• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox on not bringing in veteran WRs: Those aren’t my decisions

SOJA

One cautionary note is that the same playcalling also had us at 12-4 and averaging 25 points a game in 2008. The difference is that all those veterans are gone and the talent pool is much worse.

Again I am not saying I will be sad to see him go but the problems with the offense aren't all his or even Davidson's at this point.

true, it is the same playcalling that we went 12-4 with, we went 8-8 with, and now 0-? with.

repeating it year after year is going to make any offense less effective.....of course that isn't the only reason we suck. But it aids it. Look at NE....look at 07 vs. 09. Huge difference....Patriots fans will tell you they got too predictable. The same scheme and plays (and talent) broke records in 07 doing it but you simply can't bring the same stuff every year not expect for teams to figure it out.

true, it is the same playcalling that we went 12-4 with, we went 8-8 with, and now 0-? with.

repeating it year after year is going to make any offense less effective.....of course that isn't the only reason we suck. But it aids it. Look at NE....look at 07 vs. 09. Huge difference....Patriots fans will tell you they got too predictable. The same scheme and plays (and talent) broke records in 07 doing it but you simply can't bring the same stuff every year not expect for teams to figure it out.

When was the last time the Patriots had a losing record?

Years prior, I think Fox was involved in the decision.. BUT of course this past offseason he was involved in none of them. He was told by JR that if he could find or wanted another job he was free to leave, then when he decided to stay put wasnt offered an extension. The only reason why he is here is because of the CBA issues. So if you know your bringing back a lame duck coach and have not plans to retain him after the upcominng season there is no way you let him make or be involved in personnel decisions.

I dont put this all on Foxy, but he does get some of the blame. Most of the blame this season goes to the sorry owner of our franchise. I feel a little bad for Fox. Has crap to work with, but even through all that, he's kept the players on ship, and they havent quit(I expect that to change, though). He's a good coach, but he's reached his peak here and its time to move on. I wish JR would've did him a favor and got rid of him during the offseason.

When was the last time the Patriots had a losing record?

my point was in 2007, they created what was possibly the best offense in NFL history. Ask a Patriot fan why there was such a gap in 2009? They had the same parts and were doing the same thing....you can't be that repeatitive year to year w/o it haven't a negative effect.

you can't do that in the NFL and not expect your offense to start taking steps backwards.

that was the point. the obvious negative effect of doing the same thing year after year. Fox is using the same plays under Davidson....little difference between 2008 and so far this season.

my point was in 2007, they created what was possibly the best offense in NFL history. Ask a Patriot fan why the difference was such a gap in 2009? They had the same parts and were doing the same thing....you can't be that repeatitive year to year w/o it haven't a negative effect.

you can't do that in the NFL and not expect your offense to start taking steps backwards.

that was the point. the obvious negative effect of doing the same thing year after year. Fox is using the same plays under Davidson....little difference between 2008 and so far this season.

My point is, the Patriots win consistently doing the same crap over and over and the Panthers don't. It's not a valid comparison. The Panthers are losing because they don't have a QB. Should've traded for McNabb and we'd be 3-2.

My point is, the Patriots win consistently doing the same crap over and over and the Panthers don't. It's not a valid comparison. The Panthers are losing because they don't have a QB. Should've traded for McNabb and we'd be 3-2.

the point remains, if you do the same thing year after year on offense.....it becomes less effective. A top teir offense becomes middle of the pack.....and middle of the pack offense becomes bad.

yes. They do win consistantly. Look at the 2003 Superbowl team.....and the one that went to the Superbowl in 2007. They did completely different things. That is why they have success....overall they have adapted. They are soon going to be tweaking all that again....which is why Moss got sent packing.

Since we are doing the same things year after year.....opponenents have a hand in making our QBs look bad.

Peyton Manning is basically the exception to most general rules.

Consider me a believer in Fox's ability to win games. When personnel decisions are not being determined by a budget, he finds a way to put us over .500 consistently.

That doesn't mean I like the way he does it though. It seems like it's been many years since I've seen an EXCITING Panthers game. And when they were exciting it was because the individual player made an ordinary play in an outstanding manner, and not because we took an educated chance and were victorious, or because we put an all-out balls to the wall assault on some opponent. We've never really rubbed it in hard.

Fox football is ....meh.... football even when we win.

Yes we are predictable but I think what Fox is saying is he wasn't ALLOWED to aquire the talent needed to put together a competitor this season after being FORCED to release what P55 states in every other thread VET TALENT/LEADERSHIP. So of course he deserves some blame but he is clearly putting this on JR shoulders, which he cant be blamed for that....can he????

Consider me a believer in Fox's ability to win games. When personnel decisions are not being determined by a budget, he finds a way to put us over .500 consistently.

That doesn't mean I like the way he does it though. It seems like it's been many years since I've seen an EXCITING Panthers game. And when they were exciting it was because the individual player made an ordinary play in an outstanding manner, and not because we took an educated chance and were victorious, or because we put an all-out balls to the wall assault on some opponent. We've never really rubbed it in hard.

Fox football is ....meh.... football even when we win.

Fox has never had back to back winning seasons here.....and his lame duck year is the really the onyl one with his hands tied.

He may not have dynamic WR's....but his playcalling still is too predictable.

he is a BIG reason that we suck.

I disagree....

I personally don't think he's a BIG Reason.... I feel if you insert any coach onto our sideline with these offensive weapons we're still the same 0-5 Team. You can stretch the field if you don't have the players to stretch the field.

One thing about Jake and the O-line when they were on is he would make you fear and cover the deep pass. You live Smitty with single coverage deep Jake would believe he could make that throw and would make the defense pay. You had Moose or Key on the other side to keep the DB's honest that's when Jake was at his best... What that does is open up or running game which would then dominate opponents.

Now without a QB-WR that has the timing and ability to go deep, and Wr's who can't get separation our passing game is not respected. Not too much play calling can do to fix that.

1) We open up the passing game and pass like crazy... bunch of Int's- See the earlier game

2) We try to play safe on offense and pound the ball, get a few big plays and rely on the defense, we still lose.

3) Mix it up... we're still not moving the ball and looking at 3rd and long which is BRUTAL for our offense.

This season it is the Talent on the field that is a Problem!!! Not coaching.... Hell we have to go grab everyone's left over WR talent and put them in the lineup.

Everyone has their open to Blame who they want... For me it is the front office #1. I believe if our FO worked like the New York Jets FO for example we would not be 0-5 this season.... But I do believe with their head coach we would be 0-5.

Archived