• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tim Donnelly on Trent Brown, Evans, Burns & Motown

top dawg

I did like the idea of Trent Brown making two positions better.  That was an interesting idea.

As far shipping off Burns...  I think we need to keep our really good football players.  That's what it comes down to.  I'd put a transition tag on Burns.  Let him test the market, and we can workout the compensation with a team willing to sign him to big money.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-explainer-vital-information-on-franchise-tags-contract-term

As I read through that, I think the hangup is in the guaranteed money.  The rest of it is all made up money.

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

There is no way in hell the Lions are giving up a 1st, day 3 pick, and Williams for Burns. Can't imagine there is a team stupid enough to offer anything similar to that trade also.

I honestly don't think any team would offer us a 1st round pick now for Burns. If Sweat, who is a significantly better DE/OLB, was gotten for a 2nd, I think a 2nd is probably the best we will get for Burns now.

You're one of those underestimating Burns based upon all the things I've heard about his perceived value outside of the Carolina Huddle. Like I said, we'll see what happens.

A second for Burns is ludicrous.

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

You're one of those underestimating Burns based upon all the things I've heard about his perceived value outside of the Carolina Huddle. Like I said, we'll see what happens.

Why would a team give more than what Sweat got? He’s not going to sign for less than 25M/yr if not more. Why would a team pay him that and give up a first? Since he won’t agree to a deal, there is no trade and the Panthers pay him 22M in a year when that is the last thing they need to do. My perception of his value has been pretty spot on since the turning down the deal of a lifetime fiasco. 

But if they do, please trade him to BAL. Id love to be able to watch the Steelers run straight at him 30 times a game. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I loved Jameson Williams as a prospect but he is getting vastly overrated in these scenarios, he is not worthy of a first round selection at this point on his own, I could see the Lions getting a third rounder for him at best 

17 hours ago, csx said:

Because trading more than a 1st and paying premier player salary for a one dimensional pass rusher who isn't premier isn't smart for any team.

He's been here long enough to see he doesn't really move the needle 

On top of that if you've seen him at camp he sits off to himself doing the drills alone whenever possible. He needs not a leader.

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd take a 1st for Burns on a heartbeat. I don't want to pay him huge money but letting him walk for a 3rdbround comp pick would suck too and we'd have to handicap ourselves in pursuing other free agents to protect that pick. Double whammy of suck. With that said, I'd rather let him walk than cripple ourselves with handing him a massive deal. So I'm basically down to tag and trade him for anything more than a late round comp pick.

Get the first and use half the money he wanted on Huff from the Jets same player as Burns IMO 

9 hours ago, top dawg said:

Outside of the Huddle the thought is 1 first

45 minutes ago, csx said:

Not buying it. Honestly, if teams are offering a first for him, I have to imagine our front office would accept that in a heartbeat.

Our front office knows he is not part of the future and want to get rid of him as soon as possible. I honestly think they would say yes to the first team that offered them a first rounder. I think a 2nd rounder from a top tier team is the best we can get, so I assume a pick between 50-60

21 minutes ago, csx said:

What you're saying has really yet to be established. Teams know what we turned down before, so they obviously know that we're not going to give him away. Once Burns is actually tagged, then we may begin to hear what an actual market looks like.

Below is recent thinking:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/panthers-trade-proposal-brian-burns-heads-to-baltimore-for-picks-and-david-ojabo

I've seen prospective trade partners mentioned, including Detroit, Houston, Arizona, Cincinnati and of course Baltimore. 

5 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Not buying it. Honestly, if teams are offering a first for him, I have to imagine our front office would accept that in a heartbeat.

Our front office knows he is not part of the future and want to get rid of him as soon as possible. I honestly think they would say yes to the first team that offered them a first rounder. I think a 2nd rounder from a top tier team is the best we can get, so I assume a pick between 50-60

You guys, keep smoking that good stuff...the beach bum smoking GIF by NEON

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

You guys keep smoking that good stuff...the beach bum smoking GIF by NEON

If a team wants to give us a 1st, 3rd, and an above average player, I'll be giddy. I just have to imagine teams realize he is a big minus in the run game and even when he does win his pass rush battle, misses the sack on the QB half of the time. I hope I'm wrong and teams give us a ton for him, but I assume other teams don't have fitterer as their GM...

1 minute ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

If a team wants to give us a 1st, 3rd, and an above average player, I'll be giddy. I just have to imagine teams realize he is a big minus in the run game and even when he does win his pass rush battle, misses the sack on the QB half of the time. I hope I'm wrong and teams give us a ton for him, but I assume other teams don't have fitterer as their GM...

I don't think we'll get a "ton," but I'll be shocked (and probably pissed) if it's simply a first. Good pass rushers don't just grow on trees. I love sacks, but those pressures mean something as well. A Burns-Hutchinson combo, for instance, has the potential to be very very nasty. 

Here is what they will do: trade him on someone else’s terms, taking pennies on the dollar.

Add that to what they paid for Young so far because that is where they will dump the returns. 

You are gonna have Moore, the top pick this year, the number 9 pick last year, two seconds, and the proceeds from Burns.