• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams headed for trouble in 2010

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/05/06/troubled-teams/1.html

They're Just stating what we're all thinking... Still, I'm a bit more excited about this season than I was last year.

6. Carolina

REASON TO WORRY: Call me alarmist, but when I see a Panthers franchise in the midst of a payroll-cutting purge of veterans (see Julius Peppers, Jake Delhomme, Damione Lewis, Maake Kemoeatu, Chris Harris and Brad Hoover), perhaps with an eye toward a potential 2011 lockout, and a head coach about to work the final, lame-duck year of his contract, I quickly deduce the coming season in Carolina might not be the proverbial magic carpet ride.

The Panthers are suddenly a pretty young team in a host of spots -- just four players on their roster are 30 or older, and two of those are kicker John Kasay and punter Jason Baker -- and that's not really the blueprint for success that the veteran-loving John Fox has used in Carolina the past eight years. Some speculate Fox will coach free and easy this year, with little to lose, but it looks to me like the Panthers decided to go lean and mean this season, and hope that will pay dividends down the road. In other words, this is a classic rebuilding year, even though it may be some other head coach in 2011 who winds up inheriting the fruit of Carolina's 2010 labor.

REASON NOT TO PANIC: No team with Jon Beason on defense and Steve Smith, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams and a quality line on offense is going to be out-classed on too many occasions. The Panthers have talent, but there's not a surplus by any means. Still, they've surprised us with bigger than expected seasons several times in recent years, and might once again.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/05/06/troubled-teams/1.html#ixzz0nOrtH0jg

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

We have a better team overall than last year imo. The only negatives are Harris and Peppers going to Chicago. Otherwise we will improve in every aspect, and our DE situation may turn out to be better than anticipated.

We should be playoff bound.

The write up is playing it safe giving cons and pros. Fair. I would go a lot more towards rebuilding and cons if I were the bucs, rams or I hate to say it but buffalo as well.

I think we as a forum should make it a strong point to not post such con articles. Point out the weaknesses, yes, but we have a great young core on both sides of the ball that have leadership in the locker room and can fill in the vets shoes.

If we are rebuilding then obviously we are looking past 2010---not to say that we are throwing the season away. But, inherent with rebuilding is a reasonable lowering of expectations, so rational people should just be looking for a modicum of success based in the reality of having many young players who will be trying to put it all together and/or learning what the hell is going on. I don't see it as heading for trouble, just going through the expected natural progression that will include growing pains. This being the case, why should anyone be alarmed? Just go along for the ride with modest expectations.

we have an easy schedule this year, peppers was inconsistent throughout most of the year last year, and the only big gap we will have is chris harris, altough i feel martin and godfrey can step up. not to mention...the aint's wont be as lucky this year..

we have an easy schedule this year, peppers was inconsistent throughout most of the year last year, and the only big gap we will have is chris harris, altough i feel martin and godfrey can step up. not to mention...the aint's wont be as lucky this year..

easy schedule - dont make me go keyshawn johnson with the c'mon man!

Peppers was a beast for the Carolina Panthers...

Chris Harris? (Luigi) WRONG! Try defense line, although it would be nice if the front office to sign 5 more linebackers for shits and giggles.

Archived