needs to nut up as a top pick and fully reset everything. Get people out of your ear telling you what you want to hear and get in the weight room.

It will either happen or we will be drafting a QB next year like we've been talking about for weeks now. We'll see.

• Pie 2

45 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

if houston wanted young they would have young.

I keep thinking back to the original plan right after Reich was hired.  They admitted that they had a deal worked out to trade up to 3. Who's idea was it? Who knows.

Then shortly after that rumor was it was now with Chicago for the 2nd pick who supposedly was going to trade with Huston for the number 1 pick. Then turn around and trade is for the 2nd pick.

Then when Huston didn't want to be played like that Chicago suckered us into trading up.

My guess is that is when the qb decision was taken out of Frank's hands by Fitterer. I also think that is why it turned in a 12 person selection committee instead of getting the 2nd choice of whoever they had their mind on in the first place. 

That's why it took so long for Frank to surrender to the masses of people telling him to go with the popular choice among the staff and everyone else.  It's also why he dgaf about anything else after that.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthero said:

just relaying what it said, i dont see the comparison either but if the guy was hyped up enough among the professionals i can see the fear of not getting him unless you paid a handsome price tag. 

I know. I was just responding to NFL.com saying Brees was Bryce’s comparison. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I keep thinking back to the original plan right after Reich was hired.  They admitted that they had a deal worked out to trade up to 3. Who's idea was it? Who knows.

Then shortly after that rumor was it was now with Chicago for the 2nd pick who supposedly was going to trade with Huston for the number 1 pick. Then turn around and trade is for the 2nd pick.

Then when Huston didn't want to be played like that Chicago suckered us into trading up.

My guess is that is when the qb decision was taken out of Frank's hands by Fitterer. I also think that is why it turned in a 12 person selection committee instead of getting the 2nd choice of whoever they had their mind on in the first place. 

That's why it took so long for Frank to surrender to the masses of people telling him to go with the popular choice among the staff and everyone else.  It's also why he dgaf about anything else after that.

should have stayed at 9

I think texans were seriously not sold on young so they stayed to see how the draft played out.  I think the bears would have preferred to go to 2 and then back to 9 to get even more capital but I think fitt and co took good care of them all things considered

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

should have stayed at 9

I think texans were seriously not sold on young so they stayed to see how the draft played out.  I think the bears would have preferred to go to 2 and then back to 9 to get even more capital but I think fitt and co took good care of them all things considered

That's what the Bears wanted. It was reported somewhere.  But Huston wasn't having it. So Fitterer and Tepper decided to go all in. After that Frank had to justify not taking Young.  Who were they targeting at pick 3 we will never know.  It would have been the 2nd qb off the board that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

We didn't play the odds---make the obvious move, which was to wait---and we've burned ourselves in several respects. It's going to cost us at least one to three years to get back on track.

The smartest man in the room was impatient… and it set this franchise back several years.

My last word on Burns. If the team signs him, whether it's a good deal or not, they better get Brown extended asap and draft the best DL player they have a chance at. Until then you will continue to see they same thing out of Burns.  The defensive tackles will have to serve the qb up to him by pushing the pocket back in his face and forcing the qb out of the pocket. If they don't do that it will be wasted money. 

Edited by Jon Snow