• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Cell phone service provider

Thompcat

I have never started a thread before but I am so frustrated with my cell service. The one thing that I know about this group is that we all have opinions. I  live in northeastern North Carolina and currently have US Cellular as a provider but my wife and I are constantly dropping calls. I was wondering what others use and how their experience has been with calls and service. I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

US Cellular is in talks to be purchased by either Verizon or T-Mobile.  Not like that will help your original question.

If you are having issues with lots of dropped calls in your home, you might be able to ask (whomever your provider is) for a localized repeater to keep in the house.  Kinda like wifi for your cell phone.   Also, consider turning on "Make Wifi Calls" on while you're home, so you could utilize wifi instead of a poor cell link

Find out who has the best coverage in the area then find out who has an MVNO using that network that way you can get the best coverage for a fraction of the price. It's Verizon in western NC so I use Spectrum Wireless to get Verizon coverage at a fraction of Verizon pricing.

• Beer 1

This is a good starting point:

https://coveragemap.com/cell-phone-coverage/north-carolina/

So here's the main idea of an NVMO is that you're a 2nd tier customer.  It's not that bad.  So I'm on Spectrum Mobile which is an NVMO for Verizon.  My coverage is all Verizon.  The difference is that a normal Verizon customer is going to get the preferential data versus me.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

NVMO buy up extra data from the big carriers (for super cheap) and repackage it to customers at a discount.  I've had no issue with coverage or speeds.  The only down side is Verizon doesn't penetrate buildings and walls well...  Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I'm paying and the otherwise rock solid coverage.

I live in Eastern NC about 20 miles east of Greenville.  With my job I am in areas further east of there where cellular coverage can be very tough.  I had US Cellular for years and it was not very good.  Lots of dropped calls and area with poor service.  I also found their billing process and explanations confusing.

In the last yesr I switched to Tmobile and it is much better and cheaper.  I even have my home internet with them now as I get a strong 5G signal from them.

So, I really recommend Tmobile as it has been great for me and I am guessing we have similar issues.

16 hours ago, pamlicopanther said:

I live in Eastern NC about 20 miles east of Greenville.  With my job I am in areas further east of there where cellular coverage can be very tough.  I had US Cellular for years and it was not very good.  Lots of dropped calls and area with poor service.  I also found their billing process and explanations confusing.

In the last yesr I switched to Tmobile and it is much better and cheaper.  I even have my home internet with them now as I get a strong 5G signal from them.

So, I really recommend Tmobile as it has been great for me and I am guessing we have similar issues.

Ok, I know roughly where you are and we are in similar areas. I'm about 30 miles from  Greenville NW. Very rural where I travel with my job. Thanks for the info.