• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

And if you agree that teams would not trade a universally generational type, like Manning, then it should be a really small sample size because making a huge trade knowing that is not real sound thinking. 

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Niners are the only recent team to trade up a haul and still survive after the pick didn't work out.  It's also just not very common so it's not a real good sample size...

That's because it never works out. The Panthers will recover from it next season but the scars still remain. If Bryce turns into anything it will still not recoup that short term cost. Long term they are not crippled which is all that matters. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, strato said:

And if you agree that teams would not trade a universally generational type, like Manning, then it should be a really small sample size because making a huge trade knowing that is not real sound thinking. 

If the team holding the 1st pick wants to trade it they probably should reconsider. Chicago realistically should have drafted their qb last year. But they got lucky and found a sucker dumber than they were. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

That's because it never works out. The Panthers will recover from it next season but the scars still remain. If Bryce turns into anything it will still not recoup that short term cost. Long term they are not crippled which is all that matters. 

The mid-level ones have been nice. Chiefs moved up for Mahomes and the Bills did for Allen. Build a strong roster and only use one future first to move and get a high ceiling QB was the formula in both cases. The Niners tried to replicate but overpaid and honestly didn’t really give Lance a chance once Purdy started winning. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

The mid-level ones have been nice. Chiefs moved up for Mahomes and the Bills did for Allen. Build a strong roster and only use one future first to move and get a high ceiling QB was the formula in both cases. The Niners tried to replicate but overpaid and honestly didn’t really give Lance a chance once Purdy started winning. 

I've seen too many mistakes made in the draft that look like a sound selection at the time. You cannot predict how these kids will do in the nfl. There are just too many things that have to be in place for them to succeed beyond natural ability. Then you have the money and prestige that come from playing at this level. Things you cannot really predict how it will impact their dedication to their game or to the team once they get here. But desperation will make a GM do crazy things.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Crippled maybe not, we won’t be running a bunch of sprints either.

Just going with Darnold or whatever, DJ Moore, the 9th overall, the 2nd rounders, this year’s 1. if you hit half of those picks ... it’s a pretty devastating outcome. 

When you look at CJ if he has that same arc again, and Williams, what if he is OROY or something? It is historic. Hard to swallow. 

Edited by strato

BTW that article also said there have been 13 times that trade has been made but quite a few were not for QBs.

Teams didn’t used to be so hard headed and intentionally blind and if there were no worthy QBs, often they would take the best position player. Seems like that has gone away. 

15 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If the team holding the 1st pick wants to trade it they probably should reconsider. Chicago realistically should have drafted their qb last year. But they got lucky and found a sucker dumber than they were. 

We’ll see what becomes of their picks.

In the end passing on Stroud may be their mistake as well.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, strato said:

Crippled maybe not, we won’t be running a bunch of sprints either.

Just going with Darnold or whatever, DJ Moore, the 9th overall, the 2nd rounders, this year’s 1. if you hit half of those picks ... it’s a pretty devastating outcome. 

When you look at CJ if he has that same arc again, and Williams, what if he is OROY or something? It is historic. Hard to swallow. 

I'm not convinced Williams will do anything in Chicago. You can play what if all day. What if he's a bust and CJ comes back down to earth after there a seasons worth of film on him? What if another rookie goes on the win ROY and it's not one of the first 3 qb's? That's why it's all a matter of what the coach is trying to run and the kind of players he needs to run it. That all makes it impossible to predict what will happen with these kids.

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

We’ll see what becomes of their picks.

In the end passing on Stroud may be their mistake as well.

Maybe.  But one season does not a HOF player make. Huston has to worry about continuing to build around him or that talent will be wasted. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not convinced Williams will do anything in Chicago. You can play what if all day. What if he's a bust and CJ comes back down to earth after there a seasons worth of film on him? What if another rookie goes on the win ROY and it's not one of the first 3 qb's? That's why it's all a matter of what the coach is trying to run and the kind of players he needs to run it. That all makes it impossible to predict what will happen with these kids.

Well we are in agreement overall on that decision just looking at the fallout differently. 

I am not a personal fan of Williams from a few quotes I’ve run across but we weren’t taking him so I ignored him as a prospect. I never look at QBs unless we are looking. 

But if things align a certain way this turns historically bad. The kind of thing children will read about when they grow up.

Edited by strato

45 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The people at the top of chiefs. bills, and 49ers the owners, coaches, GM are just light years better than panthers. Purdy was a life saver for 49ers, otherwise lynch and shanny would have been fired. I seen a recent report that after a few practices shanny told York purdy was the best QB on the roster. Better than jimmyg, lance, darnold. 

I hope Morgan and canalas show they close the gap, at least tepper spends plenty.......

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, strato said:

Well we are in agreement overall on that decision just looking at the fallout differently. 

I am not a personal fan of Williams from a few quotes I’ve run across but we weren’t taking him so I ignored him as a prospect. I never look at QBs unless we are looking. 

But if things align a certain way this turns historically bad. The kind of thing children will read about when they grow up.

Historically bad? There's always worse trades plor decisions than the Panthers make. It's not the end if the world. It's just a 2 year gamble. It hurts to lose the picks because the seriously needed before they went all in regardless of the qb taken. It was stupid to give all that up with the roster they way it was. At least they are focusing on the entire roster this time around. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1