• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers purge long-time scout Pete Russell

The Saltman

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/panthers-purge-long-time-scout-pete-russell/

A league source tells us that, earlier this week, the Carolina Panthers terminated the employment of long-time scout Pete Russell.

Russell, widely respected in league circles, will now have trouble finding work, given that the firing occurred more than a month after the draft.

I seriously doubt they fired him because he was old.

And you can view firing him after the draft both ways. They did use him and dump him, but they also gave him work. Then you add in that he could have told other teams our draft plans. It makes sense to let him finish out this year and then let him go.

I think JR should release a public statement or something so crazy theories like those don't get any legs to stand on.

I guess the idea here is that if they fired him immediatley after the draft (as is done in most cases) he would have had a wider selection of jobs?

My official response to this is: "BOO-FRIGGIN-HOO".

He's a big boy who I'm sure was treated and compensated very well during his time with the Panthers and if he's so widely respected in league circles he should have another gig in no time.

Florio clearly has an axe to grind with the Panthers... perhaps he's a players union guy (most lawyers love unions because they can use them as a vehicle to bilk money out of corporations and taxpayers) so he sees Jerry Richardson as the bad guy and wants to punish him?

Archived