• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney offered an extension

Jbro

I mean if you can stop blasting "Cowboys From Hell" and punching your bedroom wall long enough to actually take a look at how the Panthers have drafted the last few years, you'd see this:

Offensive line: f**king stacked. Every starter next season will have been drafted by the Panthers

Quarterback: Definitely promising if not a sure thing

Running back: f**king stacked. Again, starter(s) drafted by the Panthers and there's undeniable talent all the way down the depth chart.

Fullback: Wait and see

Wide Receiver: A definite area of weakness after Steve Smith

TE: Solid if unspectacular. I feel like Moore can do more (hurrr) with these options than Delhomme ever did as evidenced by last season.

Linebacking corps: f**king stacked. All three starters on opening day 2010, again, will have been drafted by the Panthers. Thomas Davis was on a collision course with his first Pro Bowl before that freak ACL tear.

Defensive line: Kind of a question mark, particularly at the end spot, but it's nowhere near as awful or hopeless as some people here would have you believe. Louis Leonard played well before he went down and Tank Tyler has promise. Oh no so people might be able to run on us next season. What the f**k else is new.

Cornerback: As someone else said, solid down to the nickel spot. Munnerlyn was a great value pick.

FS: Godfrey came on strong at the end of last season. There's also a more than capable starter behind him.

SS: Chris Harris Chris Harris Chris Harris

Also you people need to stop assuming that Marty Hurney singlehandedly runs the scouting department for the Panthers. Don Gregory probably deserves a ton of credit for masterminding these recent drafts. oH BUTT JOKE DELHOMME AND JULUS PEPPEARS GAWD DAMMIT MARTY

Hurney made a big mistake with Jake, but overall I think he's done a good job.

I would love to see the day when fans come to realize that the Jake extension was more about being able to actually sign some free agents and not about the loyalty to Jake.

With the franchising of Peppers, the Panthers had NO money to sign any free agents. Extending Jake's contract freed up some funds for the Panthers to sign free agents last year. Had there been a salary cap this year, Jake would still be a Panther and more than likely, the starter.

Considering most everyone believed 2010 would be an uncapped year, doing Jake's extension, in which he could be cut this year with little consequences, and allowed us to sign free agents last year, was a smart move to make last year.

Those of you who continue to bash Hurney for signing Jake to an extension are showing how little you know about the salary cap situation the Panthers were in last year.

Again, the extension was more about being able to sign free agents and draft picks last year than it was about Jake.

London, so you're saying that we have three positions on the team that are great. Well that's fantastic, but all but maybe five teams in the league can say the same thing. The key to having a playoff team is having more than just three positions being "f**king stacked". Hence why we had to overachieve late in the season last year just to finish at .500.

All this means is that we're very likely to promote the HC from within once Fox is gone. No need to flip GMs.

fuging hilarious that we might end up with Davidson, Meeks or Skipper as a HC, but there it is.

I would love to see the day when fans come to realize that the Jake extension was more about being able to actually sign some free agents and not about the loyalty to Jake.

With the franchising of Peppers, the Panthers had NO money to sign any free agents. Extending Jake's contract freed up some funds for the Panthers to sign free agents last year. Had there been a salary cap this year, Jake would still be a Panther and more than likely, the starter.

Considering most everyone believed 2010 would be an uncapped year, doing Jake's extension, in which he could be cut this year with little consequences, and allowed us to sign free agents last year, was a smart move to make last year.

Those of you who continue to bash Hurney for signing Jake to an extension are showing how little you know about the salary cap situation the Panthers were in last year.

Again, the extension was more about being able to sign free agents and draft picks last year than it was about Jake.

Don't care what the reason, the Jake extension was a dumb f***ing idea. Hurney shouldn't have been in that predicament in the first place. Hurney was trying to be too agressive and messed up. Luckily, this uncapped year stopped it from being the BONAFIDE worse move in our franchise's history. Still...we lost Peppers without any compensation when our goal was to re-sign him and we made Jake the highest paid NFL player this upcoming year. Brilliant thinking from our FO.

