• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers draft Armanti Edwards

Car123

So is he a WR? A KR? A QB? He was a tough rascal up at App. But at 187 can he take an NFL hit? I think the Panthers overpaid for him but Hurney and Fox have a tendency to give away picks like candy to a baby.

Smitty weighs 185 pounds.

It was a second pick for a third and a player the Panthers obviously fell in love with (the guy runs a 4.2 and has better moves than Reggie Bush) What is the big deal. Last year we traded a second for a first and I don't remember half this bitching.

So expect nothing from the guy we traded a 2nd rounder for..this year..

You're talking about him having a year to develop and a year to train at the wide receiver position and returns, and whatever we use him as," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "I think hopefully, we'll see in a year that that was the right thing to do.

"He's just got a lot of qualities that make you think he's going to be a very good football player at this level."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/24/1395738/panthers-draft-edwards-as-wide.html#ixzz0m1bnGe2h

Come on, your getting carried away aren't you? No way he would have made it back around to the panthers. I do agree a second is kind of steep however we didn't swap 3rd round picks so thats to be expected. Edwards is damn near untouchable in the open field. Kind of reminds me of Desan Jackson, who is a 175lb wet noodle who does just fine. He caught passes in his pro day and I'm sure he did again in his private workout with the Panthers. I doubt if he would have made it pass Jacksonville. I think Joshua Cribbs made the transition just fine. I think Edwards will too.

you are a dumbass

He may not be a superstar but what you said is idiotic. Somewhere in the universe, a black hole was created by the sheer density of your stupid.

I will say I was pretty drunk when I wrote my comment. Lol! I don't think he was worth a future 2. I hope the Panthers use him only as a WR/KR. I just keep hearing Wildcat and I hate the gimmicky offense. I hope he proves me sooooo wrong. I hope I eat crow cause I would love to see him knife thru and break a kick off return for a TD. Good Luck Armanti!!

I'm concerned with this pick, but I'm giving a wait and see approach rather than being negative, especially since I'm pretty much in the dark with never seeing him play before.

What I'm concerned about is that he was drafted with the hopes of the Panthers using him as a WR, return man and probably some passing plays here and there. I read that he played WR in high school, but that he never did punts or KRs on any level. He did a couple at the combine, but that's it and it takes special skills to be a good return guy, good field visibility, patience and being able to set up your blocks well. I'm also concerned about his attitude in having to be a WR and return man rather than competing for the QB spot, even though he says he doesn't mind. I wouldn't expect him to say he does mind right after getting drafted. I've read in a blog, don't know if it's true or not, that he passed up certain colleges because they wanted him to play WR rather than the QB spot which he wanted and that's why he ended up playing for a Div. 1-AA college.

If he's truely happy and content at playing WR and being a return man then I'm not as concerned because if he has the talent, passion and toughness that so many fans and writers claim he does, then I think he would pick things up fast and most likely do well.

I'm no pro, but the kid did win the Division 2 Walter Payton award (equivalent of the Heisman in D1) two years in a row. First to ever do that. He can't be nearly as bad as all the haters on here feel he will be. We bitched all year about not having a speedy elusive KR guy. Now we have one, but wait lets whine a bit. I wish I could go back and read some threads about when a 5'9 182lb KR/PR guy got taken in 3rd about 6 or 7 years ago. That little punk played junior college ball before he could even go to a university game. I guess we shouldn't have taken Steve either. I am surprised he didn't quit after his first NFL hit. I think we know better now.

Edwards did not play Division 2 football- he played Division I football. The Walter Payton Award goes to the best FCS football player. Yes, FCS football is Division I.

Archived