• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BREAKING: Panthers signing Rashad Penny

10 hours ago, Steves89 said:

Solid, low stakes signing. I like it well enough. My questions about rub are

1. Does Chuba have any trade value? (Probs not, but more than sanders. Maybe we could get another 5th)

2. Does Tarik Cohen have a shot making the team given the new kickoff rules? I can’t imagine he’s still got it and doubt he makes the team, but with the new kickoff rules, maybe he has the inside track against some of these other backs. 

regardless, it will be a fun TC battle to watch (or would be if stepper let us watch)

Chuba is the only non-question mark running back on the team. Trading him for what tiny return he might bring would be dumb. 

10 hours ago, Steves89 said:

Solid, low stakes signing. I like it well enough. My questions about rub are

1. Does Chuba have any trade value? (Probs not, but more than sanders. Maybe we could get another 5th)

2. Does Tarik Cohen have a shot making the team given the new kickoff rules? I can’t imagine he’s still got it and doubt he makes the team, but with the new kickoff rules, maybe he has the inside track against some of these other backs. 

regardless, it will be a fun TC battle to watch (or would be if stepper let us watch)

I think Cohen is here for 3rd down/receiving work more so than special teams

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I'm not that familiar with Penny but his stats are great. The problem is injuries so doesn't he fit in really well as a tool to be used sparingly but for the right jobs? He has injury problems so you don't want him running too many times a game which is fine because with already have Chuba and just drafted Brooks but Penny could be the 3rd and short guy or 4th quarter run it down your throat with the lead guy, no? I don't see him as just depth but another potential weapon that if used correctly could be a very nice piece. He won't have to run the ball 20 times a game here. Mix him into the rotation lightly and use him when you want to pound the defense. 

Running back by committee has been proven to work in the right situations…

• Beer 2

5 hours ago, KSpan said:

Chuba is the only non-question mark running back on the team. Trading him for what tiny return he might bring would be dumb. 

This is true what you say

5 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Running back by committee has been proven to work in the right situations…

Running backs and linebackers take the most punishment in a football game. No other position gets the level of contact those positions get. Running full speed into another super athlete, who is also running full speed. The era of bell cow backs that take 90% of the carries isn't really a sustainable way to operate. Defenders have gotten too big, too strong and too fast. 

• Pie 2