• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney's Interview: The Hurney-Fox Divide

mav1234

Hurney's podcast, to me, demonstrates one hell of a divide between him and Fox. Saying things like, "It's an offense's league" and "You need to be able to move the ball through the air", and "Balanced offense" to me indicates a pretty big difference between Fox, at least in words.

The way he talks about building youth around Clausen and developing a quarterback is so not Fox like, I think it's clear Fox is done, period, even though Hurney will be back. Fox seemed more like a coach that liked to patch in veterans and rely on them and not really rely on youth, though obviously we have developed some talent in his time here...

When did this divide start? Did Fox lose Hurney?

Podcast at: http://sportsyapp.com/podcasts/Marty_Hurney_9-28-10_TBL.mp3

..........I think it's clear Fox is done, period, even though Hurney will be back.

I think the only reason Fox is here is because of the CBA. He was given persmission to leave this past offseason and if he found a job he wanted would have been released from the last year of his contract. He stayed, and JR didnt want to fire him, bring in a new coach and then have to pay him during a lockout. So in my opinion Fox is here because there wasnt another job he wanted and JR didnt want to fire him. This is the only part of the rebuilding that pisses me off..... I would enjoy it more if we had the next coaching staff in here. I also think Hurney will be here. Why else do you draft the way he did if he didnt think so.

There is no divide. Fox does the best he can with what he has to work with. We ran in 2008 and 2009 because we had inconsistent passing and a great running attack. This year we have passed much more than we ran. Look back to 2003 through 2007 and guess what. We threw more than we ran in every year except 2005 when we ran 30 more plays than we passed. We have discussed for years that people characterized us as a rushing team when we actually passed more than we ran. We do what works plain and simple.

I think you guys are wrong about this. There is no divide. I have no doubt that Fox realizes that teams have to move the ball through the air just as much as Hurney does. If you look at the years we have had good offenses (03, 05, 08), we had a decent to good passing. And in 03 we had a very good passing attack. And its not about the plays that are called, its about execution. When we have had even an average passing attack, we have had a pretty good balance of run to pass.

What is in doubt is the current coaching staff's ability to draft, develope, or sign the players needed to have a good passing attack. The three best receivers we have had during Fox's tenure are Smith, Moose, and Proehl, none of whom was drafted by Fox's staff. And Fox hitched his career to Delhomme for so many years, and was never able to get a solid replacement for him through the draft or thru free agency. Eventually Jake couldn't do it anymore, and we had no one to take over. It seems that when it comes to quarterbacks and receivers, the team just has no clue as how to judge or develope talent.

yeah, maybe that is true. At one point, they seemed pretty in tune, but things don't seem the same now. Fox doesn't even seem quite the same coach. Hurney seems more excited than Fox does, which is understandable since Hurney doesn't need to coach the guys, heh.

I'd stop short of calling it a "divide" but they're no longer the "package deal" they once were thought to be.

Excellent, another "safe " observation.

Where the fug is Hurney pulling this we don't pass enough stuff out of his ass?

Now 3 games into 2010 and we see the same play calling as 2009 resulting in identical 0-3 records.

97 Moore/Clausen passes versus just 64 Williams/Stewart runs.

This with a 5 start QB and now a 2nd round rookie. This year needs to feature the run even more than last year.

The entire staff needs to be purged and the Panthers steered in another direction the second the whistle is blown on game 16.

Archived