• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "Jeff Davidson sucks" mantra.

SmootsDaddy89

Is f**king dumb. He is not the reason our offense sucked last year, and not the reason it sucked yesterday.

You complain about how bland our offense is, yet we were 10th in yards in 2008, and 7th in points. And that was with Jake playing only at a Trent Dilfer level. And we weren't that far off from being a top 10 offense during the last 5 games of 2009 when Matt WASN'T playing like ass.

Do I wish we weren't so bland offensively sometimes? Sure, everyone does. But I don't think our playcalling is as TERRIBLE as some people make it out to be.

Fact of the matter is, our offense suffered in 2009 because we couldn't get consistent play from the quarterback position, and that has carried in to the first game of 2010.

If you want our offense to get better, stop blaming Jeff (who is handicapped by Fox, if anyone, as far as offensive creativity.) and start looking for a quarterback who wont fold under the pressure of being "the guy."

But yes, three straight passes at the goal line was a bad choice. But Jeff Davidson still didn't cause Matt to make a stupid decision and throw three ints yesterday.

Davidson does suck as an offensive coach.

He hasn't done ANYTHING impressive since he's been here.

In too many games he abandons what the Panthers do best.

And he has no idea what balance is.

He either goes all pass, or all run. Heaven forbid he mix it up, and keep defenses off balance.

While the o-line played terrible yesterday, Davidson did NOTHING to help.

Is f**king dumb. He is not the reason our offense sucked last year, and not the reason it sucked yesterday.

You complain about how bland our offense is, yet we were 10th in yards in 2008, and 7th in points. And that was with Jake playing only at a Trent Dilfer level. And we weren't that far off from being a top 10 offense during the last 5 games of 2009 when Matt WASN'T playing like ass.

Do I wish we weren't so bland offensively sometimes? Sure, everyone does. But I don't think our playcalling is as TERRIBLE as some people make it out to be.

Fact of the matter is, our offense suffered in 2009 because we couldn't get consistent play from the quarterback position, and that has carried in to the first game of 2010.

If you want our offense to get better, stop blaming Jeff (who is handicapped by Fox, if anyone, as far as offensive creativity.) and start looking for a quarterback who wont fold under the pressure of being "the guy."

But yes, three straight passes at the goal line was a bad choice. But Jeff Davidson still didn't cause Matt to make a stupid decision and throw three ints yesterday.

Glad you brought up 2008. That year we had 45 offensive touchdowns, 30 on the ground and 15 through the air. So it's just a guess, but I think we ran it more in the red zone back then.

Now we've got a different fullback, a different quarterback, and a less experienced set of WRs. Who's making the decision to pass? I hardly see Moore walking up to the line and making that call over and over.

When you're in the redzone 4 times and your #1 RB only gets 1 carry and your QB throws 3 picks then your OC is an idiot. Sorry but he should know you can't put the ball in Moore's hands to score. Give it to DWill or Steve on an end-around or screen pass but do not let Matt Moore run around in the backfield 3 different times and lose the game.

My point is that no offense looks good when your quarterback plays like Panthro after binge drinking due to an NC State loss.

Unless you're going to argue that, with a different offensive coordinator, we could have been a top 10 offense in 2009, despite Jake throwing a pick every other play, I don't see what point you're making.

You don't need a Manning, Brees, or Brady to have a great offense. (anyone here think Jake played like Brees in 2008?)

What you DO need is a QB who can at least provide consistent, stable play. Not throwing f**king three picks in the red zone and overthrowing your receivers every goddamn play.

The Giants were putting 8 in the box on every play after some time in the second quarter, once they realized they could challenge Matt to beat them through the air, and he wouldn't be able to do it consistently.

I've already said that three passing plays on the goal line was not a good idea, but if you think we would have had super awesome success running the ball in the second half without the legitimate threat of Matt throwing an on-target pass more than one play per drive, you're delusional.

Get a dependable QB in there, and you rack up 400 yards offensively, and 30-40 points, we win, and aren't even having this discussion about how badly Jeff Davidson suxx0rz. The Giants are not that good defensively.

And what's even MORE funny is half the people shitting on Davidson right now were sucking his cock in 2008 lol.

The Panthers simply don't and never have had the quarterback or receivers (cept 03 era) to spice up the playcalling. Simple as that. The investment is in the run + play action, which most of the time is boring.

Try to spice it up with the wrong tools and you'll end up with failure or even worse turnovers.

I will add an addendum to the mantra that will make it more truthful: "Jeff Davidson sucks when we don't have the lead."

Part of the reason we did well in points and yards last year is because when we were doing really well we ran up the score, and when we struggled we sucked out loud. When we are ahead, he is brimming with confidence. He calls plays that rely on our core strengths, and we would run up the score. His game plan when we are losing is to abandon the run and switch to the pass. And not even when we are losing by a wide margin, or late in the game. As soon as we are behind, he switches the Panthers to a pass-first team.

Yesterday was like a grim repeat of the Arizona playoff disaster. The QB struggles, and his plan is to put more pressure on him? We ran like 16 times in the Arizona loss, and we ran 21 times yesterday. Both very low numbers for a Panthers offense.

And it leads to a vicious cycle. Your QB struggles so you up the % of pass calls and put more pressure on the QB because the opponent D starts bringing the house. QB throws an interception, opponents score again, desperation increases, and the pass call % goes up again. And this keeps spiralling out of control until we see what we saw yesterday. Pressure, incompletions, sacks, fumbles, and injuries. If we stick with the run, use the play action and keep our play calling balanced, even when we are down, our offense would be much more productive.

we might have scored more points had we ran the ball instead of letting the struggling quarterback you're talking about pass 3 times.

I'm not going to form an opinion on the team until halfway through the season. every team has some rust this early. gonna let the season go on a bit longer before I start blaming people.

Archived