• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There are a lot of edge/olb type guys that could be available at 33 or 39

44 minutes ago, Panthero said:

I guess the logic is every defense has a weakness, having different types of wrs allow you to take advantage of that. But there has been a tide change to just wrs that can accelerate and get open and then YAC. So maybe my model is dated. Pearsall and Wilson certainly fit your model better.  But the first two not so much. 

Yeah, I don't think this will be the type of offense that finds/creates mismatches. It'll be more "find the hole" in the defense and get the ball there as quickly as possible so the receiver can work his magic.

To be honest, I think the opposite and am a bit iffy on this EDGE class. After Verse, Turner, Chop and Latu, there is a significant drop of snap-ready talent.

Lots of guys missing in the Will McDonald, Tuli or Byron Young mold.  Adisa Isaac sort of interests me but a lot of others are either undersized or severely lacking in experience or strength.

Not a fan of this class at all.

Have 1 true like which would be in the 3rd-ish (but could rise): Kneeland out of WMich. 

Elliss has a Dwight Freeney esque spin move and is a ton of fun to watch.  Could be the other to watch, but I don't see top-50 talent. He's more top-100.

Those two-- Kneeland and Elliss would be my watches, but no way at 33, Kneeland maybe at 39 (or a trade down)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

To be honest, I think the opposite and am a bit iffy on this EDGE class. After Verse, Turner, Chop and Latu, there is a significant drop of snap-ready talent.

Lots of guys missing in the Will McDonald, Tuli or Byron Young mold.  Adisa Isaac sort of interests me but a lot of others are either undersized or severely lacking in experience or strength.

Not a fan of this class at all.

Have 1 true like which would be in the 3rd-ish (but could rise): Kneeland out of WMich. 

Elliss has a Dwight Freeney esque spin move and is a ton of fun to watch.  Could be the other to watch, but I don't see top-50 talent. He's more top-100.

Those two-- Kneeland and Elliss would be my watches, but no way at 33, Kneeland maybe at 39 (or a trade down)

That's why I've been looking at the OLB recruits like Wilson, Edgerrin Cooper. Those guys can get pressure as stand up LBs. Still not that many of them. But at least some starter types at 33 and 39. 

Those guys you mentioned will be gone by the 20s most likely. Latu may drop due to injury concern but doubt he makes 33. 

Edited by Panthero

On 3/16/2024 at 9:19 AM, rayzor said:

This class is abnormally deep in a lot of positions. Guys that would be first rounders in most other years will be slipping to 2nd or even third rounds.

And I'm not going to base what we do this year on what we've typically done, because we aren't doing really anything typically so far with Morgan running it.

What has Morgan done that different so far? Other than guard prices having gone through the roof for the entire NFL, Fitterer twice signed a couple of FA OL (I’m happier with the current two but we also spent a lot more), Fitterer also went after Jax castoffs, Fitterer got little value for traded vets, and Fitterer filled all the holes before the draft so we could draft BPA.

Now, for Morgan, the players he gets are the key. If he drafts well, he’s not Scott immediately but if he doesn’t, we haven’t increased our talent level that much considering some of our losses. I’m still waiting for the draft because that’s truly where Fitterer selected and traded our way to the bottom but I can honestly say that I don’t feel like this offseason has been a 180 from typical.

I like Marshawn Kneeland and he's looking like a top 50 prospect with his size, length, athleticism and versatility. It will probably take about 39 to get him but I think he could have an immediate impact.

I like Adisa Issac too who has all the traits and upside but needs time to develop. I'd be more comfortable with him closer to 65 though.

Kansas' Austin Booker is another traits/upside prospect I like potentially in the 3rd round. Strong pass rush but run defense needs to be developed. Could come in as a situational rusher in year 1 with hopes of improvement against the run.

Edited by Untouchable