• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vikings QB Situation

Darknight

I rarely make threads but I wanted to ask this question.

I don't know, but if I can remember correctly, the Vikings had a chance to snag Jimmy Clausen but chose not too because they thought Favre was coming back.

I just heard a report on ESPN (I know they suck) that Favre may not want to be in football pads again. Did Favre screw the Vikings over or did the Vikings fail to have a plan B?

And if Favre doesn't come back, do they trade for one of Carolina's young and promising QBs? It's a lot to think about. Just want to hear others opinions on this.

I don't feel sorry for the Vikings at all. They should have drafted a QB to develop under Favre IF he comes back or take over and learn if he doesn't. However, they probably feel like, even with T.Jackson leading their team they can still compete, and they can. They have a good enough running game (will miss Chester though) and defense to carry a "game manager".

If Favre retires, I think the Vikings have no choice but to go with Tavaris Jackson again. He wasn't terrible when he started before, but he wasn't very good either.

But he was also young, and there's a decent chance that the year behind Favre may have helped his development, he could be a lot better now than anyone believes. His main problems were decision making, and experience helps with that.

They also have Sage Rosenfels, but he's never going to get any better than he is, and he isn't very good. In 10 years he had one good stretch in Houston where he played well as a backup, but that's it.

So I like Jackson for the starting job if Favre retires, and I honestly don't think that the drop off will be too severe for the Vikings.

i could see a trade for moore.

also...there's no way that jackson or rosenfels can come close to what favre did.

they get another game manager in there and they aren't going to be sniffing the playoffs. peterson can't carry that team...crap, he can't even carry the ball without dropping it half the time.

they are going to have to get a gunslinger.

if the vikes make an offer to the panthers for moore i think they take it.

I don't think we would trade Moore at this point. Clausen has looked promising so far but we haven't seen him in a game situation yet. If Moore gets hurt this season and Clausen gets some significant playing time and does well, then I could see us putting Moore on the trading block next offseason.

I honestly felt that if Clausen had fallen past the first half of the 1st round, that the Vikings would take him. When that didn't happen, I drank even more heavily that night.

I think we let the Vikings come to us...we develop our guys. Unless the Vikings are willing to give up their next years first and one of their DTs for Clausen, it ain't happening. And even then we'd be doing them a favor and they'd probably have to give up more. Our FO being that cutthroat though...yeah...I'm not seeing it either.

On draft night the ESPN analyists debated this very topic. Some thought Minny was taking a huge risk not going after a QB. Berman thought that the team would be making a mistake by doing so because it might make the already moody Favre a bit grumpy and the team can't afford to do that. That may sound like a somewhat stupid, high risk plan but it kind of makes sense especially with a possible lockout after this next season. Minny, like the Jets and a few others, are thinking Superbowl or bust and a productive Favre is the final piece of a puzzle to get them there. If you look at the prior couple of years of NFC champions, last year's Minny team would probably outrank all of them in talent and production. They just ran into a hot Saints team who they would have beaten if Favre had not thrown that stupid pass late in the 4th.

i don't think we need to see him in a game situation before we decide he's the guy.

if he practices better than moore then fox will give clausen the job. it's doubtful that moore is in the long term plans for the panthers. if they can get a decent draft pick for him then they probably won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

i'm not worried about clausen getting the start as a rookie. the past couple years have shown that rookies getting the start can work out well.

On draft night the ESPN analyists debated this very topic. Some thought Minny was taking a huge risk not going after a QB. Berman thought that the team would be making a mistake by doing so because it might make the already moody Favre a bit grumpy and the team can't afford to do that. That may sound like a somewhat stupid, high risk plan but it kind of makes sense especially with a possible lockout after this next season. Minny, like the Jets and a few others, are thinking Superbowl or bust and a productive Favre is the final piece of a puzzle to get them there. If you look at the prior couple of years of NFC champions, last year's Minny team would probably outrank all of them in talent and production. They just ran into a hot Saints team who they would have beaten if Favre had not thrown that stupid pass late in the 4th.

yeah, favre has yet another team by the gonads. pretty obvious that was going to happen.

I doubt very seriously that Favre has a magical season like he did last year. He is another year older and his body took another season of beatings. He is quickly reaching the point that his body cannot cash the checks that he is writing.

I personally think he does not have a year near what he did....and the Vikings will be 3rd in the NFC North.

i don't think we need to see him in a game situation before we decide he's the guy.

if he practices better than moore then fox will give clausen the job. it's doubtful that moore is in the long term plans for the panthers. if they can get a decent draft pick for him then they probably won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

i'm not worried about clausen getting the start as a rookie. the past couple years have shown that rookies getting the start can work out well.

I think it would be foolish to give Clausen the starting job and trade away Moore without seeing Clausen play in a few games first.

Archived