• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential Head Coaches

Mr. Scot

Alright, let's look at Mike Zimmer under the microscope. Loads of experience here and 10 years with his nose to the grindstone as a Defensive Coordinator in the NFL. Does Zimmer have the right stuff though that Richardson might pull the trigger on? Hmmm...

Served as DC for the Dallas Cowboys form 2000-2006. Taking a look at the league ranking for points allowed we see his defenses ranked 22, 20, 13, 2, 27, 12 and 20. Not exactly a great start.

Then, one year with the Falcons and his defense ranked 29th in points allowed.

Finally his current gig in Cincinnati starting in 2008 to the present. His defenses ranked 19th and 6th. Currently in 2010 the Bengal defense ranks 17th.

This is certainly a less than stellar resume serving under some very fine head coaches in Dave Campo, Bill Parcells, and Marvin Lewis.

When you look at the organizations Zimmer has served under it seems unlikely Zimmer would get a chance in Carolina especially when you look at the results on the field his defenses produced.

Dave Campo and Marvin Lewis are "fine head coaches"? :confused:

Good defensive minds, I'll give you. But "fine head coaches"? Can't really buy into that one.

Anyway, the NFL's benchmark stat for ranking "Total Defense" is actually yards allowed, not points. The rationale behind this, as I understand it, is that sometimes defenses get put in a bad spot by an offensive turnover so yards make for a truer measuring stick. Argue the validity of that if you want, but it's what the NFL uses.

Going by the NFL method, Zimmer's Cowboy defenses from were ranked 19th, 4th, 18th, 1st, 16th, 10th, 13th. The Falcon defense was 29th, but given the colossal mess the year under Petrino was, I don't know how much you can put on Zimmer (or any assistant coach for that matter).

As to his current team, the year prior to Zimmer taking over the Bengals, they were ranked 27th. Keeping many of the same personnel, Zimmer moved them to 12th in 2008, 4th in 2009. Points per game in this two year period went down from 24.1 to 18.2 (essentially a touchdown less). And keep in mind, this is the Bengals we're talking about.

And I'll add that if you want to go by points allowed as a measuring stick, here's something to consider...

From 2003 to 2008, the Panther defenses coordinated by Mike Trgovac averaged 19.63 points per game (an average ranking of 10.83). During that same period, the Philiadelphia Eagles defenses led by the late Jim Johnson averaged giving up 19.29 points per game (an average ranking of 10.67).

Thus, using the criteria you set up, I can provide evidence to show that Mike Trgovac was just as good a defensive coordinator as Jim Johnson :sosp:

Anybody wanna defend that idea?

(this is why they say stats don't tell the whole story)

Me? I don't put a whole lot of stock in rankings when it comes to players, coaches, units, whatever. It's not like the team that wins the Super Bowl every year is always ranked number one in one category or the other. Guys can either get the job done or they can't. Right now, the Panthers can't. Whether they'll be able to under new leadership...we'll see.

Anyway, the NFL's benchmark stat for ranking "Total Defense" is actually yards allowed, not points. The rationale behind this, as I understand it, is that sometimes defenses get put in a bad spot by an offensive turnover so yards make for a truer measuring stick. Argue the validity of that if you want, but it's what the NFL uses.

The only stat more important than points allowed for a defensive coordinator is wins and losses.

When anyone talks about the great defenses such as the '85 Bears or 2001 Ravens they talk about points allowed in a season.

No one gives 2 shits how many yards they gave up.

Points on the scoreboard matter, you can argue that all you like.

don't know who the head coach will be but since we a talking about zimmer, the fact he was willing to alter his approach cause the players couldn't execute the plan sounds promising to me. i know alot of people want a complete change of direction but i prefer not to wait 3 more years as we weed out players that don't fit here.

The only stat more important than points allowed for a defensive coordinator is wins and losses.

When anyone talks about the great defenses such as the '85 Bears or 2001 Ravens they talk about points allowed in a season.

No one gives 2 shits how many yards they gave up.

Points on the scoreboard matter, you can argue that all you like.

So Trgovac was just as good a DC as Jim Johnson then?

This is an article from yesterday that Jason La Canfora put up yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b527b6/article/jobs-might-be-safe-for-now-but-coaching-turnover-is-inevitable

Panthers: John Fox is in the final year of his contract, he wanted nothing to do with a short-term extension, and the 0-5 Panthers are very young. Fox will be a hot free agent and the Panthers will likely go with a less-expensive, younger replacement. Coordinators like Leslie Frazier and Brian Schottenheimer have been on teams' target lists for years, and if there's a blowout in Dallas and Jason Garrett recalibrates some of his financial demands from a few years back maybe he comes into play. The Bill Cowher rumors have been swirling for years, but the people I speak to don't believe there is a financial fit there and don't expect it to go down.