Like I said before, Hurney is an okay GM...he ain't "one of the best" in the NFL. He has strengths and he has weaknesses.

All this means is that we're very likely to promote the HC from within once Fox is gone. No need to flip GMs.

f**king hilarious that we might end up with Davidson, Meeks or Skipper as a HC, but there it is.

How do you derive this? Not saying your wrong...just trying to follow what you are thinking.

Don't care what the reason, the Jake extension was a dumb f***ing idea. Hurney shouldn't have been in that predicament in the first place. Hurney was trying to be too agressive and messed up. Luckily, this uncapped year stopped it from being the BONAFIDE worse move in our franchise's history. Still...we lost Peppers without any compensation when our goal was to re-sign him and we made Jake the highest paid NFL player this upcoming year. Brilliant thinking from our FO.

Like I said before, Hurney is an okay GM...he ain't "one of the best" in the NFL. He has strengths and he has weaknesses.

Still wouldn't have been the worse move in franchise history...There's another one that's worse by far imo.

Yay, we lost Peppers..... A player who didn't want to be a leader on this team, who didn't always go full steam and was so-so against the run. He was definitely worth the 90 million dollar contract he got. :rolleye:

Seriously big deal..

Like someone posted above, the jake contract was because of Pepper's tag and to make up for him making so damn little when he was playing good a few years back. It was two fold, either they give Jake the contract or the team wouldn't have had money to try and improve the team.. Saying the deal was a dumb Idea is also Hindsight, no one would be saying anything about it if Jake had a good season last year. The dumb move was giving peppers the Tag, should have let him walk last season, and used that 20 million in other places..

:smilielol5:

This.. I don't know why people feel the need to ignore certain aspects that are huge factors in decision making. Catch up people, you're holding our fan base back on a grand scale.

Defensive line: Kind of a question mark, particularly at the end spot, but it's nowhere near as awful or hopeless as some people here would have you believe. Louis Leonard played well before he went down and Tank Tyler has promise. Oh no so people might be able to run on us next season. What the f**k else is new.

Also you people need to stop assuming that Marty Hurney singlehandedly runs the scouting department for the Panthers. Don Gregory probably deserves a ton of credit for masterminding these recent drafts. oH BUTT JOKE DELHOMME AND JULUS PEPPEARS GAWD DAMMIT MARTY

one thing to add, one to comment on.. I think our DT situation is more important than our DE's.. If we can grab a pro-bowl DT, that is going to propel us much further than a DE.. IMO.

and yeah, our draft has stepped up significantly since Don Gregory stepped in.. Before that, we were left with a lot to desire after draft day..

London, so you're saying that we have three positions on the team that are great. Well that's fantastic, but all but maybe five teams in the league can say the same thing. The key to having a playoff team is having more than just three positions being "f**king stacked". Hence why we had to overachieve late in the season last year just to finish at .500.

The guy I was responding to was shitting a brick because we don't have a roster ready to go for opening day in freaking April. I don't think we're going to win the Super Bowl and I'm not even sold on the idea of a winning season or playoff run because, as you alluded, I don't know if we have a complete enough team yet.

At first I was ticked about giving Jake and Peppers the big contract but hindsight is always 20-20. Marty Hurney and the Panthers undoubtly did what they thought was right at the time.

Yep. Some need to know Hurney isn't perfect, so you can't expect a GM to please everyone whenever football start. Hurney isn't the only the GM to make some move fans won't like & he won't be the last to do so. Some just love to complain about one move & want the guy cut already. Make me glad fans don't run the organzation.

ahahaha our fans are such spoiled babies. Watching our fanbase deal with moderate disappointment is like watching a 16 year old lose his first girlfriend.

Yep. They're almost bad as Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys, & Eagles fans. And Patriots fans as well. :D

Well said, sir. Don't blame Hurney for the extension. Pep deserve that blame, 'cause he wouldn't made up his mind to sign the tender & he handcuffed Hurney there. That is probably why they trade their 2010 Draft 1st round pick to get Brown last year. If Pep wasn't stubborn with making us wait, then the extension Jake got might never happend.

Archived