• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into Scherer's approach

Mr. Scot

From Chandler: New QB Coach No Stranger

Scherer said he's looking forward to working with a veteran like Delhomme “who's coachable and wants to get better.”

He said he and Delhomme agree that it's important to get refreshed on the elementary aspects of playing the position.

“I know a lot of guys don't adhere to that in the NFL,” said Scherer. “But Jake wants that. He wants to get back to focusing on fundamentals and technique, and on the mental part of the game, the emotional part of playing the position, the leadership, handling the pressure, things like that. I don't think you can neglect any of those.

“A lot of times there's a tendency to focus on the scheme and understanding concepts. Those are a big part, but not the only part, of playing that position.”

I like the sound of this.

Of special note:

He wants to get back to focusing on fundamentals and technique, and on the mental part of the game, the emotional part of playing the position, the leadership, handling the pressure, things like that.

You could infer from Jake saying he wants to "get back to" those things that they may not have been a focus previously.

Something that just came to mind was how a lot of reports stated that Jake felt like he had a completely new arm after the surgery. One would think that if he was playing through the pain for that long that some of his tendencies in his technique were due to the adjustment from the pain.

Like you said Mr. Scot, it doesn't seem that working on those accepts weren't focused on by McCoy. With Jake's "new" arm, a lot of his technique had to have need erred by the habits before.

I never pictured Jake having too big of an ego to always improve and admit he needs improving, but that playoff game will help motivate him more than no other... The work he put in to come back from Tommy John surgery shows he has the work ethic and motivation already...

I think that this should definitely help Jake. The way he throws the ball now isn't exactly pretty, and I don't know how much better he can get, but I would definitely like to see some improvement in that area. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

Something that just came to mind was how a lot of reports stated that Jake felt like he had a completely new arm after the surgery. One would think that if he was playing through the pain for that long that some of his tendencies in his technique were due to the adjustment from the pain.

Like you said Mr. Scot, it doesn't seem that working on those accepts weren't focused on by McCoy. With Jake's "new" arm, a lot of his technique had to have need erred by the habits before.

Sounds logical. Hope this is the reason because I dont want to start over just yet with a new QB. Hes also going to have to fix Delhommes psyche...

Archived