SEAN McDERMOTT

McDermott2.jpg...McDermott1.jpg

CURRENT JOB: Defensive Coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles

HISTORY: Eagles DC (2009-present) Eagles DB Coach (2008) Eagles LB Coach (2007) Eagles DB Coach (2004-2006) Eagles Assistant DB Coach (2002-2004) Eagles Defensive QC Coach (2001) Assistant to Eagles Head Coach (1999-2000)

DOB: 03/21/74 (36)

STRENGTHS: Considered by many in the league to be the brightest young defensive mind out there. Spent ten years studying under one of the best defensive minds in league history (Jim Johnson). Eagles have continued to be a strong defensive team since he took over as DC after Johnson began to succumb to cancer. Dedicated to the point of being obsessive (which can be a double-edged sword). Like Eagles head coach Andy Reid, McDermott sleeps at his office during the regular season.

QUESTIONS: Might be a bit overhyped because of the Jim Johnson connection. Eagle defense is still reasonably strong, but some question whether it is falling off a bit. Hasn’t been on the job that long. No experience outside of the Eagles organization.

PANTHER CONNECTIONS: Coached against the Panthers in the disastrous 2009 opener.

WHO HE MIGHT BRING WITH HIM: Dick Jauron, current Eagles DB coach and an experienced DC. Given his Eagle background, reasonable to expect he'd want a West Coast guy for an OC, something which would be more suited to Jimmy Clausen's strengths than our current system.

WHY WE MIGHT NOT GET HIM: Could be some competition for him. Plus, if the Eagles think of him as an heir apparent to Andy Reid (and he likes the idea) it might be difficult to pry him away from Philadelphia.

ODDS AND ENDS: Youngest of the potential candidates (edging Schottenheimer by about six months). He and Jason Garrett share the distinction of being two of the younger coaches and the only redheads in the candidate pool (not that it means anything). Played safety in college and credits that with helping him understand defensive principles.

ANALYSIS: One of the tougher ones to evaluate. His resume' is all Eagles, all the time. Has only been with the Eagles and may not want to leave them. Good chance the team could consider him heir apparent to Reid’s job, which could make him hard to obtain. Young and fiery, but so was Jack Del Rio in Carolina. He was given a head coaching job after only a short time as a coordinator, and it hasn’t gone so well. And again, while he studied under one of the all time greats, there are still questions as to whether he’s going to live up to that rep. Throw in that while most guys have experience with multiple systems, McDermott has always been in Philly. Would he succeed outside of that system? Unknown. My take here is that while McDermott may indeed be one of the hot commodities right now, I’m a bit leary of handing him a head coach’s reins until I’ve seen more (remainder of this season may tell us a lot).

READ UP: Eagles Media Guide

WATCH: Eagles Press Pass: Sean McDermott

mcdermott's lack of seasoning is what concerns me more than anything. alot of people would like his version of 4-3(me included) but i would be fine with what we currently do with some tweaks & upgrades here & there

You could argue that hiring McDermott is something of a gamble, maybe even a huge gamble.

If he turns out to be as good as his mentors, you've got a perennial winner, and a young one with lots of tread on the tires. He could conceivably be successful for a decade or more.

On the flipside though, if it turns out you bought in on him too early, it could be a pretty big setback, both for him and for the franchise.

Jim Johnson most certainly could have been a head coach, but from what I understand, didn't want to. I wonder if McDermott will be a perennial coordinator as well.

Gotta admit the fact that he's never coached anywhere outside of the Eagles concerns me. The Eagles are a very well-run organization. What happens when you take him out of that structure? If it turns out it was the system and not him, you could be in for some rough going.

There are times when I'm glad it isn't my job to make these decisions :)

(Insert "We're happy about that too" comment here) :mad:

Jim has had other valuable experience....an NFL QB, an NFL coach, successful HC at 2 programs. I think he is our guy.

I wouldn't mind Harbaugh, but I really would be surprised if he got the job. I think Zimmer could be good if he wants the job. I would much prefer him, honestly, to Frazier.

Looking forward to your Grimm overview, Mr. Scot :)

(PS: The Panthers need to beat the 49ers next week, if only so you can get rid of that damn avatar)

See my sig... I want a change in philosophy.

I see the bandwagon is definitely growing :lol:

I'll admit the idea of a Harbaugh-Luck combo is intriguing. Although it may have happened, I can't recall offhand an instance of a coach and quarterback rising from the college ranks to the pros together.

If they're as good in the pros as in college though, Harbaugh-Luck could potentially be for us what Payton-Brees is for New Orleans.

All speculation at this point, of course.

Archived