• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade our first again?

Brokenbad

If someone you didnt think we could grab but really wanted was on the board at the begining of the second round, for instance Bay Bay Thomas, would you trade next years first for him?

No, I wouldn't! We need to break that cycle at some point and now is a good time. We obvisouly are going with Moore at QB, so I'd draft a WR with our 1st pick and a QB with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Unless a worthly FA QB falls in our laps.

There will be a draft next year and the lockout and any work stoppage won't last past the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season. So we will need those picks next year as much as this year. And honestly you give up more than you receive when you give up multiple picks for a single one. I would rather see us trade down for more picks than up for less picks. We only have 5 picks to begin with. Is there really one player that will make or break us such that we have to trade up to get them? I don't think so.

So would I do it? No, I would be looking to trade down to get an extra 3rd and our fifth back for our second rounder rather than moving up. But who knows what our front office will do this year.

This draft is so heavy in talent due to the possible work stoppage, and the new CBA probably will end up having a rookie salery cap. That's why so many underclassmen decided to come out now. That would lead me to believe that next years draft won't be as deep as the last few have.

That being said, if there is an impact player they desire, slipping in the draft (there is bound to be a lot of that happening in this draft also), then I can see them trading away next years first to move up and grab a player. I'd be perfectly fine with it, as long as it wasn't a QB.

This draft is so heavy in talent due to the possible work stoppage, and the new CBA probably will end up having a rookie salery cap. That's why so many underclassmen decided to come out now. That would lead me to believe that next years draft won't be as deep as the last few have.

That being said, if there is an impact player they desire, slipping in the draft (there is bound to be a lot of that happening in this draft also), then I can see them trading away next years first to move up and grab a player. I'd be perfectly fine with it, as long as it wasn't a QB.

I agree with this. Hopefully its WR with the first pick and then bpa between dt, de, lb, and db.

There will be serviceable WR when it our turn to pick the first player, so we don't need to trade again. As I said many times before, the WR is what we need the most first along with a DE or DT next. I don't think we need a QB in the draft, unless it a late round pick. Or maybe we can get one that isn't drafted like Moore, Jake, Hoover, etc. went through.

There will be a draft next year and the lockout and any work stoppage won't last past the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season. So we will need those picks next year as much as this year. And honestly you give up more than you receive when you give up multiple picks for a single one. I would rather see us trade down for more picks than up for less picks. We only have 5 picks to begin with. Is there really one player that will make or break us such that we have to trade up to get them? I don't think so.

So would I do it? No, I would be looking to trade down to get an extra 3rd and our fifth back for our second rounder rather than moving up. But who knows what our front office will do this year.

I don't think we'll package our 1st with any picks from this year. I think we're just going to trade it straight up for a high 2nd or a lower 2nd and a late rounder.

I would like to trade down as well. So much good value in the 3rd.

So my plan is to trade the 2011 1st for a guy we like that falls, then trade down to get as much talent as we can out of the 3rd and the 4th.

answered my question... I was going to ask if there wasn't a draft, how much is our 1st really worth? but it would make sense to get rid of it on the chance that there was no draft..

if there will be a draft regardless, I hope we don't trade it away again... we need to gain more picks than giving away..

I still strongly believe we'll trade our 1st in 2011. what glaring holes do you guys see that we can't get out of this draft? besides QB, but there won't be a good QB at the bottom of the 1st round in 2011. and if they're sold on Matt Moore, trading that 1st seems even more logical. trade the 1st, get a second 2nd round pick, and possibly a later round pick, say 4th or 5th. get your WR and DT in the 2nd, and pick up a developmental QB with the other later round pick you'll get from the trade! problem solved. end of story, let's get back to reality...

No. You already lose too much value trading away future 1st rounders. You'll lose even more this year because teams won't offer you a decent deal. Not with a potentially weak 2011 class and a future lockout looming that might mean not seeing that player play till 2012.

I'd rather do the opposite. Make it through this year, then get back to square one with all our picks in 2011 and then start trading current picks for future ones.

Think if every year you trade a current 3rd for a future 2nd and do that every year. Except for the first year, every draft instead of a 1st 2nd and 3rd you'll have a 1st and two 2nds.

Hell you could even trade a mid 1st down to a late 1st, get an extra 3rd and trade that. Three 2nd round picks each year. The Patriots do this all the time and it's one reason why they've been so consistent and have the depth they do.

I have no problem with trading the first round pick for a star player, if we have a need for that player. None at all. First round picks mean lots of money, with lots of associated risks.

People on here value 1st round picks way too much. This is the year to have mulitple picks in the 2nd IMO. Lots of 1st round talent will fall to the 2nd due to the depth of this class. And the money and risk is much less in the 2nd. I say we trade next years 1st for a 2nd and 4th (also some starting talent here) again.

If we get a guy like D. Thomas with the 2nd and Torrell Troup or AJ Edds with our 4th we will come away with 2 (IMO) immediate starters for 1 1st and they will be far cheaper. Would anyone of you seriously not take that?

Archived