• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade the number one overall pick?

Brokenbad

This may be the best chance we have in a decade to get a legitimate franchise QB. Unless they see something in Clausen that defies what the majority of us see right now.

Nope, Luck looks like a franchise QB - when you are in position to draft one of those guys you take them.

agreed with these.

You cant pass on a guy like Andrew Luck but if hes not there and we manage to get 2 1st rounders and a 2nd or 3rd I'd say do it. Maybe Patrick Peterson and a real d lineman. Too bad those bafoons traded our now early 2nd round pick for armanti edwards.... that would be a starter on d line or o line.

Hurney has always said we take the best available player on our board regardless of position.

Not sure how Luck cannot be seen as the best available player on anyone's board as of right now, and we need all the help at QB we can get.

If we want to hire Harbaugh as a HC, drafting Luck might also help lure him here.

It really does depend on the HC, my guess is that our next HC will want to bring in a veteran QB that is familiar with the system he wants to run and that QB will probably be our opening day starter unless Clausen catches fire, regarless of whether we draft Luck or not.

I believe we have a sustainable defense with what we have. I think that is what we currently do best at. What we need is an offense that can move the ball and score. That being said, I feel like what we truely lack is power/talent on the O'line, especially with Otah out. Until you can protect the passer and open up holes for the runner, we are going to have an unproductive offense. However, it may be in our best interest to jump on Green at WR, or trade down for a middle of the 1st pick and early second rounder to pick up some talent for the line.

trade down in the first, save money, pick up another 2nd and more for our wasted Armanti pick...

a rookie QB isn't going to fix the ills of this team... a new OC and HC will help, and you don't get those with draft picks...

I'm sure many(including me) said the same of Bradford. Look at what he's doing with the Rams right now, with a worse receiving core than the Panthers...

Why do the Panthers have to save money anyways? Next season, even if they resign all of the core players(Kalil, Davis, Williams, etc) the payroll will still be among the bottom of the league.

and it's not exactly easy trading the #1 overall pick. Many teams see it as a curse because of the monster contract that is pretty much guaranteed. The ONLY team I could see being interested in such a trade is the Bills who will want Luck, but I see at best getting their first, and maybe a 3rd rounder out of it. I doubt they'd give up a high value second unless we kicked in a few more draft picks or a good player to the deal.

Teams had a hard time trading away the #1 overall because of the huge guaranteed contract which should be fixed by the new CBA. But mainly, teams couldn't pull it off because none of the teams trading down were going to take a franchise QB #1.

For people saying we wouldn't get more than a 3rd or thinking it's completely impossible...

Chargers traded away #1 overall (Eli Manning) and got...

#4 overall pick (Phillip Rivers)

3rd rounder, 65th overall (Nate Kaeding)

1st round pick next year, ended up being 12th overall (Shawne Merriman)

Future 5th rounder, ended up being 144th overall (traded)

Jerry won't spend the money on that high of a pick again... Look how all of our high picks have worked out for us (Pep and Collins)...

He'll trade down and get more (or more chances) for the money...

Personally, I think a lot of you are making a huge assumption that potential FAs will want to stay here, and within a few seasons we are likely going to have to replace the core of our team...

Our D still features a patchwork line that relies on a rotation to keep in fresh guys and the offense guessing... Our LB depth is still pretty much the worst in the league... Our star WR is going downhill fast... Our QB has yet to look like the pro he is supposed to be... Our OL has had a mysterious illness all year... Our kicker is 65 years old and requires a second roster spot for kickoff duties...

Teams had a hard time trading away the #1 overall because of the huge guaranteed contract which should be fixed by the new CBA. But mainly, teams couldn't pull it off because none of the teams trading down were going to take a franchise QB #1.

For people saying we wouldn't get more than a 3rd or thinking it's completely impossible...

Chargers traded away #1 overall (Eli Manning) and got...

#4 overall pick (Phillip Rivers)

3rd rounder, 65th overall (Nate Kaeding)

1st round pick next year, ended up being 12th overall (Shawne Merriman)

Future 5th rounder, ended up being 144th overall (traded)

Understand what you mean, but in fairness that was a pretty unique situation.

Manning had stated pretty clearly that he refused to play for San Diego. They picked him anyway, and the Giants picked Rivers.

After the picks were already made, that's when they worked out the swap.

Not sure we'll ever see a situation like that again.

The fact that Manning said he wouldn't play for the Chargers gave them even less leverage yet they still made out like bandits with that trade.

I just think people are off when they say we can trade down for a mid 1st rounder and get an extra 2nd... or trade down a few spots and get a 3rd or later pick.

If we trade down all the way into the middle of the 1st we should at the very minimum get a future 1st out of it and probably some later picks as well.

Trading down a few spots you should get at the minimum a very high 2nd rounder and possibly even a future 1.

With a new CBA in place that limits these huge rookie contracts this should be the most highly coveted #1 pick in years.

Archived